It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey reprograms IFF to target Israeli planes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
From Wikipedia: identification, friend or foe (IFF) is an identification system designed for command and control. It is a system that enables military and national (civilian-located ATC) interrogation systems to identify aircraft, vehicles, or forces as friendly and to determine their bearing and range from the interrogator.

Turkey has reprogramed its IFF systems to enable targeting of Israeli warplanes, recategorizing them from "friend" to "foe".

Turkey has developed a new radar system for its US-made F-16 fighter jets that will allow them to fire at Israeli targets, Ankara's Star Gazete reported on Tuesday. The orders to modify the system reportedly came directly from Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's office.

The new radar system – Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) – is a defensive command and control system developed by Turkey's Military Electronics Industry (ASELSAN) for the nation's air force and navy. It is slated to replace a similar US version which is in use today.

The US system is comprised of lists of "friends" and "foes." The system's settings are designed to prevent pilot error as well, to an extent, disabling the ability to fire at "friendly" targets even by mistake. The US system identified Israel as a 'friend,' thus preventing Turkish fighter jets from firing at them automatically.

The new system, however, allows Turkey control the "friend or foe" list independently.

I had originally thought prior actions were only saber waving provocations by the Turks, but now I am not so sure.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

They also updated their Facebook page to single. Good for them. It seemed to me like it was a one sided friendship.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
America's policy of "Git Mo" or "Get Mohammed" will see that the Islamic powers in Turkey are made to feel pain.

GITMO. It is a policy not a place.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I had originally thought prior actions were only saber waving provocations by the Turks, but now I am not so sure.

Well Israel did kill 8 turkish nationals on that flotilla, and refused to even apologize for it, in fact, they celebrated it. Israel feels extremely threatened right now, and going from their history, when they feel threatened, all of their neighbors should be worried.

America's policy of "Git Mo" or "Get Mohammed" will see that the Islamic powers in Turkey are made to feel pain.

nothing bigoted about that statement at all. :/
edit on 14-9-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I wan't to see this actually happen. I don't know about you guys, but I think israel has it coming. Let all Muslim nations wage war against zion.

Also, this may be a bit off-topic but i wonder if there is a way to hack these systems so that your enemy can't fire upon your planes...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Youji69
I wan't to see this actually happen. I don't know about you guys, but I think israel has it coming. Let all Muslim nations wage war against zion.

Also, this may be a bit off-topic but i wonder if there is a way to hack these systems so that your enemy can't fire upon your planes...

Attacking Israel to destroy zionist's is like attacking America to stop the New World Order.

It is pointless. People need to rise up and overthrow their governments and appoint people that are for the people.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Youji69

Oh wonderful another anti-semite, ya! How refreshing to hear from someone so filled with hate for a nation that he or she probably has never even visited before! I love it when ignorance and volume come together so well and we all get to hear from a clearly intelligent person who has all the facts put together and organized so well....thank you for making our day so warm and fuzzy today : )

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37
reply to post by Youji69

....thank you for making our day so warm and fuzzy today : )

You're welcome!

I'm just saying, israel's leaders have always been ruthless towards their neighbors. So it would please me to see israel's neighbors get even.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I always thought that Iran would be the first to glow in the dark, but it seems Turkey may take that spot after all.

As for Israel, if I were them I would have unleashed a healthy set of computer viruses that told the Turkish f-16s to fire on it's own fighter jets. That would be cool. I would also have the Trojans disable air defenses and the power grids. Yes, I believe that's how it will go. This should tell Iran a thing or two.

edit on 14-9-2011 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
As for Israel, if I were them I would have unleashed a healthy set of computer viruses that told the Turkish f-16s to fire on it's own fighter jets.

I can totally see that happening. It shouldn't be too hard to create this sort of hack, and we have already seen israel hacking other country's security systems in the past.

this could be a new kind of warfare... Cybertronics 2.0

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
As for Israel, if I were them I would have unleashed a healthy set of computer viruses that told the Turkish f-16s to fire on it's own fighter jets.

