It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAT scores for TX high school students drop sharply, College entrance exam scores fall across nation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
www.dallasnews.com...

AUSTIN – Texas high school students stumbled badly on the SAT this year as scores dropped sharply in math, reading and writing to their lowest levels in several years.

They were not alone -- average scores across the nation on the college entrance exam also dropped, although not as precipitously as in Texas.

In Texas for the last 10 years, reading scores have steadily been dropping, and when the writing part was introduced in 2006, scores for that have steadily been in decline to.

Each section of the SAT has a maximum score of 800.

The average math score for the class of 2011 in Texas was 502, down three points from a year ago. In reading, the average score was down five points to 479, the lowest in several years. And in writing, the average score was down eight points to 465.

Nationally, the average for math was 514 – down two points – and for reading 497 – down four points. The writing score was down three points.

The article is saying that the Texas Education Agency says scores are dropping because of the increasing number of ethnic minorities taking the tests.

But, scores were higher on another test, the ACT.

The decline in scores in Texas and other states came as a surprise to state officials, who noted that scores improved on other tests -- such as the ACT, the other major college entrance exam in the U.S.

Im not really sure what to draw from this. Ive lost track of how many different tests there are. Other than those above, there were the TAKS tests, TAAS tests and I think theres a new one called the STAAR test or something similar. How many different tests do we need? Are all of these neccesary? Then there's the budget cuts in education in Texas. Some of our schools are already overcrowded.
edit on 14-9-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Meanwhile British school, college and university exam results get better and better every year with more people getting the highest grade possible.

So how can the US mimic the success of British students then?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
Meanwhile British school, college and university exam results get better and better every year with more people getting the highest grade possible.

So how can the US mimic the success of British students then?

its simple you just adjust the pass grade to meet the required political wish and jobs done, and just because we brits get better grades every year doesn't mean we are getting smarter

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I would wager that the tests that you mentioned, excluding the SAT and ACT, are state standardized tests. These tests would be used to see if a student can be promoted to the next grade; much like Florida and the FCAT.

How many of these tests are needed? In my opinion, only the SAT and ACT, because they are college entrance exams. The others are stupid; and I say that from the position of needing to take the FCAT when I was in school. This is because the teachers become more concerned with "test taking strategies" and just making sure that the kids can bubble the answers in correctly than actually teaching the students. I remember specifically in English class making stupid web flow charts and things like that day, after day, after day because the English teacher was petrified that we wouldn't be able to write a five paragraph essay correctly. (Oh, another reason the tests are important to the teachers is because the schools can get extra money from the state is they do well [which is weird—shouldn't the money go to the schools that need help?] and/or the teacher's job may be on the line.)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Of course, this isn't necessarily a good thing. The grades getting better and better, and more students getting the highest grade possible might be an indication that the classes/tests are getting dumbed-down.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It really does bother me to see the younger members of our society being dumbed down. Is it a lack of parenting? A lack of proper education methods?

Maybe our education system needs to adapt to meet the new student's needs. We are living in a very different world today than we were even 10 years ago, so it only makes sense that the children of today have a different style of learning. Maybe it has something to do with all the technology that is available to the youth, such as cell phones with internet access and social networking.

I think that the next wave of leaders can be very bright and of course even smarter than the current 20-30 somethings, but I believe that the education system is going to have to adapt to the new times in order to reach these students.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
NONE of these tests are needed. The TAAS test (a Texas Public School test) is a farce, with teachers teaching to test content, not real world issues and challenges.

The SAT/ACT are useless as well. If a person wants to pony up the money to go to college, why the hell do THEY care how smart that person is? Just to protect their stats? My friends, that is what is called "lying". If you only accept the "upper crust" test takers, then you obviously will produce the "upper crust" test takers as well.

With the cost of a college education skyrocketing, many are deciding that it just isn't worth the investment. I spent some time talking with a former DuPont exec the other evening. He stated to me, "If i could do it all over again, i woulda quit in 8th grade. By then, I knew simple addition/subtraction, and was fully prepared for my future role as a business leader"

I agreed with him. I dropped out of college my freshman year. No, i am not wealthy. But i have supervised people with MBA's on multiple occasions.

There is no substitute for ingenuity, insight, balls, and zeal. And no test will measure all of those to any degree.

If anyone wants to know why our schools suck, look in the mirror. It isn't rocket science: when you try something and it isn't working, stop doing it. And since our schools are locally driven (at least in Texas) via property taxes, the only ones to blame are the ones electing school board members.

A pet peeve that I am quickly gaining are people who bemoan ineffective or abusive government. It is our own damned fault for allowing it.

top topics

join