It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA & Industrial Light & Magic Rep & SETI Rep to Announce Kepler Discovery at Media Briefing ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This is very cool, I love stuff like this. Exciting times we live in isn't it!

edit on 14-9-2011 by MrHappyman989 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I to find this could be interesting.
At what time GMT would this be tomorrow?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

I think it will air at 1900 GMT
edit on 9/14/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

I think its being broadcast during Pacific time which is -8 hours from GMT.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jerisa
I think NASA is going to "dibbs" the new planets...let the new space race begin!

You present a very interesting issue, Jerisa. What are the implications of NASA, on behalf of the USA, calling "dibbs" on a new potentially inhabitable planet?

Setting aside current international law regarding space, and just assuming for the moment that "dibbs" is called -- it would seem to imply a perpetuation of the current paradigm. International -- and soon to be intergalactic -- friction created and exacerbated by political / hegemonic / imperialistic shortsightedness and greed??

We are better than this.

But what is the solution?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

UN Outer Space Treaty

It covers many key points (military, weapons testing, nukes etc) but allows establishes a framework for that questions -

The treaty explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet, since they are the Common heritage of mankind.[2] Art. II of the Treaty states that "outer space, including the Moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means". However, the State that launches a space object retains jurisdiction and control over that object.[3] The State is also liable for damages caused by their space object and must avoid contaminating space and celestial bodies.[4]

So the question then becomes, if Humans claim a body, and its claimed by another alien species, then what lol? Reading the entire document made me think - It looks almost like a rough draft for a Prime Directive.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

I am not really sure what the implications would be I thought you had to get there first. Regardless I am fairly certain I have dibs on the hot lonely female nordic planet.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It would be neat if the effects guy built a theoretical model of the planet on the fly while the scientists explained the data and what it's likely implications are.

" So an analysis of the spectral data shows the presence of oxygen in the atmosphere. We also see the signature of slightly elevated levels of copper ions which may combine to give the atmosphere a slightly green tinge."

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
OH Hai!
We've discovered another planet that can support human life.
We've already discovered it a while ago and sent missions using super top secret code level pink with dots space craft..... errr I mean this swanky telescope found it.
This will give the government an excuse to release that technology to the public... err i mean the technology will be miraculously invented for us to travel there soon.
LOL

Yep. And right on schedule, here's the news release from earlier today of the new technology miraculously invented for us to travel there.

NASA Unveils Giant Rocket Design for Future Odysseys

The design for NASA's newest behemoth of a rocket hearkens back to the giant workhorse liquid rockets that propelled men to the moon. But this time the destinations will be much farther and the rocket even more powerful.

Source

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dalloway

I have suspected for a while now that they have been hiding life on other planets from the public eye. Often times, the hype they give their news conferences would leave people thinking this is it. The big find, only to find out that they literally just stop short of saying they found life on other worlds, or a world that could potentially sustain life. I mean confirming ice water on Mars, then liquid water, methane oceans on Titan, Europa and Enceladus potentially already harboring forms of life with under surface oceans...How much more can they tell us before they run out of hypes?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I don't know why people follow NASA. They don't have too much to tell us, besides lies. Everytime they find a new planet impossible to reach, they do all these noise. Look like rich kids showing us what their cool toys can do.

If one day they decide to tell us something really important, it will be so hard to believe them and I will look for a link to a second source for a confirmation.

I can't respect a powerful scientific organization hiding the truth to the world.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I wonder...
Maybe NASA is going to disclose some really groundbreaking footage of something in space. So groundbreaking that people are going to immediately go "CG..."

Then out pops the visual effects supervisor from Industrial Light & Magic to go "Yeah. I'm a pro. That's not CG."

Cheers

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

I might suspect that if it was coming from hubble but it doesnt really add up for kepler.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Subscribing to this. It's a shame they probably won't announce anything major. Just "Hey look! Our expensive telescope works!" or "See! We're not nerds! We found something really cool!"

I bloody hope with all of my existance that they'll tell us they've found something that indicates life. It would be incredible. If it was intelligent too, it could blow religion out of the water.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The no fly zone on the moon confuses me. I know of very few people who are going to hop on their spaceship and go for an outing around the moon. Actually I know none. Calling Dibbs on a planet is also stupid. I could hop on a spaceship and still wouldn't arrive there until my great great great great grandaughters 10000 birthday. Well, that is unless they know something they are suddenly going to share? Nah, they like keeping people in the dark. However, in recent weeks the space nerds seem to have several new announcements each week. Maybe they are going to announce a planet-sized space ship just entered our solar system and is requesting Diet Pepsi?

Give me meat or shut up. Sick of the bells to never hear the whistles.
blah blah blah..I will tune in however.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024
reply to post by dalloway

I have suspected for a while now that they have been hiding life on other planets from the public eye. Often times, the hype they give their news conferences would leave people thinking this is it. The big find, only to find out that they literally just stop short of saying they found life on other worlds, or a world that could potentially sustain life. I mean confirming ice water on Mars, then liquid water, methane oceans on Titan, Europa and Enceladus potentially already harboring forms of life with under surface oceans...How much more can they tell us before they run out of hypes?

But how would they know there was life on other planets using the science they use?....they can identify planets that, with our current understanding, potentially sustain life...........but how can they confirm life on a planet that is .....say...... 32 light years from Earth?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

Unfortunately there is no "simple solution" , man being man will rape, pillage and plunder any/all new worlds. History has shown this repeatedly here on earth. I truly don't believe just because it is not on this planet will make any difference. "It's all about the money money money------> sings as she signs out".

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Most likely Kepler has discovered some new planets that could possibly harbour life.

Cue a hypothetical discussion about ET life from NASA, the SETI rep and the astrophysicist.

Industrial Light and Magic will do the slideshow.

I would wager a lot of money it won't be any more exciting than this.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
If it was anything big, it would have broke by now.

Not to be a downer, but stuff like this is never interesting.
They are going to say they found some sort of a trace element somewhere they've never found it before.
These conferences always seem like the science community coming together to stroke their own egos, announcing things that they could have just written a press release about.

To be honest, I will not be happy until full disclosure.
fingers crossed but not holding my breath...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by boo1981

I think its being broadcast during Pacific time which is -8 hours from GMT.

Factor in daylight savings and it's -7

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join