It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Dawkins dispelling the myths for the young.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Richard Dawkins has written a book for youngsters trying to disspel the myths of religion. He was interviewed on BBC Newsnight last night. As usual, an interesting interview.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I met Richard Dawkins once.
The man's a tool. Arrogant as all hell, with a sense of self-grandeur that really drives down his credibility.
Kinda deters me from wanting to watch more of him, really.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Go Richard, thier hateful voodoo has had its day.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Elvis Hendrix because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Interesting enough piece. He does not have to resort to calling people stupid and ignorant.

He is basically just selling another set of beliefs. The religion of science. Much of it probably is a little closer to the truth but it does not have all the answers. Another big problem with science is that people very often find what they are looking for. They are given the answers they want to find. Someone has a problem. They think they know the answer and then they go and find a way to prove that their answer is corret. Science

As long as you look outwards you will only see other peoples answers and beliefs. You need to look inward to find your own truth.

People will reject showing kids the truth. I don't really have an issue with it. Its just another option. I really think as kids we knew a lot more than we let on. I knew as a very young kid I never bought the Santa story. I had an older brother who one christmas morning decided to blab to me that there was no Mr. Claus. I remember looking at him with an ordinary face and thinking to myself 'no sh1t sherlock'. It wasn't my parents fault or anyhting, I just never bought the story. Didn't we all as kids just play along ?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
I met Richard Dawkins once.
The man's a tool. Arrogant as all hell, with a sense of self-grandeur that really drives down his credibility.
Kinda deters me from wanting to watch more of him, really.

Just curious, was he just arrogant in general? Or was he arrogant in some brought up religious topic?

I can see how he'd come off as arrogant from how he usually talks in videos, but I wouldn't imagine he would be 'Arrogant as hell" in private.

Regardless, it is ultimately irrelevant to what he says. Ad Hominum. Only things that matter are his obvious intelligence, understanding of topics, and commitment to evidence. His personality doesn't change the fact that he can back up everything he says.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Oh yeah, because I want my kids influenced by a sicko like Dawkins. Sheesh!

Originally posted by Elvis Hendrix
Funny that you don't see your attitude towards religious people as hateful, when it clearly is. I'm not religious, but I have a live and let live attitude.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Gannicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

edit on 14-9-2011 by AnnoyingOrangeX because: omfg replied in the wrong thread oO

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Gannicus

My words are not even a tiny drop in the ocean to thier sticks and stones, and it is about time someone had the balls to point it out.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

reply to post by Gannicus

My words are not even a tiny drop in the ocean to thier sticks and stones, and it is about time someone had the balls to point it out.

Ah, the typical left wing defelction.

"It's different when I do it!"

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gannicus

Funny that you don't see your attitude towards religious people as hateful, when it clearly is. I'm not religious, but I have a live and let live attitude.

Theres simply nothing hateful about what he said. Mocking, maybe but never hateful.

Funny that you don't see your attitude being religious, when you clearly are

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gannicus

I'd rather have my kids educated by a world renowned scientist who has spent all his life to study the subject rather that a preacher who tells my kids lies about how the world was created or tells them they will go to hell if they misbehave.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I pity that Richard dicky dickins. He really is going to be in for a shock when he faces judgement. He is almost wrong on every level and cannot even debate people very well, each time a creationist that's got a Ph.D try's to debate him he declines

This man is nothing short of a fool.
edit on 14-9-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I find it funny how the news reporter says creation story is myth fables and fairytales and then go's on to say richard dawk head is about to give us some "FACT". Awesome i can't wait to here this

Wow just watched it, the reporter was a tool, calling Christians stupid because we disbelieve in the evolution myth and comparing stuff like santa claus with the bible what the heck is this?
edit on 14-9-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I love Richard Dawkins. Here is a GREAT video serious on youtube called "The Genius of Charles Darwin" where he goes into detail about Darwin and his theories.

www.youtube.com...

A book for kids that tells them an alternative view is much needed. Accept nothing, question everything. Decide for yourself.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Replying to people like him is very counterproductive. He will never become open-minded, no matter what outstanding evidence you provide. You could bring to his attention that evolution has certain cases where rapid evolution occurs and has been observable for the past few decades from numerous species, but would he care? No! Not at all. Try to find someone who is actually skeptical.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Also notice how the person who is promoting Christianity normally demeans his opponent by insulting them, besides presenting evidence that could help their argument.

richard dawk head

edit on 17-9-2011 by Tony4211 because: (no reason given)

the reporter was a tool

Because the reporter disagreed with him.

comparing stuff like santa claus with the bible what the heck is this?

All myth is myth,

top topics

join