It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York City 1940 color photos

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by majestic3

Here is what I think when I see those homeless 1940 guys. I see gangsters. Gangsters who don't have a home, but could easily afford a hotel room for a night. I can also see them being as those sidewalk salesmen, where they open up their jacket to reveal miscellaneous items. They could be legit ones, or they could be the ones who mug people at night, then sells it during the day.

Anyways, just my thoughts about them.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. Always nice to see a peak into my countries past.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mntnhooger

The pictures of homeless people we're used to seeing are generally propaganda to evoke disgust or sympathy, so they find the most disheveled looking people they can.

Other causes for this general decline are because people used to take a man in for a night or two, give him some work in exchange for this, and then he goes about his way. Try finding this type of thing anymore; it wouldn't work so well.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Wow, looking at these pictures makes me really miss my home state very much. Can't wait to be back in three months woohoo!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I love the beautiful blue car standing out from all the grey and black cars in about the third photo. Seemed like a wonderfull place back then. Have never been since I have been alive, but would love to see New York one day!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I LOVE stuff like this... nice find!

Are you kidding me? Three homeless people...wearing suits and hats? They are dressed better than most people of today.

edit on 14-9-2011 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Cool pics about some things in that era called the 1940's. Or as I like to call it, the era of the fedora hats

Really its like every male in that age wore one of those hats, even the homeless dudes look like they should be going to a bank or board meeting or something. I'm telling you all, we need to bring those hats back into style, who is willing to go trough the tomatoes being thrown and stares by strangers to bring those hats back into style. I remember my grandfather never went anywhere without his fedora hat, really it must have been a strange time to be alive in.

But still the 70s got us all beat in wacky and just plain weird attire.

www.topyaps.com...

But I suppose you can tell how far you came, by how ashamed your are today of how your dressed back then. Because at one time everybody thought those funny looking disco suites with the pants hiked up to your armpits that they wore back in the 70's, were the coolest thing ever.

I wonder will past generation look at picture of us and all that we are like and dress like today, and wonder...WTF were people from that time smoking.

It would be especially funny if the future people wear something along the lines of this get up.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Always been a great lover of 1930's, 40's and 50's fashion, the women are so hot and the men look so cool...,.Those photo's are fabulous and people took great pride and respect in themselves and others...

Since I was young I have always wore a hat outside, I have many hats. In the forties everyone wore a hat, but now, if you wear a hat you get stared at. I get stared at everywhere I go, just for wearing a hat..At the moment I am in my Pork Pie hat stage. Depending how I feel in the morning, depends with what hat I wear that day. Bring hats back, that's what I say, but you have to find a hat that suits your type of fashion and shape of your face....

Thanks for posting.........

edit on 20-9-2011 by davethebear because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join