It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Email Alerts and Websites for Geological/Meteorological Events

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I thought it might be nice to have a working thread of all resources found to be helpful by users here at ATS as they pertain to geological and meteorological events. Initially, I wanted to find out how to get email alerts for things such as earthquakes, but thought it may be a good opportunity to share where we all collect our information, who or what generates said information, and any pertinent experiences, like whether an email sent to a site will receive a response.

This forum has educated many of us in these fields, and compressing resources may help us each have a complete library as well as inspire newcomers to start digging!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I peek at the "Live Internet Seismic Server" site occasionally to get a quick glimpse of activity.
aslwww.cr.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

I go to Watts Up With That? wattsupwiththat.com... under the reference page you can find a lot of data ,,, they also have a good active blog with lots of comments from smart people ....peace

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is exactly what I was hoping for - thank you all!

Let's keep this rolling. If we have enough replies, I'll compile a resource guide for everyone.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
This is exactly what I was hoping for - thank you all!

Let's keep this rolling. If we have enough replies, I'll compile a resource guide for everyone.

Thank you for the post - and of course the responses. This will turn out to be one of the most useful threads on the site I believe.

Thanks again to all.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Some meteorological options:

General info (US) - www.nws.noaa.gov... OR www.weather.gov... (pretty much the same thing.)

General map of US - www.weather.com...

Current Satellite View of US - www.accuweather.com...

Current Extreme US Weather Map - www.wunderground.com...

Current US Watches and Warnings Map - www.weather.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by userid1

Let's hope so. We should all have a better understanding of our environment and its effect on the weather and topography. This is an opportunity for new users to get an understanding of the fields, and hopefully compile a useful guide (giving credit where credit is due, of course .
)

For not-so-new users like me, it's a chance to see all of the resources in one place, instead of poking and searching.

Come on experts and soon-to-be experts! Show off and shine!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
One potential notification option...

Here in DC, we have an all news/weather/traffic station (WTOP). They offer an instant notification app you can download and sign up for. They CAN"T be the only radio station that does this (though more likely in heavily urban areas than otherwise I suspect) - so maybe a Google of your local area for apps that will give you instant notification of "significant" events?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

RSOE displays all disasters....including this recent fish die off today!

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

That is a cool site!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
any good blackberry earthquake apps?

I have heard of one for the iphone that notifies you when there is a quake over a certain magnitude.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Dinkle
any good blackberry earthquake apps?

I have heard of one for the iphone that notifies you when there is a quake over a certain magnitude.

Wanting to get an email notification is what got me going to start this post. I'm stuck with a blackberry too! I remember hearing about this during the Japan quake. Gonna check on usgs.gov...

ETA: email alerts from usgs.gov
edit on 9/14/2011 by chasingbrahman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

edit on 9/14/2011 by

awesome,

thanks!!!
edit on 14-9-2011 by ignant because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant

edit on 9/14/2011 by

awesome,

thanks!!!
edit on 14-9-2011 by ignant because: (no reason given)

Carefull what you wish for, I guess that thing pings like crazy all day on your phone...lol extra DIV

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Great thread. I will use these links regularly. Thanks for putting this together everyone.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1
reply to post by chasingbrahman

I go to Watts Up With That? wattsupwiththat.com... under the reference page you can find a lot of data ,,, they also have a good active blog with lots of comments from smart people ....peace

Thank you so much for that site. It not only gives me visual displays of just about anything I could think to want but several of the sources his site uses are open and free for any site to use. It's supplied new features to at least one of my own websites.

This thread to collect sites has already paid off. Great idea to start it!

new topics

top topics

active topics

join