It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece to Build First Official Mega-Mosque in Athens, After Muslims Threaten Uprise

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
link to source

The move comes amid thinly veiled threats of violence by thousands of Muslim residents of the city who have been pressuring the government to meet their demands for a mosque or face an uprising.

More Sources
Greek Source

who accused the government of creating, through its decision, ”a laboratory for the production of terrorists in the centre of Athens”. It was for more than 35 years that Greece was debating the possibility of setting up a Mosque in Athens, the only European capital city that does not have a place of worship for the more than 200,000 Muslim believers residing in the Greek capital.

Officially, Greece has a Muslim population of around 500,000, mostly of Turkish origin. But in recent years, tens of thousands of Muslims have migrated to Greece from Africa, the Maghreb [North Africa], the Middle East and Central and Southeast Asia.

Not a millions of Greeks are Happy about this one neither i am

Its bad enough that greece has fiscal problems and larger unemployment rate now the Muslim imgrants have the right to build a mosque? after they were threatening the greeks with an uprise? thats disrespectful if you want to pray go back to your own homeland,if christians dont have a right to build churches in muslims countries why should we allow them to build what they want?

In a country and in a city in economic shambles and without its own national cathedral, a mosque is approved to be built using taxpayers money. In a country which was occupied for 400 years by Islamic people, a mosque is set to be built in Athens. In a country where over 90% are Christians, a mosque was approved to be built.

In a country which directly related as a savior of the Christian faith, a mosque is to be constructed... Worse than anything in recent years which has led to the demise of this country and a shame of all Greeks worldwide, this is the nail in the coffin of once was a proud, free country

edit on 14-9-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
why do want to stop people from praying to their god?

why on earth do you give a f#?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

why do want to stop people from praying to their god?

Well then i could i ask you the same thing Why hasnt saudi arabia allowed christians to churches yet?

You do know that there are more mosques then churches right? and that fact that even italy now has a private beach for the Muslims Only.

why on earth do you give a f#?

Because i do and also did you even bother of the reading the news i posted? the Muslims Threaten greece with an Uprise for a Mosque to be build.

So i guess your fine with them using violence on a country already suffering much.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Its the way of the world, cant wait until a Christian terrorist flies a plan into Mecca as see how they like it, cant wait for the people to snap and for the muslims to be put in their place in Europe. We do not want their religion or laws, if they wish to live under sharia then go to a country that has these backward customs. I am a bit of a paradox as I defend Palestinians and their right to live, however I hate the creeping islamification of Europe and the attitude of muslims hear that they can do as they wish and dictate how we live to suit their #ed up religion
edit on 14/9/11 by On the level because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Its hard to believe Greece has the only european capital without a mosque.

There was 1.5million of them that were moved in 1920 or something like that. Now that their is a huge population of muslims back in greece whats wrong with them building a mosque. Its not like they are building nuclear weapons? Its a mosque. A building to pray in?

Media has done goodwork fearmongering about Muslims.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
if the muslims want a mosque, let them build one!!!
but, the quotes seem to indicate that it's to be done with taxpayer's money??
I know I am american, and this is greece and all that.....there might be a difference in viewpoint when it comes to the separation of church and state...but...

it seems to me that greece needs all the taxpayer money it can get hold of to get itself out of the financial mess that it has found itself in.....

maybe saudi arabia could pitch in and provide some financing for this mosque???

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
Its the way of the world, cant wait until a Christian terrorist flies a plan into Mecca as see how they like it, cant wait for the people to snap and for the muslims to be put in their place in Europe. We do not want their religion or laws, if they wish to live under sharia then go to a country that has these backward customs.

I agree to a point... but I'm certainly not a fan of the phrase "Christian terrorist". Such a thing doesn't exist, period. Jesus Himself said "My Kingdom is not of this world...". There is nothing to be gained through terrorism, and no place for it in this world, either for Christian or Muslim. Difference is, if you wish to justify terrorism from the Bible, you have to misconstrue, misquote or twist the meaning of specific verses... whereas in Islam... it's very easily justified, on so many fronts.

