It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The joy of older consoles....(and games)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Well, my XBox 360 is being repaired (or maybe replaced, we'll see)...so I basically reverted to playing my PS2 during the downtime, whenever I have the urge to just blow some things up...

I popped in Champions of Norrath, and I had forgotten how fun this game is...

Reminds me of a few years back, when I hooked up the N64, and played a little Goldeneye....

Great games simply hold up.... I'd recommend revisiting them if you get the chance. Usually, it will be so long ago, it's like playing it again for the first time.....

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Duke Nukem

All you need to know.

I actually have a xbox "emulator" its a regular xbox with a custom hard drive. What I can do with it is take a game, put it in, then copy the game to the xbox so I no longer need the disc to play. Sounds cool huh?

It also have 10s of thousands of older games on it, including playstation, sega, snes, nes and atari just to name a few. There are also a bunch of the "first" computer games to ever be released like pong and whatnot. Its really an amazing system and I only paid 100$ for it like 10years ago from a fellow computer genius.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

For poopies and giggles,I still sometimes mess around with my old nintendo 64.
Sad to admit,but i even have an atari.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Of course:

Banjo Kazooie
Perfect Dark
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

And I quite enjoyed Body Harvest as well.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I'll break out my old PS2 and I am guaranteed to lose days of my life playing Jak & Daxter. A truly fantastic game.

But, the Dreamcast will always have a special place in my heart. There was just something about that machine.

st.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
For poopies and giggles,I still sometimes mess around with my old nintendo 64.

I was about to post same thing
. N64 had best games in their class. Mario 64 was just ingenious. Golden Eye revolutionay for FPS's. StarFox, Ocarina of time, memories, yay ;]

On other hand PS had Metal Gear Solid, I actually finished it when only japanese version was avalaible, trust me guys, it wasnt easy
. Got stuck on part where you're suppose to blow wall with Nikita rocket, but you can only see it in FPP. Took me few days to randomly spot it ;]
edit on 14-9-2011 by stainlesssteelrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
"OLDER" pshhhhhh! Go download some of the old school emulators. Sega, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, etc. They are all free now along with tons of games. You would be surprised at how fun some of the truly classics can be. Metroid, Contra, Metalgear, Ecco the dolphin, EDEN, there are too many to name. I play them all on my computer with a universal game pad.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Goldeneye on the N64 will always be where it is at...

Got a NES and and a mastersystem too, gotta love old gaming... need to repair my Amiga 500

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I recently played all the old sega megadrive games on the xbox.. and to be honest.. they were all crap, even my favorites!.. i was so disappointed.

sometimes its better to keep these things as fond memories in the mind....

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Got a NES and and a mastersystem too, gotta love old gaming... need to repair my Amiga 500

Haha, i had NES too, it was some challenge to finish those games without saving ;].

Always cracks me up, explicit vocabulary folks

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Oh yeh, atari 2600, c64, amiga.. a gazillion games u can all download and play on emulators or visit the vintage computer/video game section in ebay.

I recently saw a packaged working c64 with disk drive and a bundle of stuff still working sell on ebay for over $500.. like twice what you can get a modern computer for just about. People love this stuff and there is little doubt why, because the games today, are merely revamps of the same old thing, over and over. First person style shooters or role playing games, RTS wargames and, umm.. not alot else coming out really.

You can see the same game, Dune 2, repackaged hundreds of times, better graphics, difference twists.. but its the same game.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I still have my PS1 and PS2. I hardly play with them anymore but they're there. But out of all the consols I had through the years, I miss my Dreamcast the most. It was very badazz. First consol with internet connectivity. The games kicked butt. The graphics were awesome....I wish they would port games from the DreamCast so we could get them on PSN. Like Shenmue, Speed Deamons, Spawn, UFC...the list goes on.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

While the PS2 is up you might want to give Shadow of The Colossus a try, if you have not tried it already. It is my favorite video game and the only reason I have a PS2 at the moment.

The SoC and ICO combo pack is coming out on the 27th of this month with Shadow of The Colossus being remastered; this will be my excuse to get the PS3.

www.familyvideo.com...

Are you into those types of games? What did you think of Oblivion?

Also, in terms of older games, it is not console but the original Diablo is really challenging and a fun throwback.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Haha, i had NES too, it was some challenge to finish those games without saving ;].

lol.. you just reminded me about this problem, i used to leave my console on for hours when i went out.. sometimes it would be switched on and paused for more than a day!

lucky i didnt start a fire!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gravity215
You can see the same game, Dune 2, repackaged hundreds of times, better graphics, difference twists.. but its the same game.

I triend the re-endition of UFO:Enemy Unkown, an absolutely cult game for me, UFO:Extraterrestials, some guys made it totally outside of the Microprose serie, basicaly revamped UFO:EU. I enjoyed it at start, but after few days got bored it and tossed it out. Changes they made were just stupid, you could see lack of experienced producer's hand. No mind control, GTFO

Originally posted by Misterlondon
i used to leave my console on for hours when i went out.. sometimes it would be switched on and paused for more than a day!

Oh cmon, Mario was only like 6hrs straight

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by stainlesssteelrat

Tell me about it...LOL My buddy and I, we still hang out by the way, played Shadow Gate for 4 days straight. I wouldn't dream of doing this with todays consols. Those were the days...hehehe!!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I broke out pong the other day, it doesn't really stand up to Call of duty or LA Noire to be honest so put it back in the loft.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
I wouldn't dream of doing this with todays consols. Those were the days...hehehe!!

Yeah, somehow less was more
. I really don't envy kids with today's games, glitter as they are, they don't bring so much entertainment to me
I don't envy them with google and youtube, they were strippped of process of pursue, I call it. You know, old days if you been crazy about some band and lets say you wanted get some sweet concert video you had to go trough a lot effort, ask people, go to some small music shops etc etc, process which was usually more rewarding than getting this worn VHS on the end

Sometimes hard way is a right way.

Originally posted by On the level
I broke out pong the other day, it doesn't really stand up to Call of duty or LA Noire to be honest so put it back in the loft.

Try dust off Another World or Flashback
. Or Monkey Island ;].

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

lol.. you just reminded me about this problem, i used to leave my console on for hours when i went out.. sometimes it would be switched on and paused for more than a day!

lucky i didnt start a fire!

from a different time though, where computer systems didnt start electrical fires

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Original DOOM.

Bam!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join