It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

El Hierro Population evacuates due to an increase of earthquakes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
First off, i am not sure if this is in the right forums, so mods, please move it if necessary, thanks.

The Canary Islands Government has decided to evacuate/relocate the population of El Hierro due to a massive influx of seismic activities in the last couple of months. Here is a source relating to the relocation of the population:

standeyo.com...

On another note, the Canary Islands, specifically, El Hierro, contains volcanoes. One such volcano is called Cumbre Vieja. It is feared that the volcano can erupt either due to erthquakes or volcanic activity. If this happens, there is potential for a landslide to happen which will in turn, cause a type of 'megatsunami' directed for the East Coast of North America (USA, Canada).

standeyo.com...

Hopefully, nothing to big will happen.

Sources:

standeyo.com...

standeyo.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I wonder if thats why Obama and thousands of NASA scientists are going to Denver later this month?

Guess where Obama will be on September 27th 2011
NASA events in Denver later this month

edit on 14-9-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Interesting to say the least. If a lanslide does happen, the east coast could potentially be in danger. If it were to happen within the next month, it would make sense for Obama to go to Denver.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I knew that was coming, they had no choice but to move the people. If that was America, they'd move us; when we're dead, so we won't stink up the place.

It shows our country doesn't give a # about us.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The potential landslide/tsunami resulting from an volcanic eruption was predicted for La Palma not el hierro.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

You sure? Everything that i read says that the Volcano Cumbre Vieja which is located on El Hierro was the one in danger of erupting, thus causing a landslide affecting North America

EDIT: My bad, you are right. Still, it is quite worrying that one of the islands are being evacuated.
edit on 14-9-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

A few years ago I looked into this in some detail. Although both volcanoes have the potential to collapse, I agree with the more likely event of La Palma. I have checked out European and realtime quake anomalies going back a week and I do not see an earthquake swarm in any of their files even from the 1.0 r scale. It doesn't show up on my Equake 3d, google, nor any of the sites. I was wondering if you could supply a link that would validate the seismic activity in that area? Or any activity near there. If they have indeed evacuated then I suspect they know something. Did I miss a link that shows this activity that they refer to that validates their actions of moving these people?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

The scientists who proposed the idea that canary island volcanic eruptions can generate huge landslides/tsunami have been de-bunked anyway. www.lapalma-tsunami.com... Their claims
were based on bad science and wildly exaggerated.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

There are some links regarding the earthquake activity, such links can be recovered from July:

earthquake-report.com...

modernsurvivalblog.com...

I am yet to find any links from September or August however.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Ahhh, thanks for the link mate.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Thank You: judging from what I see in these links I am not sure more are actually needed. I do believe you are indeed going in the right direction.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

Thanks for the response.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

You sure? Everything that i read says that the Volcano Cumbre Vieja which is located on El Hierro was the one in danger of erupting, thus causing a landslide affecting North America

EDIT: My bad, you are right. Still, it is quite worrying that one of the islands are being evacuated.

this is a really good source about Cumbre Vieja ... source=pdf

Geological evidence suggests that during a future eruption, Cumbre Vieja Volcano on the Island of La Palma
may experience a catastrophic failure of its west flank, dropping 150 to 500 km3 of rock into the sea.
-- snip --
Location of La Palma Island, home to Cumbre Vieja volcano. As evidenced by the abundant landslide deposits
strewn about their bases, the Canary Island volcanoes have experienced at least a dozen major collapses in the past several million years.

if you want to know the real potential and/or risk, check out the above source.
that evacuations have been ordered is rather discouraging to say the least

... i sure hope it is just an exercise

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Cumbre Vieja, is located on the Island of La Palma NOT El Hierro.

This island system is tied together geologically. It is possible that the conditions on El Hierro could effect the stability on La Palma. (That’s a big what if scenario)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Thank you for the link, i will definitely read it.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
There is nothing in the spanish press about this. Politically El Hierro is ultimately Spanish like you have state Governments in the U.S. There just seems to be some articles on the recent elections. Found this in the irish press though. I'm in Spain at the mo.

www.irishweatheronline.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BioSafe

Yeah, i understand now, i've just been tired and confused
thanks for the response however. I should have paid more attention to what i was writing.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I just a reader on this forum, but I just had to register to correct this disaster made by a bad google translation:

This is the wrong translation
" decided to relocate the population of El Hierro directly"

This is the correct translation:
"decided to inform the population of El Hierro directly".

El Hierro is still in "green light", they just moved to pre-alert condition, but is still green (NO DANGER AT THIS MOMENT).
And as part of this "pre-alert" they are informing the population of what is going on, because the magma is still several miles down, but the situation could evolve in the next weeks.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by discolo

Thanks for the link mate

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Ahhh. It is so very good of the Govt to relocate the citizens..

It will make it so much easier for them to set the explosive charges.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join