It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

101-year-old Detroit woman evicted in foreclosure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
101-year-old Detroit woman evicted in foreclosure

A 101-year-old woman was evicted from the southwest Detroit home where she lived for nearly six decades after her 65-year-old son failed to pay the mortgage.

Texana Hollis was evicted Monday and her belongings were placed outside the home. Her son, Warren Hollis, said he didn't pay the bill for several years and disregarded eviction notices.

So what do you think of this, ATS? Her son hadn't paid the mortgage for several years, they owed back taxes (though I can't imagine what a "winter tax" or "summer tax is...can anyone shed any light on this?).

It's interesting the the County Treasurer and other officials are working to help her out. Seems some governments do give a whit about their citizens.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

On Monday night, she was taken to a hospital for evaluation after she became disoriented.

However justified the eviction, it will likely be the beginning of the end for her.

edit on 14-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

60 years in house that isn't paid off? $80k on a house anywhere near Detroit? Sounds like more going on than we can glean from the article?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Thats lame they should have just given it to her as a charity or tax write off. Send the son the bill let the mom keep the house haw haw haw! If he does not pay they can sue him instead for the $ instead of repo the house where the woman will most likely pass.

Trolls!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I don't think there was a mortgage on the house, just back taxes were in arrears!

Keep us posted

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Nice try. It isn't the mortgage company to blame, it's her son.

Sorry to say, but he just assumed nothing would happen to make this woman have to leave her home based on her age. WRONG! He was banking on this one.

I have zero sympathy for her son, but lot's for her. He should have planned better knowing what was eventually down the pike.

Hate to say it, but it wouldn't be fair to anybody else in the same situation if this woman got treated specially just because of her age.

Her son is an idiot!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Per the article another mortgage was taken out in 2002. This is what was not being paid on. It would be my guess that times got hard as Detroit is a very hard place to live right now and they took out another mortgage on the home to help pay some bills and then couldn't afford the new mortgage. It is very sad that things came to this but at the same time at least they are working with her.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Oh come on how much longer until her having a place to live is not really a problem? why do this now its not like the housing market there is hotbed or anything. whatever this is sick

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Seems to me that her son was probably ripping her off, what a shame.If it was a case of them getting the mortgage because they needed money she should have got a reverse mortgage.
en.wikipedia.org...
They would pay her a monthly sum and she could either pay back the money or upon her death the bank would have recieved the house.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Yesterday it was taxes. Now it's a mortgage?

So who's kicking her out? The cold-hearted bank or the cold-hearted government?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Yesterday it was taxes. Now it's a mortgage?

So who's kicking her out? The cold-hearted bank or the cold-hearted government?

The way I see it her son is kicking her out. He was the idiot not paying the mortgage. The house was owned by the bank, and will be until the mortgage is paid off. But there are no winners or losers here. It sucks all around.

/TOA

new topics

top topics

join