It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does stuff cost where you are?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Well i live in Australia, so you'll have to convert the currency yourself.

Milk - approx. $4 for 3 Litres
Bread - $2-$4
2 Bedroom Apartment - $250 - $500 per week
Minimum wage for adult worker is dependant on field (18+) - factory workers look at about $25 per hour, McDonalds worker is about $16 per hour

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I had to get some bits n bobs from the supermarket the other day because i simply coudnt afford any stuff.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Montreal area

Minimum wage $ 9.65

If receiving tips $ 8.35

Loaf of bread $ 2.00 - $ 3.00

Milk $ 5.00 - $ 7.00

Gaz $ 5.00

1 bedroom apartment $ 450.00 - $ 800.00

Fruits and vegetables are expensive.

Pack of smokes $ 11.00

Beer $ 12.00 a dozen

Beer in bars $ 5.00 - $ 8.00 each

Stuff $ 100.00 Give or take

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Stuff in Morelia, Michoacán in central Mexico

In Mexican Pesos (looks like the US Dollar sign but with one line instead of two) $12.9mxp = $1usd current exchange rate.

Rent for 3bd, 2 ba house - $2,000mx (about $155us per month) - typical home outside downtown or tourist areas.

Ride Combi (high-topped extended van configured to seat 12-14 passengers - pass by about every 5 min.) $6mx (about $.47us)

Electric bill for 2 months - $500mx (about $39us) (*we are big consumers compared to most of our neighbors)

Water for 2 months - $140mx (about $11us) (flat-rate in our colonia)

Gas, propane (tall cylinder - lasts about 2 months or so) - $320mx (about $25us)

Loaf of white bread - $23mx (about $1.80us)

Tortillas, corn (Mexican bread staple), kilo (kilo = 2.2lbs.) hand-made on the spot at tortillerías located every few blocks - $11 (about $.86us) *about $6mx/kilo in supermarkets where they are fresh but machine-made in bulk (about $.47us / kilo)

VW Jetta Classic (basic model, standard shift), new - approx. $170,000mx (about $13,200us)

Beer, Corona or Victoria brand, bottle, 4 - 4.5% alc. - $10mx (about $.78us)

Beef, standard non-fancy cut, lean bistek - $70mx, kilo (about $5.43us, kilo or $2.47us, lb.)

Fruits and vegetables - cheap and plentiful

Milk - $10mx per liter (about $3.05us per gallon)

Doctor visit - $30mx (if one is not covered by worker benefits or govt. health plan, in which case there is no cost at plan clinics and hospitals) (about $2.33us) Emergency room services cost about double that.

Dentist - $100mx for extraction/ $250mx for fillings. (about $7.75 / $19.38)

Computer, custom assembled at tech mall downtown with large cabinet and 500w power supply for cooling and 24/7 operation, Win 7, 320GB, flat screen monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, no extra-fancy computing power - $4,000mx (about $310us)

Minimum wage - unknown - Entry-level, unskilled workers with benefits, holidays, vacation, etc. typically may earn about $150mx per day (no income tax deducted), (roughly $1.70us /hr.) (*This is a large, capital city with relatively high-costs and these wages probably are not applicable to small-town, low-cost areas which likely pay less - this estimate is based on speaking with some young workers for established companies in this area)

edit on 14-9-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
S o far it looks like the only place that pays a worker a decent wage for a days graft is Australia, (25 dollars an hour minimum wage), I can understand why people emigrate now. I was suprised by the cost of goods in The US, that one poster mentioned, i was sort of under the mistaken impression, that food would be cheaper in the US, (maybe its because we're given the impression that Americans eat more that anyone else in the world. sorry guys).
Just to add, cost of visit to Doctors in the UK- nil
cost of visit to ER in UK-nil
cost of medication in the UK, nil in Wales - £7 per item in the rest of UK
cost of visit to dentist in UK - an arm, and a leg and.... a tooth!
And i know we've costed stuff and things, but we've overlooked thingummyjigs. Thingummyjigs also about £100.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit

I was browsing around this morning looking for Christmas pressies for folk and found this smashing toy on Amazon.

It's September, and you are already buying Christmas presents?

You're the kinda gift giver I despise. Most places won't give you a refund after 30 days......so, there goes purchasing anything a person might really like!

Times must be tough if you have to purchase things months in advance, so you answered your own question as to how much things cost!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

I was browsing around this morning looking for Christmas pressies for folk and found this smashing toy on Amazon.

You're the kinda gift giver I despise. Most places won't give you a refund after 30 days......so, there goes purchasing anything a person might really like!

