It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invisible 'Chameleon' Tank Finally Revealed (amazing stuff)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f410804aff1f.jpg[/atsimg]
New camoflage tech means this tank can not only change form, it can even become invisible to infrared sensors.

Adaptiv -- an armor encasing that looks and feels as one imagines a dragon's scales to -- turns tanks into chameleons, allowing them to disappear into the environment behind them or to even look like a snow drift, trash can, crowd, or a soccer mom’s station wagon.

A product of BAE working alongside the Swedish Defence Material Administration, Adaptiv flaunts the very latest in camouflage technology. Research began at the end of the nineties in Sweden to look at the proliferation of sensors on the battlefield and to consider how they could meet this threat and defeat the advantage those sensors could give the enemy. The team looked at the best thermals to date and reverse engineered them focusing on 500 meters.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f0e7d005018.jpg[/atsimg]

A system of more than 1,000 5.5-inch hexagonal tiles made of thermo-electric material gives the tank its chameleon-like capability, which can confuse (if not convince) an adversary into thinking it is looking at something it is not. Hesitation can give the warfighters a few more seconds -- which may be the difference on the battlefield. The tiles or pixels can rapidly change temperature directed by thermal cameras that monitor and quickly project adjustments onto them to conform with the tank’s immediate environment.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4cab88df3565.jpg[/atsimg]

To transform into an entirely different object, Adaptiv draws from its pattern library organized by terrain and projects itself as something native to the immediate area. For example, if it enters an Artic environment it can conjure up a polar bear and project itself as one so sensors scanning for a tank see a harmless animal.

Source: www.foxnews.com...

Pretty amazing stuff... I can say that this tech will change the face of warfare.... As you can see at the main article, tanks aren't the only item that can be high tech hidden.

Be sure to read the whole article. Very good.

Well, I have some friends that are in the PA National Guard Striker Unit. I was talking with one and he said that this would/could be a life saver and WELL NEEDED. Especially in Afganistan.

It will be interesting to see how this new tech does in battlefield conditions. I will say it will be pretty darn effective and fun to Mess with the bad guys heads.

edit on 9/14/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Cool, but if they are releasing this information, what technology do they really have? Hmm...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
They sure are releasing a lot of real whiz bang sci fi tech here real recently for the public to finally get a glimpse of. I wonder how much of this was already advanced in development and incorporated into a certain helicopter the United States recently lost to Pakistan and by extension, China? I wonder if they just figure there isn't much point to hiding some of this anymore. It's sure interesting to see, whatever the reason for the timing of the announcements!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
oh yeah, cos the wars America fights it really needs more technology to take on mortars and suicide bombers, seriously what a bunch of cowards. Now the Taliban are going ot blow up yanks cars as well and say, oh well, I thought it was a tank in disguise, no big deal. America should buy a few thousands for sure, definitely needed and yeah a real life saver, lol, who cares aobut the jobless people in America, as long as you can kill more foreigners right?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Haxsaw

It's true, the u.s. spends way too much money on war. If our tax dollars went more towards education and job creation, we would be much better off as a country and society.

But alas, the war mongers need their tanks, the oil mongers need their petrol, and the cash mongers need their central banks.

Maybe this is a show of strength? China has been rising as an economic power, and with a population of over 1.25 billion, it's understandable for the u.s. and other western countries to feel somewhat intimidated, and thus feel the need to show off their military prowess.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
as usual americans and the west make more useless weapons which are bankrupting them.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil
as usual americans and the west make more useless weapons which are bankrupting them.

lol.

i laughed and i find it sickening as well.

to the OP.

nice find but someone has beaten you to the punch
www.abovetopsecret.com...

the thread didn´t recieve much attention though..

SnF either way, was just pointing that out

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

And here is the rub: $Billions Spent - Smartest minds around - killing machine like no body's business...and yet, we are being defeated by:

We should look into radio controlled cars for god's sake.

