It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York City 1940 color photos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Nice set of pics I thought people might like to have a look at.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Wow these are nice looking,
It's ironic how underneath the picture
of the three guys smoking in nice suits says:

Smoking: Three homeless people from South Ferry doss houses are in Battery Park on June 6, 1941

The homeless had it good back then apparently.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BruceEFury

yea, i thought to myself even the homeless looked good back then ;-)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Very cool find! It's interesting how it really has not changed too much. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
It's looks just like L.A. Noire! Thanks for the link.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
homeless in the 1940's
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc9d6a66b45f.jpg[/atsimg]

homeless in 2011.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae8f31e78bc9.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 14/9/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
oops, double post
edit on 14-9-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Smashing photos. Loving all that fancy cast iron and stuff. Nowadays everything's plastic, square an plain.

If you could step into one of those photos, would you do it? I think I would.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Something else to notice beside the hats, suits, and great looking women's outfits.

The lack of fat people.

There was about 1 guy out of that whole spread.

This was pre-microwave, pre-high fructose corn syrup, pre-TV dinner, pre-TV* (for that matter).

*Before you flame me, I mean before people had TVs in mass.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Nice pics, nice find.

The 3 homeless guys, wow, they look better than many middle class these days, hehe.

And what is with the girls legs, half way down page, 3rd OCt 1942, what am I missing? It looks like shes got 4 legs, or has another kid with her in her clothes, WTH photoshop fail or something?

One other thing, out of all the people pictured, I only spotted one half brown kid with his sister(?) on his back, and I think its Obama in his childhood(well off by a few years but close), but seriously were they that racist back then that they didnt even want to have african Americans in their photos?

Oh, yeah agreed about the lack of fat people too.

edit on 14-9-2011 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
People actually cared about their appearance back then. Just because you may be homeless or dirt poor is no reason to be nasty and unkept. I was always taught cleanliness is next to godlyness not wealth !

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Was gonna post that myself, homeless people were extremely dapper in the 40's.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Is it me or does the homeless guy in the middle facing the other way look like Clint Eastwood?

Great pictures, thanks for posting S&F

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
EXIF data or it didn't happen!

Seriously, thanks for posting these. I collect old pics, and these will be great additions.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Incredible quality for it to transfer so well digitally, I wonder if they digitally enhanced them prior to posting them for the article...Either way those are pretty incredible, thanks OP.

What's weird to me is most the people in the pics have the same "Uncertain of the Future" look I see nowadays. They probably had similar emotions as we have today with the coming War..I say coming War because the clashes we have right now are just the tip of the iceberg IMO.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
What's really sad is that there are no men in any of these photos because of the war. Only women, kids, and the elderly, I fear we are headed towards another draft in my lifetime. Btw, that guy does look like Clint Eastwood.
edit on 14-9-2011 by ats221990 because: forgot sentence? weird

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haxsaw
Nice pics, nice find.

The 3 homeless guys, wow, they look better than many middle class these days, hehe.

And what is with the girls legs, half way down page, 3rd OCt 1942, what am I missing? It looks like shes got 4 legs, or has another kid with her in her clothes, WTH photoshop fail or something?

One other thing, out of all the people pictured, I only spotted one half brown kid with his sister(?) on his back, and I think its Obama in his childhood(well off by a few years but close), but seriously were they that racist back then that they didnt even want to have african Americans in their photos?

Oh, yeah agreed about the lack of fat people too.

edit on 14-9-2011 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

more so then than now, people of different ethnic groups and backgrounds would be seen in abundance in certain areas. Chinatown - guess who was there. Harlem was home to many black folks back in the 40's. Also keep in mind things were incredibly different back then. not everyone was welcome everywhere, by far. my Dad was born in '21 and he saw hangings as a boy, and he grew up in NY/NJ rural areas, not down south. it's going to take a long time before healing starts for a lot of people in the USA. those wounds run deep, and the stories will be passed on generation after generation in many families for a long time to come.

on the big picture, looking (online) at how many folks were in America in 1940, you'll see a much smaller population all around, as well as less people of given groups. the original colonies, the new england states, were populated by settlers first, the europeans.:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewsWorthy
Incredible quality for it to transfer so well digitally, I wonder if they digitally enhanced them prior to posting them for the article...Either way those are pretty incredible, thanks OP.

No. I downloaded them and did quick colour fix using Gimp. Wow they look soooooo much better. Most of the photos have a blue cast.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
homeless in the 1940's
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc9d6a66b45f.jpg[/atsimg]

homeless in 2011.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae8f31e78bc9.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 14/9/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

he's checking his ats thread

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Great! Lovely insight. Maybe cuz I

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join