It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Blue...Just Another Dying Race...did John W..make the ultimate Prophecy for Australians?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
There has never been any such thing as a true blue Aussie anyway.
That was just some fallacy coined by some clever author, True blue, Dinky Di etc are just local lingo used to confuse the immigrants and try to set the Aussies apart from the rest of England.
Any Englisher that is offended by the term Pom, is very thinned skinned indeed.
Ive heard many explanations for the meaning of POM, from Prisoner Of Mother England, to the Pommygranets, that sailors bought over, including the colour Fair Skinned Euros turned in the Sun.........Red.

Its never been a racial insult, because it was actually the spawn of English loins, that coined the term.

Much the same as Southern Englanders call the North people....The Norf....a backhanded insult.
Or the Irish ...Paddys, or the Welsh....Welshies??? (cant remember the correct term). Or the Geordies, etc etc.
In England, one village might have hated the next village 5 miles away. So being called a pom is not an insult. Im also a little annoyed by the continuing reference to the WW1 Anzacs fighting for Australia.....
They were NOT fighting for Australia, the were fighting in the British Imperial Forces, For the liberty of Mother England.
Their Loyalty was to England, however misplaced that may have been. WW1 wasnt in Aust. unlike WW2.
My Great Uncle died in the fields of France, and he was a 2nd Generation Aussie GERMAN!! from Prussia no less.....the very same group that ruled Germany at the time.....In essence he was fighting his cousins.
There is NO pride in War, and no winners, there is only the dead.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

It doesn't work. Now we're importing too much from overseas. Our orange farmers had to let their harvest rot because of the cheap imported oranges,

If you want the best stuff you go to a farmers market. All grown locally.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This is happening all around the world. Nothing new. And you know without an economy nobody would have a job. What would people do without a job? No matter what jobs we have, we will always hurt our environment. You're saying you do not want to hurt your environment at all. But that would mean not having any jobs. That doesn't make any sense.

The world is interbreeding and mixing. Multi-culturalism, etc. We're all becoming one. Borders are slowly coming down. The economy is the path that this mixing takes. It's very natural.

I would rather mix with china than war with them too - you know?

We consume resources to progress. Law of conservation of momentum ensures depletion. Eventually, we will consume a noticeable portion of the earth. There was a study released in the past several years by a world organization that concluded we would need two to three planets to sustain our population. From this one can deduce that we will steadily deplete our resources until we must look for resources out beyond earth on the other planets and in the asteroids.

It's all a natural progression, bro. A world government will form on earth as the resources dry up. We will then start colonizing space and governments will again break up as there're nations on different planets and asteroids. And far, far in the future we may even have a world government for the solar system. By then I imagine that the earth will be mostly genetic-modifed animals and depleted of its valuables. But all things change. Nothing remains the same. And it's not in vain.

We're just one link in a long chain of links that make up our shared human destiny.

As for the rich vs poor thing, that's normal too. It has always been that way. Why? Because the more successful among us need a work force to produce the necessary products and services. It's so engrained in us that it has become a mathematical principle named the power law curve.

These are growing pains, sir. You will understand later (maybe)

edit on 14-9-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
There has never been any such thing as a true blue Aussie anyway.
That was just some fallacy coined by some clever author, True blue, Dinky Di etc are just local lingo used to confuse the immigrants and try to set the Aussies apart from the rest of England.
Any Englisher that is offended by the term Pom, is very thinned skinned indeed.
Ive heard many explanations for the meaning of POM, from Prisoner Of Mother England, to the Pommygranets, that sailors bought over, including the colour Fair Skinned Euros turned in the Sun.........Red.

Its never been a racial insult, because it was actually the spawn of English loins, that coined the term.

Much the same as Southern Englanders call the North people....The Norf....a backhanded insult.
Or the Irish ...Paddys, or the Welsh....Welshies??? (cant remember the correct term). Or the Geordies, etc etc.
In England, one village might have hated the next village 5 miles away. So being called a pom is not an insult. Im also a little annoyed by the continuing reference to the WW1 Anzacs fighting for Australia.....
They were NOT fighting for Australia, the were fighting in the British Imperial Forces, For the liberty of Mother England.
Their Loyalty was to England, however misplaced that may have been. WW1 wasnt in Aust. unlike WW2.
My Great Uncle died in the fields of France, and he was a 2nd Generation Aussie GERMAN!! from Prussia no less.....the very same group that ruled Germany at the time.....In essence he was fighting his cousins.
There is NO pride in War, and no winners, there is only the dead.

damn gort.. this thread really touched a nerve huh?

But i have to disagree with what you say.. Firstly you are slightly inaccurate in the terms you use.. we do not call the welsh "welshies" and i have never heard someone use "the norf" as some kind of insult (really not sure where you got that from)

And its not about being thin skinned, the term pom can be a little bit racist in my opinion and in my experience in Australia it had been used with a racial undertone..

It is similar to the word "paddys", that can and does get used in a racist way.. the racist word for welsh is actually "taffy's".. American is "yanks".. Germans are "krauts" etc
Many people will not get offended with the general use of these terms but if they are said in a way as to highlight these words and use them as a kind of insult.. then yes they become racist terms..

i.e. the comment that was thrown at me from the original post this stems from..

"i cant wait to hear this from a pom
"

lets change it to..

