It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's So Great About Living In The Moment.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The significance of the 'now' moment is this:

Consciousness (existence) precedes all mental activity.

Existence only happens in the now.

Thoughts think about past and future.

Therefore, thoughts distract you from existence.

Living in the now moment is the only place you can live. So if you aren't living in the now, then you aren't participating in your life. Participate.

Living in the moment doesn't mean neglect responsibilities for the sake of the now. It just means whatever you are doing, then do it. If you are painting a house, then paint the house. Don't let your mind wander away from the task at hand, then you are apt to mess up the task at hand. If you are thinking about painting a house and you are thinking about some girl or guy, then you might miss a spot.
edit on 14-9-2011 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Praying with god is just one piece of living in the moment.

Leaving future and past behind.

Great piece of observation.

IMO:I think there should be thought for us to learn from the past and build future , too.
edit on 14/9/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I agree 100% but this is also an extremely difficult thing to do. Being in the moment takes practice and patience. We are all so distracted by what happened at work, what's waiting for us tomorrow, what if this, what if that...... Once we learn to simply "be", we are able to soak up our wonderful experiences so much more.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Alot of people who live in the now end up neglecting responsibilities that affect the future. I constantly think ahead and use past experiences as a reference. Many people don't learn from past experience or do not plan ahead. It seems like they are having fun and are carefree but when they run into a snag well you can only imagine the outcome.

To know where you are going you have to know where you have been.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Most people live as if they are eating lunch while suffering from the indigestion of breakfast, all the while worrying about what they will have for supper.

I plan for tommorow, but enjoy the moment of today...the sights, the sounds, the smells...the joy of being.

We are in such a hurry to get to tommorow, we miss the beauty of today...the simple things...

Despite sounding cliche'd, a great song for perspective is Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying"... when I lose perspective and think that the next report and print out is so damned important...I try to remember that song.... It puts everything in focus.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Live in the moment and like there is no tomorrow is a liberal destructive mindset developed out of Hollywood. Life has responsibilities and decisions that do not always = lets just have fun screw it. Its basically the rich telling you to enjoy being a slave and never have wealth because well the longer you listen to our message of "just get messed up and party" the less you are out there getting a real education and making something of yourself. Building an empire...thats living..Getting drunk in a bar wasting $ = decisions slaves make.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Living in the now moment is the only place you can live. So if you aren't living in the now, then you aren't participating in your life. Participate.

Yes, Very good.

Of course, having a sense of past, it is our experiences which make us who and what we are in the present.

Having a sense of future, we anticipate what we want to be, fear becoming, and might be-- which also defines us, in part, in the moment.

In the moment is easiest for those-- most desirable for those-- whose pasts threatens to overwhelm contemplation of the future with despair.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

True but for me it doesn't mean to stop thinking, planning etc... For myself, it's when I'm with my kids, I'm with my kids, not at work. When I'm training I'm "in the moment" for that period of time, etc...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Interesting, but from personal experience you can not live in the now if you do not plan for a future otherwise you find yourself in a rut, live for the now but with a goal in mind for the future. Just my 2 pennies worth

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kite74

Well exactly. I do the same thing. But you cannot just live for the moment. There must be a balance. Too many people become complacent with the issues in their life and have too many distractions.

I know people for example who are constantly with friends and doing things with them. This is fine and they seem happy enough but eventually they are distracted from their responsibilities due to it. Everyone needs time o
to plan and think. You also need enjoyment time as well though. I can't stand people who bitch about work constantly especially while not at work. Dwelling on the past or dreading the future is counterproductive.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I don't agree with this at all.

You had a thought that created this thread. You anticipate replies to this thread. The moment when you created this thread is now gone.

So, with all that said you still exist, don't you?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Living in the moment is the only way you can say you are alive. You can neither return to a glorious past nor absolutely predict your future happiness. All you can do is make every day the best day of the rest of your life and enjoy it the best you can like it's the last. While there is merit and practicality in planning for the future you shouldn't be so bogged down that you don't enjoy the present.

I pretty much know I won't become filthy rich on retirement and that at some point I'll end up in a nursing home with a PEG in my stomach pumping me full of Ensure as long as body, Medicare, Medicaid and savings last. With the prospects of such a depressing future, I choose to enjoy the now, let the future take care of itself and not dwell on the darkness. Would I return to the past if I could? In a minute.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I don't really know, but I interpreted the OP to mean we should enjoy the beauty of today and the things around us...not merely to live carelessly in the here and now with no thought of tommorow...ie retirement, saving, planning, taking care of our obligations

For instance, on the way to the Post Office to mail my bills off, I notice the beauty of the corn fields, the sweet smell of freshly cut hay, the quaint view of an old red Farmall tractor going down an old worn red mud path beside a log tobbacco barn... the sweet smell of honey suckle...the smell of a distant wood fire as someone got a little cool on this late summer/ early fall morn... a rooster crows in the distance...one of my neighbors now has hogs and they sure are pretty...as far as hogs go..