I can totally see that happening. It shouldn't be too hard to create this sort of hack, and we have already seen israel hacking other country's security systems in the past.

this could be a new kind of warfare... Cybertronics 2.0

They did something like this to Iran where it told all of the centrifuges to spin like mad burning them out. Cyber-warfare makes good sense.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Maybe one day, we will simply wage "war" via computer simulation, like starcraft or something...

but then south korea would own everyone lol

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
All it means is they are taking a precaution to prepare if stuff gets ugly. It means that they will be able to target and shoot down Israeli aircraft if need be. If they didn't do this the missiles would self destruct at a safe range from the 'friendly" aircraft instead of engaging their target. In short its no more alarming to me than turning the "safety" off a on a firearm to be ready to shoot if you need to. My call is it is a purely defensive measure, nothing more.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

reply to post by Fromabove

Maybe one day, we will simply wage "war" via computer simulation, like starcraft or something...

but then south korea would own everyone lol

It's eerie to say the least because I remember an old star trek episode where two planetary societies fought their wars completely by computer simulation. It may be someday that nations will calculate the possibilities of a war outcome by numerical values and simply declare a winner. It might even be moderated by the UN or some new world government.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
How dare those Turks upgrade their systems to target IDF planes!! Those anti-semitic bastards!! Have they never heard of the holocaust? How dare they not allow the Israelis to do as they please!!

Where's Abe Foxman??!?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

easy there! or else the zionist sympathizers will get 'cha!

it's not about race people, it's about a country that has been corrupt and cruel to poorer nations!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
LOL!!! Missiles self destruct at safe range? Negative ghostrider!!! That would be way too dangerous. The systems in fact prevent the launch of said missiles.

Originally posted by eywadevotee
All it means is they are taking a precaution to prepare if stuff gets ugly. It means that they will be able to target and shoot down Israeli aircraft if need be. If they didn't do this the missiles would self destruct at a safe range from the 'friendly" aircraft instead of engaging their target. In short its no more alarming to me than turning the "safety" off a on a firearm to be ready to shoot if you need to. My call is it is a purely defensive measure, nothing more.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Okay so Turkey does in fact have nukes on its soil but they are under NATO control. Turkey itself HAS NO NUKES. That being said, if things got ugly, NATO personnel could vacate Turkey and leave the country to be nuked to oblivion.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

The only problem with that is - That with nuclear proliferation it wont take very long for Turkey to acquire
every thing they need need to develop there own bomb. If they have not already purchesed it from Isreal who has
sold that info to other nations as well lol. Israel is really bad about selling high end weapons tech to the highest bidder.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
Well Israel did kill 8 turkish nationals on that flotilla, and refused to even apologize for it, in fact, they celebrated it. Israel feels extremely threatened right now, and going from their history, when they feel threatened, all of their neighbors should be worried.

Learn all the facts first, then talk mate.
The flotilla was organized by a group that is on the list of known terrorist groups. It is a Turkish group.
The whole purpose of the flotilla was to provoke Israel.
The "activists" on board, were not peaceful, they were armed and ready. They attacked the Israeli soldiers.
The Israeli soldiers first went on board armed with paintball guns, were not intending on using lethal force.
After they were attacked, they used force.
Too bad to the terrorist supporters who got killed, they got what they deserved.

Israel has nothing to apologize for.
Turkey pushed for a UN review. The UN found the Gaza blockade was LAWFUL.

As for the IFF codes being changed, it's not specifically aimed at Israel.
There's little chance of an Israeli-Turkish war because America will send Turkey back to before the stone age.

What it is about is Turkey showing it is independent of America's strings.
Their change in codes, means that no F16, or American or Western for that matter aircraft, will be seen as "friend".
It depends on what they changed the codes to, on what they want their aircraft to see.
Did they change the codes to see all F16's, F15's, etc, as "foes", or did they merely remove the American codes and replace them with identical(but Turkish) codes that they have full control over?

What's important now is how will Israel and Greece for that matter, react to this news? Will they undertake similar steps so that their fighters see Turkeys as "foes"?
And how will they interpret this step by Turkey.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join