Sooner or later though, the West is going to have to confront Islam, and do it openly, reasonably and with force. This is not an ideology that seeks peace or harmony; Islam demands and requires the subjugation of all unbelievers under a global Caliphate. There will be no peace until Muslims rise up and renounce the passages of violence contained in the Qu'ran... and actively seek peace and reconciliation... and for the love of crap, leave the past behind, and stop referring to wars that are hundreds of years old. Way to hold a grudge, Mohammed!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

You can see my point, I defend Palestine as it is a very different case from this type of action. I just want to live in a country where people can live and let live. Where people do not force their religion upon anyone else and where we can enjoy a good pint and celebrate Christmas etc without getting told it has to be called Winterland or some bull# to suit other religions. I may make a move for Australia, seems the last bit of sense left on earth, especially the immigration policy

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24

Its the way of the world, cant wait until a Christian terrorist flies a plan into Mecca as see how they like it, cant wait for the people to snap and for the muslims to be put in their place in Europe. We do not want their religion or laws, if they wish to live under sharia then go to a country that has these backward customs.

I agree to a point... but I'm certainly not a fan of the phrase "Christian terrorist". Such a thing doesn't exist, period. Jesus Himself said "My Kingdom is not of this world...". There is nothing to be gained through terrorism, and no place for it in this world, either for Christian or Muslim. Difference is, if you wish to justify terrorism from the Bible, you have to misconstrue, misquote or twist the meaning of specific verses... whereas in Islam... it's very easily justified, on so many fronts.

Sooner or later though, the West is going to have to confront Islam, and do it openly, reasonably and with force. This is not an ideology that seeks peace or harmony; Islam demands and requires the subjugation of all unbelievers under a global Caliphate. There will be no peace until Muslims rise up and renounce the passages of violence contained in the Qu'ran... and actively seek peace and reconciliation... and for the love of crap, leave the past behind, and stop referring to wars that are hundreds of years old. Way to hold a grudge, Mohammed!

True followers of Islam condemn terrorist attacks because it goes directly against the teachings in the Qur'an. It's the same for Islam just as it is for Christianity to do the acts of terrorism they have to twist the words. The bible calls for everyone to be converted so should we deal with them using force also? There will be no peace until people rise up and throw off the shackles forced on them by Christians.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Its the way of the world, cant wait until a Christian terrorist flies a plan into Mecca as see how they like it, cant wait for the people to snap and for the muslims to be put in their place in Europe. We do not want their religion or laws, if they wish to live under sharia then go to a country that has these backward customs. I am a bit of a paradox as I defend Palestinians and their right to live, however I hate the creeping islamification of Europe and the attitude of muslims hear that they can do as they wish and dictate how we live to suit their #ed up religion
edit on 14/9/11 by On the level because: (no reason given)

no need for the plane, an "errant" cruise missile detonating about 10 feet over the kabalah thing in mecca at the right time in the hadj would do it nicely.

they keep pushing and things could get very nasty and laws won't protect them anymore.

i keep thinking of "purge" for some reason.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I'd like to see a credible source for this "or face an uprising" thing. The only link that says anything like that is the Hudson New York one, which isn't really a proper news source, and seems somewhat biased anyhow (specifically mentioning muslims and terrorism in their About page). None of your other links mention any such thing.

It is kinda sad, that no matter what the muslims do, someone is going to blame them and accuse them. They don't have a mosque, so they pray privately, or they have to "make a spectacle" and "ask permission" of the Greek government to hold prayers for their religious holiday, and they are allowed "outside the city". Otherwise, they have to pray in private, hidden away, and they STILL get attacked by crazy Grecians who PETROL BOMB these places.

Or else they have to ask permission to get a mosque built, and while most of the Greek Parliament agrees, it is the 16 MPs from the radical, far-right LAOS party that objected.
Some Saudi's offered to fund a mosque in the outskirts of Athens, but I think that fell through..anyhow, I think this way is better, as it isn't an "outsider" who is intruding on the Greeks, rather, the mosque will belong to the Grecians themselves.

PS: As being one of the EU Member States with a State Religion (Greek Orthodoxy), separation of Church and state is a bit murky, with the state paying all the clergy's salaries, and religious instruction in Greek Orthodoxy a part of all student's curriculum (unless otherwise requested by BOTH parents).

reply to post by Awen24

I agree to a point... but I'm certainly not a fan of the phrase "Christian terrorist". Such a thing doesn't exist, period. Jesus Himself said "My Kingdom is not of this world...".

Odd statement for you to make, considering that only just a couple lines later you talked about "The West confronting Islam with force".

This is not an ideology that seeks peace or harmony; Islam demands and requires the subjugation of all unbelievers under a global Caliphate.

With all due respect, I call BS.