I hope that is what the OP meant... While everything is a blur around us...while thousands of e-mails and reports and updates and programs are processed...I can still sit outside in the sun on my lunch break and enjoy some leftover corn pudding from last night.... savor each sweet mouthfull...ahhh, now that is living.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

past = memories
present = NOW
future = imagination

being alive = now = present = you!

i agree with you!!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Of all the things I have learned in my 53 years, this is the most important, by far. But doing it consistently is very difficult. I believe it is the starting point for awakening...at least it was for me. But, I still have a long way to go and alot more to learn.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Living in the now is difficult to do ALL the time, but that's not the goal. The goal is to strive to live more in the present than regretting the past or worrying about the future.

It's fine to learn from the past and to look forward to the future, but when negative emotions result from regret or worry, that's a cue for me to consciously bring myself into the now.

It's a wonderful floaty feeling. This is from My Thread on the Subject:

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
As I sat there, I felt a wave of what I can only call amnesia come over me. For an instant, I forgot my past and my future... I really kind of forgot who I was... (No, there were no mind altering substances involved) I saw my life laid out before me and felt the left and right side, representing the past and the future, slough off and drip down and away... And all that was left was me. Now. I can honestly say that for that moment, I didn't know who or where I was. I was high on now. I felt extremely joyful! Free and floating.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
Alot of people who live in the now end up neglecting responsibilities that affect the future. I constantly think ahead and use past experiences as a reference. Many people don't learn from past experience or do not plan ahead. It seems like they are having fun and are carefree but when they run into a snag well you can only imagine the outcome.

To know where you are going you have to know where you have been.

You would think that.

Notice that the only place you are ever going to go to or have ever come from has always occured, and will always occur in the now.

The only thing there is to plan for... the only thing you can count on, is existing and that will always happen in the 'now'.

You can become so proficient at existing that there is no need to plan ahead because you move forward with confidence that you will perform proficiently in the future.

When living in the moment, you absorb information much much much more fully. This information gets stored in its complete form in your memory bank. There is no need to reflect upon your memory once it is there because, it isn't going anywhere. When the memory become necessary to utilize, it will present itself to your consciousness at the proper future time.

All planning happens in the now. It is possible to plan ahead while maintaining your connection with your consciousness. It is also possible to plan ahead anxiously and thereby lose your connection with your presence.

But whatever happens, it will always be your existence that is doing the experiencing.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Old77
Live in the moment and like there is no tomorrow is a liberal destructive mindset developed out of Hollywood. Life has responsibilities and decisions that do not always = lets just have fun screw it. Its basically the rich telling you to enjoy being a slave and never have wealth because well the longer you listen to our message of "just get messed up and party" the less you are out there getting a real education and making something of yourself. Building an empire...thats living..Getting drunk in a bar wasting $ = decisions slaves make.

Not true.

The reason is because living in the moment does not equal neglecting responsibility.

Living in the moment simply means actively and consciously participating in all forms of information as they arise and deal with them individually. It is the opposite of what you say. Not only can you still perform responsibly, but your performance is actually most efficient and effective, always.

Living in the moment puts you in your highest consciousness of every moment. Therefore information becomes more intense, allowing you to deal with it more in depth while at the same time, doing the activities with very little mental effort at all.

Its not that you neglect your activities. Instead, your focus is sharpened. While living in the moment, if you are painting a house, then you are just painting a house. Once the decision to paint the house is made, you go do it, and when you are doing it, that's all you are doing. You aren't painting a house while thinking about building a bridge. If you were, then you would mess up the house.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Its not that you neglect your activities. Instead, your focus is sharpened. While living in the moment, if you are painting a house, then you are just painting a house. Once the decision to paint the house is made, you go do it, and when you are doing it, that's all you are doing. You aren't painting a house while thinking about building a bridge. If you were, then you would mess up the house.

Hmm, well. Last time I painted a house, it was because I realized that it needed being done. So, I envisioned what it would look like after it would be finished.

Realizing paint is expensive, I had to budget in the expense of the paint, while watching ads where there might be some on sale. So this took time and future planning. I also had to figure in the cost of a ladder, drop cloths, brushes and rollers, etc.....Not to mention budgeting in my future time to get the task done.

All the while I was painting the house, unexpected things happened, like dumping a whole bucket from on top of the ladder, things I would have wished I considered while just trying to paint the house.

So, since when is living in the moment like painting a house?

Going on the past experience of painting my house, the next time around, I will plan the future chore better. Even then, while I am doing it, outside influences might make just painting it in the moment difficult.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

I don't agree with this at all.

You had a thought that created this thread. You anticipate replies to this thread. The moment when you created this thread is now gone.

So, with all that said you still exist, don't you?

Yes. But its not a matter of whether or not I exist, its just a matter at how well I am participating in my existence.

Was I participating in it all, or was I writing it all subconsciously while devoting my consciousness to something else.

Its like driving down the road and looking in the rear-view mirror at the car behind you because the car behind you is a cop, and you are worrying if he will pull you over.

Well, you will notice that you are devoting your consciousness to what's behind you and not what's in front of you. Although that is what you are doing, you are still driving between the yellow and white lines, but it is happening subconsciously. You aren't participating in your driving, you are participating in worrying about getting pulled over. This might cause you to accidently cross the yellow line and thus get pulled over. If you had commited your mental energy to the task at hand instead of worrying about what could happen, then you would have performed the task at hand much more effectively and efficiently.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join