It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank worker foils fraudster who tried to con elderly woman out of her savings... Scam Alert!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Just wanted to alert fellow ATSers, especially those with elderly relatives to this scam that is becomming more of a problem each week

A quick-thinking bank cashier helped catch a conman posing as a painter and decorator after he tried to swindle her elderly customer out of £1,600. Alison Wheeldon became suspicious when the 85-year-old woman went into the bank to try to withdraw the sum of money from her account. But after learning the money was to pay a man who had unexpectedly turned up at her door to carry out repair work, she asked if she could accompany the woman home

Source

Have to say, that if anyone tried this on my oldies and goldies that retribution would be swift and merciless!

I would ask you to let your folks and elderly freinds know about this scam and to keep a look out for your vunerable neighbours. Caring for those around you does not seam to happen too much these days which creates a breeding ground for scum like this to grow.

edit on 14-9-2011 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Hi Bro.

She had a lucky escape. Thank goodness for the bank teller's quick thinking.
Unfortuneatly, so many others have not been so lucky and have lost thousands.
These scammers need to get the hard boot of justice rammed so far up their As that they will eating boot leather for weeks to come.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
reply to post by EvanB

Hi Bro.

She had a lucky escape. Thank goodness for the bank teller's quick thinking.
Unfortuneatly, so many others have not been so lucky and have lost thousands.
These scammers need to get the hard boot of justice rammed so far up their As that they will eating boot leather for weeks to come.

Yeah mate, there was an old lady on my local news the other night who had alzheimers who was not so lucky. She was frog marched to the bank, robbed, then home. It happened a few times but she could not remember. I think it was her daughter who caught on in the end but it was too late. Thousands had gone. I think they got the guys though.

Bastards

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Never trust anyone that calls door to door to apply his trade. If he's worth his salt people will be calling him, not the other way around.

My granny got swindled out of a grand a couple of years back, they made a noise out the back, one knocked the door and said could he get acess to the back of the house, she led him through while the other went into the living room and stole her purse , without her even knowing. Some sneeky B#'s are in the land of the living and if you dont keep your wits about you its game over.

Police never caught the lad, neither did I unfortunatly as he would have been in a world of pain between me and my three brothers.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

I am so sorry to hear that mate, I really am.
Filthy, f*****g sumbags.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Scumbags!

I wish you and your brothers had got them..

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

Scumbags!

I wish you and your brothers had got them..

Ditto, unfortunatly even the local hoods couldent help me out as they dident see anything. The good thing about the hoods in this country is that they auctually care about their families and realise that it could happen to them so if there is a crime like this they usually would bend over backwards to grass or snitch on who ever done it (but not to the police).

I have seen it happen before, a teenager was stealing from the Old age pensioners flats where I live and he was extremly friendly and a top member in the gangs where this was happening. They shopped him to the UDA, who in turn put his kneecaps through with an ak47 round.

He was also given 48 hours to leave the country.

Another example is when they caught a joyrider who was stealing cars from our area , well they say caught, but the Catholic IRA, handed him to the UDA which in turn crucified him (literally) and called the paramedics to sort him out.

Another scenario was a fella I knew (friend of a friend) got caught dealing drugs to kids at school, they caught him , beat him to death with a Jack hammer.

One thing you dont do over here is go against your community it can land you in a world of pain.
edit on 14-9-2011 by michaelmcclen because: elaborated

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Yeah, the paramilitaries have their uses lol

I used to live in Newtownards. My house was broken into. The estates UVF commander had our stuff back within a few hours. The lads got a kicking and got kicked off the estate.

That would never happen here!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

Yeah, the paramilitaries have their uses lol

I used to live in Newtownards. My house was broken into. The estates UVF commander had our stuff back within a few hours. The lads got a kicking and got kicked off the estate.

That would never happen here!

Haha, I have a similar story, was staying at a mates house whoes mum was friendly with the headman (drinking buddies) her window was put through in the early hours of the morning, at 7am the headman came calling round to inspect the damage by 1pm he had the culprit frog marched round to the house to pay for the damages.

Same thing happened to me , fortunatly my missus dad was in one of the paramilitries and knows all of the players and they all know him. I had a bit of bother when I was 20 with shots being fired at my car. I went over seen my headman as you put it, he asked about her family then said my problem would be sorted out by the end of the day. No word of a lie I had a meeting with the culprit who apologised and because their was no damage, no harm no foul.

Its a completly diffrent culture here than anywhere else I have lived in the UK or visited.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

It is but has its bad side too such as protection money for new business etc..

The paramilitaries are the real blame why enterprising, world leading, job makers are giving NI a miss.

That is a shame because education and sheer work ethic of the NI people is awesome!

new topics

top topics

join