It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stealth Alien Planet Found By New Technique

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Wow. Who knows just what we will discover next. There is so much about space that we have no idea about. This is definitely an interesting find and worth the read.

For the first time, scientists have definitively discovered an "invisible" alien planet by noticing how its gravity affects the orbit of a neighboring world, a new study reports. NASA's Kepler space telescope detected both alien planets, which are known as Kepler-19 b and Kepler- 19c. Kepler spotted 19b as it passed in front of, or transited, its host star. Researchers then inferred the existence of 19c after observing that 19b 's transits periodically came a little later or earlier than expected. The gravity of 19c tugs on 19b , changing its orbit. The discovery of Kepler- 19c marks the first time this method — known as transit timing variation, or TTV — has robustly found an exoplanet, researchers said. But it almost certainly won't be the last.

link to source

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Very cool. Good find. S/F

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
God, please don't let this turn into a "see I told you Nibiru is real" thread.
I do believe we have a nemesis star out there, but I don't believe it comes anywhere near our local sun.

What about planets and space objects that can be only visible in the UV and infrared ranges?
Are they acknowledging UV planets exist?
edit on 14-9-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

ah man, c'mon, we NEED another nibiru doomsday thread eh?! I hope it doesnt turn into one either though...really.

cheers

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
this is good news! i'm glad that science still has a place in this world and that it is not all gloom and doom..

i would also like to see new discoveries in the microverse - we are learning much from studying the universe with powerful telescopes, and i am sure that we can also learn much by using powerful microscopes to explore the tiny universe of subatomic particles.

as above, so below!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sirhc0329

Is it invisible, because we can't see it or what? Wonder what life would be like on something considered invisible...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I just don't realized how we didn't discover this much earlier?

Wow.Really amazing.

Space is one truly amazing and beautiful place.It's full of surprises!

S&F!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by agentofchaos

It's invisible because we can't observe it directly, as we can its parent star. It's not actually invisible. Or rather -- it probably isn't. It could be though. We just don't have a technology that allows us to observe it optically.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
OMG! I told you all Nibiru is real! OMG!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Interesting, but title is extremely misleading.

Stealth Alien Planet = Far away Exo Planet.

Also appears to be a robotic double thread, I think someone beat you to the punch by 3 minutes.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nikola014

Wow.Really amazing.

S&F!

space is a "place".... hmmm

so Nibiru being invisible isn't a highly speculative theory anymore is it....

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
"it's a trap!"

sorry someone had to do it

that is really excellent, this means new models for planet discovery and calculating how many planets there are ou there

if we ever get around the whole relativistic limitations of "interstellar" travel then we can do some real sampling, Von Neumann machines will probably be what we use unfortunately

what would be ironic is if human civilization rose and fell already in long enough time that these alien "visitors" are just our Von Neumann machines returning with upload before they head out again. Which would explain their stranglry non interactive behaviour

but I digress
nice find OP

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

Originally posted by Nikola014

Wow.Really amazing.

S&F!

space is a "place".... hmmm

so Nibiru being invisible isn't a highly speculative theory anymore is it....

Yeah,like Nibiru is real...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
God, please don't let this turn into a "see I told you Nibiru is real" thread.
I do believe we have a nemesis star out there, but I don't believe it comes anywhere near our local sun.

What about planets and space objects that can be only visible in the UV and infrared ranges?
Are they acknowledging UV planets exist?
edit on 14-9-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

well "near" would be relative now wouldn't it....

and by nemesis do you mean a binary sister star or just some star out there we can't see...
if its here and invisible then how in hell do you 'believe' it not to come near us?... wishful thinking?
periodic mass extinction and the recent earthquakes in line with us and elenin are more prevalent data suggesting you're wrong though...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

i used the same title from the article. And no, im not a robot, i searched for it but didnt find anything. Sorry if it is a double post. Cheers
edit on 03/27/2010 by sirhc0329 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This is not a new method used to find exoplanets, and you simply aren't going to see planets that size 650 light years away. Only 2 or maybe 3 exoplanets have ever been imaged, super gas giants much closer than this.

Here's what a gas giant looks like at only 25 light years away.

top topics

join