It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milky Way Owes Its Shape to Crashes With Dwarf Galaxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I did search and didn't find this posted...Very interesting stuff if ya ask me! I am always fascinated with space findings, and I have wondered how our galaxy got its shape. I guess we know now. Enjoy

Two collisions with a dwarf galaxy over the last nearly 2 billion years may have been the cause of the Milky Way's spiral arm structure, scientists say. The new findings hint that impacts with even relatively small galaxies have played an important role in shaping galactic structure throughout the universe, researchers said. In trying to explain the shape of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, with its prominent spiral arms rooted in a central bar, scientists have traditionally dismissed the influence of outside forces, even though astronomers have seen shape- changing mergers of other galaxies.

Read article here

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Watch how you word your headlines - the trial lawyers are going to want to sue the dwarf galaxy for negligence if you aren't careful. Then the dwarf galaxy will hire lawyers and it will be one giant legal mess.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sirhc0329

You might find this thread by zorgon interesting as its along the same lines as your thread

Milky Way - welcome to your new home Galaxy

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

i remember reading that thread when he/she posted it...thanks for reminding me! cheers

new topics

top topics

join