It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New emotion detector can see when we're lying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Just came across this on the BBC Website, but did hear it on the News yesterday. Apologies if it has been posted but I have done a search and nothing came up.

A sophisticated new camera system can detect lies just by watching our faces as we talk, experts say.

Apparently this could become a new powerful tool for security services. Another piece of technology to be used in the fight against crime? Maybe, but it's interesting to see that this has been designed in conjunction with the U.K Border Agency, so I'm guessing it will be used in rooting out illegal immigrants.

The system, developed by a team from the universities of Bradford and Aberystwyth in conjunction with the UK Border Agency, was unveiled today at the British Science Festival in Bradford.

This new detector picks up little twitches, blood flow and other tell tale signs our bodies give away when we are telling whopping lies or even little white ones.

We give our emotions away in our eye movements, dilated pupils, biting or pressing together our lips, wrinkling our noses, breathing heavily, swallowing, blinking and facial asymmetry. And these are just the visible signs seen by the camera.

But obviously it will need a little refining before we see widespread use as it has about a 66% success rate currently. I am sure they will work on this if there is sufficient interest from around the globe.

So, whilst we should not expect to see it in use any day soon, this is the future of lie detectors. I know a few people who could well be quaking in their shoes if the broadcasters get their hands on such technology.

Link:- www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
wouldnt catch me in a lie. NEVER!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
So...can we set one of these up next to Obama's teleprompter and test one out?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Then they should use it on the politicians.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
while i find such a lie detector intriguing, i feel that it will be used for the wrong reasons. for example, if the people operating the detector decide that you are guilty of whatever it is they are testing you for, then it would not be difficult to cause the device to read a "false positive".

it may be used against people who actively try to spread information that TPTB don't want the general population to know, in order to silence them and undermine their integrity.

but that's just my mind thinking. maybe i've spent too much time lurking ATS

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Youji69

Maybe follow Treadupon a Jinni's advice. Test it on the politicians first just to check how accurate it really is.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
So...can we set one of these up next to Obama's teleprompter and test one out?

That wouldn't work. Pre-scripted speeches aren't necessarily emotion based and as such would not provoke a physiological response. He is essentially just narrating.

Which is one of the aspects of the "I hate the current President" expressions I can't understand. The system is not just the President. He is not all powerful and is merely a voice for his party and corporate interest.

Blame the system in this case, not the President. While I am left leaning, The Bush Family has a history of not only corporate involvement for personal gain but dived into politics and the intelligence community. That seems way sketchier to me than the current puppet...and he is still a better choice than what the GOP is offering currently...save for Ron Paul...perhaps...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
yeah this has been around for a while. micro movements of the face blah blah blah. the problem is those same experts are still fooled by expert liers. If a person is a comfortable lier and has his story prepared before hand he can look as normal as anybody telling the truth while lieing through his teeth. you can not spot a professional lier because there is no difference in their normal behavior even on the minute subconcious scale.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Sounds like something from Stargate SG-1...the Tok'Ra invented a similar device, where even if you say something out of sequence, it says that you are lying....

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Sorry, but I don't believe there is any such thing as a good Liar. Having worked within the Department of Work and Pensions, I came across many liars, and that was just the management.

Your body language does give you away, no matter how much you try to control it.

Unless of course you believe the lie to be the truth, but I feel that can only be done through Brain Washing techniques. So unless Obama is a MK Ultra agent, these detectors will be refined to be more effective and therefore catch people out.

But anyway, what chance these detectors being used on politicians? They have nothing to fear from this, or if they felt they did, it will quickly disappear.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

You are correct about those that believe their lies to be truth. Usually in those that suffer from Antisocial personality disorders are able to believe their lies as truth as soon as they form in their head. Those that are psychopathic and schizophrenic are able to get away with lies as if it wasn't a lie at all.

More reading here: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jinni73

A lie detector should be anyone listening to a politician ;-)

Seriously though, in 1987/88 in the military there was interrogation technology available that was purely audio based. It analyzed high and low frequency secondary sounds carried in the voice to determine what was truth and what was a lie. I know, I used it LOL. A camera seems a bit cumbersome to me and from a software/hardware vantage much like using a sledgehammer to pound in a tack.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
reply to post by jinni73

Seriously though, in 1987/88 in the military there was interrogation technology available that was purely audio based. It analyzed high and low frequency secondary sounds carried in the voice to determine what was truth and what was a lie. I know, I used it LOL. A camera seems a bit cumbersome to me and from a software/hardware vantage much like using a sledgehammer to pound in a tack.

Cheers - Dave

You know they use the technology you are referring to in the U.K.

Anyone wishing to make a claim on their insurance policy have to talk to a claims advisor who are using this to determine if the claim is genuine or not. If the Claims Advisor is in the least bit suspicious they send someone around to investigate the claim.

A lot of local authorities have also started using for Benefit claims. People are now required to speak to someone in a call centre if they wish to claim housing benefit and they are asked a series of questions. Again, if the claimant sounds a bit suspect, they send in the clowns, I mean visiting officer.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
reply to post by jinni73

Cheers - Dave

You know they use the technology you are referring to in the U.K.

Anyone wishing to make a claim on their insurance policy have to talk to a claims advisor who are using this to determine if the claim is genuine or not. If the Claims Advisor is in the least bit suspicious they send someone around to investigate the claim.

A lot of local authorities have also started using for Benefit claims. People are now required to speak to someone in a call centre if they wish to claim housing benefit and they are asked a series of questions. Again, if the claimant sounds a bit suspect, they send in the clowns, I mean visiting officer.

Yeah, I've heard that before re used by insurance companies, but the technology was proven with the military in the mid 80's. We didn't have any in South Africa so I made my own using bandpass and notch filters then I'd pass the signal to a series of comparators and a ladder LED output device to give me the "level" of stress. It was an easy "fix" and used to interrogate ANC terrorists, you know like the Mandela bunch and his stooges running weapons across the border.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/14.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: spelling

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Moving into Minority Report pre-crime. They fail to factor in free will and the ability for humans to change their mind at any moment.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Youji69

I think you are correct.
The machine doesn't have to work the majority simply has to believe it does for it to be misused.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

There are 7 Universal Emotions.

You have disgust, anger, happiness, contempt, sadness, fear, and surprise. There is a catch though. They flash on someones face at 1/100th of a second. Most people that have been studying about lies and deception and what not, can easily spot these 1/100th of a second facial expressions.

These expressions are going to be the same on someones face whether they are blue, green, black, white, African, Irish, German, or whatever.

Having a machine spot them would be unbelievable, because you'd never see another lair get away. Not that the science is 100% perfect, but I'd say from what I researched that 98.99% of the time, your lair will be a true lair.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think a character called Garrak from DS9 said something along the lines of ...
"To be an effective liar you must practice constantly."

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by InshaAllah
wouldnt catch me in a lie. NEVER!

Are you lying about that?

top topics

join