Times must be tough if you have to purchase things months in advance, so you answered your own question as to how much things cost!
That cos I'm poor? Well I hate tossers.
edit on 14-9-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Don't worry, I'm sure you aren't on the OP's prezzie list anyway.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Ha Ha!

Yep, well I am too! Poor that is.

One way I get by is to return everything I get for Christmas so that I can purchase what I really need!

I guess it's a matter of looking at a situation from different sides of the fence, so no offense intended!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
please inflation is like 20% .

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

That cos I'm poor? Well I hate tossers.
edit on 14-9-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

I have to say, i was in asda the other night, and theyd put out the xmas pressies, advent calenders and mince pies, and i hate that, but its just greed but the corporate giants, trying to squeeze as much cash out of us as they can.
In your defence, i can understand you looking for gifts now, im always looking for a bargain as i dont have much money either. It all very well to have "principles", but principles dont pay bills.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
In between now and Christmas I have someones Halloween wedding to panic about and a few birthdays.
If I didn't start preparing for Christmas now it won't happen.

The Christmas cake is already done and hiccuping with Brandy as I type.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I often will give bulk gifts to my friends, neighbors, co-workers, and acquaintences. I may shop at a wholesale or liquidator store for some useful and inexpensive item that people typically may not buy for themselves then purchase a quantity of the item and give them to everyone I know or run into.

Typical items throughout the years have been like a tailors tape measure, first-aid kits, better-than-average travellers' sewing kits, woven baskets, decorative trays, etc. After the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic games I found a bunch of "Official Olympic Cigarette Lighters" in bubble packs and with Olympics label. It seemed so contradictory and novel I gave those one year. One friend of mine to this day still has his in the original package and hangs it as an ornament on his Xmas tree every year. Sometimes I give more than one item if they are cheap enough. Buying in lots of 50 or so can be inexpensive enough.

I give special gifts to special people in my life but give these bulk gifts to many, many people that would not otherwise expect to receive anything from me. A few of the folks have picked-up my tradition and now do the same. Those are some of my most cherished gifts.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Here is a quick snap shot of the price globally of 'stuff':

UK Friend 1: "How much does 'stuff' cost where you are?"

US Friend 1: "Stuff" costs just about the same as "things" but I hear on the grapevine that the cost of "thing-a-ma-jigs" is about to skyrocket

US Friend 2: forget about "do-hickey's"

US Friend 1: Tell me about it... even on sale they cost more than I can pay... shame really... "do-hickey's" are one of my favorite things and well we all know the cost of "things these days....lol

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
As someone who lives in Asia but travels the world, I have a fair idea of the price differences between different countries.

USA is usually the cheapest country to buy most produced products, even when they are made in Asia, it is still cheaper in the USA.

In Singapore a Ford Mondeo costs S$140,000/ US$126,000 and can only legally be on the road for 10 years
In Thailand a Toyota Camry (made in Thailand) costs between US$40-65,000.

Klipse X-10i earphones (probably the best Ipod earphone) costs about $300 in the USA, £280 in the UK and S$586 in Singapore (US$527).

Paperback books in Asia usually cost between $12 - 18

Clothes made in Asia usually cost twice the price that they sell for in the USA

Not sure about food prices, I will have to ask the Maid
LOL

The most expensive countries I have visited include UK, Japan, UAE, Brazil, Shanghai and most definately Singapore which has gone really crazy as the US Dollar has weakened. Hong Kong whilst usually outrageously expensive seemed cheap compared to my trip to Singapore last week. A beer in Thailand will cost about $5 in most expensive places whereas on average $15 in Singapore.

Petrol in the UK is over £5.56 a gallon about US$9.17

People in the USA are very lucky when it comes to prices

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I try to let go of things faster than they're being taken here.
Mazapan = 25 cents 1981-2011
one bag of DORITO's corn triangles flavor X13-D = sniper
disclose.tv...
edit on 14-9-2011 by KennyDurazo because: Forgot the X13-D

edit on 14-9-2011 by KennyDurazo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Minimum wage $ 7.36

If receiving tips $ 4.34

Loaf of bread $ 2.00 - $ 5.00

Milk $ 3.36 - $ 5.00

Gas $ 3.36

1 bedroom apartment $ 690 - $ 1200

Fruits and veg are expensive in the winter.

Pack of smokes $ 5.00

Beer $ 8.00 6 pack

Beer in bars $ 6.00 - $ 8.00 each

top topics

<< 1   >>

join