It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's GRAIL to the Moon - Question tho ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
After a couple of days delay, NASA launched the GRAIL mission to the Moon, but when will it get there?
Usually it takes around three days to get to the Moon, however the GRAIL; or Gravity Recovery Interior Laboratory, will reach the Moon by New Years Eve and New Years Day.

"We had to boost the pair of satellites into an orbit that would take it one million miles away from Earth, then gradually come back in and to the Moon," said NASA.

NOW... If I was wanting to send a piece of equipment to have a "little" closer look at maybe some "rocks" (asteroids) or comets (ELEnin) in space that may be heading way... How could I disguise this ??

O... As per quote: NASA has taken the account of fuel and tells TheWeatherSpace.com they had to go another route.

Different route.... Mmmmm ???

www.theweatherspace.com...

Only a thought folks...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
And a good one at that! Surely in order to achieve this the design of the satelite had to be altered. They are purpose built. Just enough fuel, batteries, certain sized solad panels to get the mission done. I cant imagine they would build something oversized 'just in case we need to go a million miles further for no reason..,' Imho, when it comes to space travel, at least that of NASA, weight saving is everything!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
the big question is...why does anyone still follow nasa? they are a disgrace.
why are they even still operating>?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

NASA is military !! Who trusts the military machine ? NOR do I trust NASA !! Was just wanting all to think about it... The million mile trip thing... Something seems suspect thats all !

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjsmi2
reply to post by jazzguy
The million mile trip thing... Something seems suspect thats all !

It's more efficient, it saves them a bit of delta-V which means they don't need as much fuel to get to the moon and can reserve more payload mass for instruments and equipment on the probes, among other benefits. The most efficient way to reach a target in space is rarely the fastest or shortest route.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
They want to look inside the moon to see where they are hiding. If they are living deep inside the moon they will be able to know.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Since GRAIL is two separate spacecrafts, which will arrive at the moon fuel is the primary concern to be thrifty about. Each spacecraft will have to carry enough fuel to slow them into lunar orbit, not just one, so the slow approach less fuel will be needed, and the smaller Delta 2 could get them high enough in earth orbit for the GRAIL to use celestial navigation instead of rocket power navigation, the moon is going to catch up with them in earth L1 near-gravitational equilibrium.

NASA also does this to confuse people with pedestrian space exploration interest.

I mean what's the hurry, there are no humans aboard and the moon isn't going anywhere. The added bonus is it gives the spacecraft time to shed any tag along earth contamination, that could interfere with the data GRAIL is about to collect.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
Since GRAIL is two separate spacecrafts, which will arrive at the moon fuel is the primary concern to be thrifty about. Each spacecraft will have to carry enough fuel to slow them into lunar orbit, not just one, so the slow approach less fuel will be needed, and the smaller Delta 2 could get them high enough in earth orbit for the GRAIL to use celestial navigation instead of rocket power navigation, the moon is going to catch up with them in earth L1 near-gravitational equilibrium.

NASA also does this to confuse people with pedestrian space exploration interest.

I mean what's the hurry, there are no humans aboard and the moon isn't going anywhere. The added bonus is it gives the spacecraft time to shed any tag along earth contamination, that could interfere with the data GRAIL is about to collect.

Great points. I hadn't considered the bacteria equation. You are right the moon will still be there even if it takes a longer course. Great response.
Thanks

new topics

top topics

join