CJ

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I am not impressed. You can still see it visually and infrared it looks like a subaru station wagon, since you can still see it, it can be line of sight targeted. It doesn't change shape, it isn't some kind of "transformer" LOL. It just changes its heat signature shape. I mean rather than making it look like a station wagon, you think they would have the smarts to make it look like a little old lady with a cane at least. Of course that only works at night as well, but then why the hell would said little old lady be out in the forest at 2am? It's all smoke and mirrors. BS advertising statements by an inept military/industrial complex that fool people into believing their tax dollars are spent on real stuff. What a joke. You'd think they'd hire people with common sense and some military strategy experience, hell no, not any of these @sshats.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/14.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I don't want to show that you apparently didn't read the article or the whole thread.

Please read the main article-particually to what it can do and then come back... (change you post) and move on.

me being a good guy.... I'll save you the trouble...

To transform into an entirely different object, Adaptiv draws from its pattern library organized by terrain and projects itself as something native to the immediate area. For example, if it enters an Artic environment it can conjure up a polar bear and project itself as one so sensors scanning for a tank see a harmless animal.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Hook it up to BAE's LARK and make it autonomous.

The system developed by the company’s Advanced Technology Centre has been designed to be platform agnostic. The system combines a ‘brain box’ containing processing power and algorithms, with a tailored sensor suite and operator interface to transform a military or commercial vehicle into an advanced autonomous platform. LARK allows users to engage and operate vehicles with graded levels of autonomy from tele-operation via remote control, waypoint following of a predefined route through to fully autonomous operations. Vehicles also retain the ability to be operated in a conventional manual mode.

Spooky eh

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4cab88df3565.jpg[/atsimg]

Amazing, it even changed the trees.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrathofall
Cool, but if they are releasing this information, what technology do they really have? Hmm...

Active camo... that is an amazing tech though.

reply to post by ArMaP

Good catch ArMaP, of course we cannot see how it really works

edit on 9/14/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Wow - their PR people can't even photoshop a believable mockup, what makes them think they'll be able to deliver on the actual chameleon tank?

It's a all vapor ware. I'll believe it when I see it (or don't).

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Do you suppose it could take the shape of a hot naked chick.Then while they are gawking take them out.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Um.. it was most likely moving. But, it not... good eye.

I want to see it look like a polar bear.... SHOW ME!!

I am looking for some info from the military show.

Of course, doesn't mean crap unless it actually works in combat situations.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
oh wow. i pictured something completely different.

in my mind i thought "why would you want to make an invisible tank for chameleons? isn't glass see-through enough?"

ok. so a tank that kills people is now very sneaky. i wonder what things they haven't released yet O.o.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

it's cool that it can use it's tiles to make it'self morph like that

but this quote struck me as funny , It can appear as a harmless animal...you know, LIKE A POLAR BEAR!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

so a tank that kills people is now very sneaky

What other reason is a tank for? And what better type of a tank than a sneaky one?

Especially if it is on your side...?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I don't want to show that you apparently didn't read the article or the whole thread.

Please read the main article-particually to what it can do and then come back... (change you post) and move on.

me being a good guy.... I'll save you the trouble...

I hate to tell you this, but what about all that "black" area around the "polar bear" that has nothing in it but is the shape of a tank? It's caused by the lack of sensitivity by thermal imaging camera and to IR wavelengths produced by the tank electronics. I mean c'mon FFS, you expect someone trained in visual cognition of enemy assets to just not happen to notice the big black area? Move on? ROFL, it's a waste of money and no more invisible than me walking down the street. I might be invisible if I were walking with a couple of serious hotties, but that's just perception, not real invisibility, but it might be construed as camouflage. Do you really believe this tripe the MI complex puts out? I hope not, regardless, yer comment was funny.

Cheers - Dave

Edit, just to let you know, I did 4 years in mil strat and national security infrastructure on the R&D, practical application and commissioning end of things. I used TC and designed all manner of of laser and ultrasonic imaging devices for ammunition depots, key points and hundreds of kilometers of lethal border security. You were saying?
edit on 9/14.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join