Difference is, if you wish to justify terrorism from the Bible, you have to misconstrue, misquote or twist the meaning of specific verses... whereas in Islam... it's very easily justified, on so many fronts.

Actually, I can do it quite easily with the Bible, with direct quotes. However, Christians will use excuses like "that was only for that time", "you are taking it out of context", "you are misunderstanding the verse", "that doesn't apply anymore", all excuses that muslims use as well, and yet when they do it, they're lying.

PS to YOU: If you actually know where it is from, you are one of my few favourite people here
edit on 14-9-2011 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
I'd like to see a...

stop right there.
Your avatar is made of pure awesomeness.

...now you can continue.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Exactly what are the people of Greece thinking. Collectively, their government doesn't have a pot to pee in and they're allegedly blathering on that a Mosque must be built or they'll carry on like spoiled children.

Kinda like the kid in the shopping mall who has a pissy-pants snot-bubbling hissy fit because Mom and/or Dad won't buy them the neatest newsest latest greatest pair of running shoes that light up when you take a step and fold up into some sort of robotic death machine that shoots laser beams out it's metal rectum.

And it's not just the folks in Greece . . . people everywhere want everything but they've been conditioned by the system in which we live to expect it immediately without any concern of how the HELL procurement of said item will funded. Just a big old bunch of gimme-gimme little knee chompers, is all.

I wish, in this case, that some government official would stand up in front of these folks and say something to the effect Can'tcha see we're on the brink of going dorsal down in the financial swimming pool, you whining dolts?.

Then, if they so desire to burn the whole damn country to the ground . . . let 'em. Then send the news media over there to ask them how they like things now . . . no Mosque . . . no homes . . . no stores . . . no nothing. And then tell them since they were so stupid to do it in the first place, there will be no foreign aid from anywhere to help them rebuild.

Sheesh.

People amaze me.
edit on 14-9-2011 by GoalPoster because: because I have my best thoughts after I hit the post button!!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Yeah, given the current situation in Greece, I get the feeling that any immediate plans to build will be cancelled pretty soon. However, at least it is official now.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I would prefer another source for this, I don't trust a source that says that a 1000 square metres (that's a square with sides a little bigger than 31 metres) mosque is a "mega mosque".

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Its the way of the world, cant wait until a Christian terrorist flies a plan into Mecca as see how they like it, cant wait for the people to snap and for the muslims to be put in their place in Europe.

Why, did a Muslim flew a plane (I suppose that's what you wanted to write) into the Vatican?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
“Either we died because of our religion or our religion dies because of us” - Friedrich Nietzsche

^^He is right. Religions are the main cause of world-wide violence that causes death, or we take our religions out of context and say it's what our religions believe in that gives it a bad name.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I would prefer another source for this, I don't trust a source that says that a 1000 square metres (that's a square with sides a little bigger than 31 metres) mosque is a "mega mosque".

Well i did post a greek soruce in my thread, if you look carefully heres another source, for this
Greek reporter

he ministry of Transport and Infrastructure undertook the construction of the building. The initial plan was to spend 15 million euros on this construction but the final decision points that only 80% of this amount is going to be used.

heres more

source

I am planing a trip to greece this year or next it all depends on how are things on the ground, before i can go and travel to see my family freinds.

May I ask you mod something? that did you know that this has been avoided by the mainstream media? the reasoning for that is that they dont want a blowback or attacks on mosques thats why they been avoiding the debates of this.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Well i did post a greek soruce in my thread, if you look carefully heres another source, for this
Greek reporter
Yes, I saw the other sources, I should have been clear about what I would like, and that was another source pointing to the "thinly veiled threats of violence by thousands of Muslim residents".

May I ask you mod something?
My ATS name is ArMaP, and yes, you may.

that did you know that this has been avoided by the mainstream media? the reasoning for that is that they dont want a blowback or attacks on mosques thats why they been avoiding the debates of this.
No, I didn't know that, and I don't know what's the problem in having a mosque.

I also don't know why, on your opening post or in the comments I see on the several sources you provided, they always talk about Muslim immigrants. Aren't there any Greek Muslims? And even if there aren't any Greek Muslims, what's the problem with immigrants? Didn't the Greeks themselves immigrated all over the world when they needed? Didn't they like to have a place of worship according to their beliefs? Why are they against giving the same things they wanted to Muslims?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
Media has done goodwork fearmongering about Muslims.

No, they've done a good job doing that themselves.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join