"i cant wait to hear this from a paddy
"

or

"i cant wait to hear this from a yank
"

suddenly this word has a racial undertone to it.. the original poster didn't have to make this remark, he could have easily have expressed himself without throwing the pom insult at me. why exactly did he feel it necessary to use the term pom unless he was having a little dig at the fact i was English? and to laugh afterwards even highlights this.. so im sorry gort, i stand by my original comments.

and krusty, im not having a dig at you here and i do apologize at using your post as an example in replying to another, but i felt i had to explain it to this poster.
im in no way offended by what you said, i am actually thicker skinned than that.. but i just wanted to express my opinion.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

suddenly this word has a racial undertone to it.. the original poster didn't have to make this remark, he could have easily have expressed himself without throwing the pom insult at me. why exactly did he feel it necessary to use the term pom unless he was having a little dig at the fact i was English? and to laugh afterwards even highlights this.. so im sorry gort, i stand by my original comments.

and krusty, im not having a dig at you here and i do apologize at using your post as an example in replying to another, but i felt i had to explain it to this poster.
im in no way offended by what you said, i am actually thicker skinned than that.. but i just wanted to express my opinion.

No problem Mr L.

I have a feeling you may be misunderstanding the term "pom" or "pommie" though. Its a term we use for English, the same way we call a New Zealander a "Kiwi" or an American a "Yank"

Its a colloquial nickname nothing more. If you see it has racial undertones then you're the first Brit I've come across whose ever perceived that.

And if you think "Pommie' is bad, we Aussies get called "Sheepsh*ggers" by Kiwis and South Africans.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

I honestly thought this would be more about the out breeding of True Blues
sadly your average aussie is tough to spot in a crowd these days no?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

You will never die my Out back brother. God damn they can try but when the tribe rise it will change the world.

ALS

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

I dont take offence to being called a pom, it's no different to me calling you an ozzy, a? Waller!

ALS

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
John Williamson didnt write "True Blue", he re-released from an ealier writer that wrote it for the opening scenes to a local aussie tv show ealier on.

There was a documentary on it recently on tv.

Great song non the less by a great singer/songwriter.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Thanks to the 10% or so replies authors who kept on topic, alas some members like to use serious topics as a means of conversing with their multis ect...or just arguing banal , childish points.

But it is all good, hey true blue , don't say your gone.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

American is "yanks".

Gee no its not the true blue word for an American, its a sepo
sorry but it is in jest

Our best seafood does not go overseas Dr Expired, that is a fact, meat maybe only becaue it has too survive to get there, but seafood no, as for fruit and veggies same as seafood

Wasn't it in the eighties we were really scared about the japs buying up our #, this is just another scare mongering campaign by a select few, hence the comment about 90% of Australia is foreign owned, well **** a black snake i would love to read the proof behind that

As for the other comments in this thread and there is so many to quote I cant be asked, but I will go down to the pub and see if my dick is bigger in the dick swinging contest, fair dinkum

Wal

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious

I found it strange that in Australia, all the best fruit and veg grown gets shipped abroad and the lower quality stuff gets sold in Australia.
How does that work.

edit on 14-9-2011 by misscurious because: (no reason given)

This is the same for our coal. The good quality black coal gets shipped overseas and we get left with brown coal to use in our power stations. This is a dirty burning coal with more emissions.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krusty the Klown

No problem Mr L.

I have a feeling you may be misunderstanding the term "pom" or "pommie" though. Its a term we use for English, the same way we call a New Zealander a "Kiwi" or an American a "Yank"

Its a colloquial nickname nothing more. If you see it has racial undertones then you're the first Brit I've come across whose ever perceived that.

And if you think "Pommie' is bad, we Aussies get called "Sheepsh*ggers" by Kiwis and South Africans.

I hear what your saying krusty...

It's actually more the tone it is used in rather than the word.. But no worries mate.. Just a silly misunderstanding..

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL

I dont take offence to being called a pom, it's no different to me calling you an ozzy, a? Waller!

ALS

It's not quite the same actually.. Aussie is short for Australian.. It's the same as saying Irish, welsh, Scot, etc.. Nothing offensive about that.. Pom is more like the term paddy, taffy or jock..

Can be made offensive in the way it is used..

But anyway it doesn't really matter.. Done and dusted now..

And dr expired.. Sorry mate, I was probably the main reason why your thread went so far off topic.. For that I do apologize..

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL

ALS

For one its not ozzy, he's the front man for Black Sabbath. Its Aussie, slang for Australian.
We have quite a lot of slang for different day to day things, for example;
'septic tank' , 'jonny hop', 'dead horse', 'skin and blister'
I have never heard of us being to referred to as sheep shaggers, that term is generally used for kiwis.
We don't refer to ourselves as true blue, dinki di or anything like that. Those terms are only used by people who want to be like us.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
Thanks to the 10% or so replies authors who kept on topic, alas some members like to use serious topics as a means of conversing with their multis ect...or just arguing banal , childish points.

But it is all good, hey true blue , don't say your gone.

Sorry Doc.....I mean Cobber....

But when an English person says they are more qualified to know what it is to be an Australian by spending two years here..... how can you not respond.
edit on 15/9/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: Afterthought

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Pom is more like the term paddy, taffy or jock..

I think that may be the cause of the cultural misunderstanding here..... because as an Aussie they are terms I am unfamiliar with... I am unfamiliar with these meanings..

To me a "jock" is a person who is in to sports.

And "Paddy" is short for someone who's name is Patrick.

Again Doc E, sorry for derailing the thread, but I think we may be all actually learning something about the differences of lingo between each English speaking nation.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
krusty i hope you are right...

mr london...you have succesfully derailed the intention of this thread..i hope that was not your intention...!!
your statement about spending 2 years here and your statement about knowing more about australia than the average aussie is just plain ignorant,by your way of thinking i could learn martial arts for 2 years and spend 8 weeks with a master and then would have more more knowledge of martial arts than the average student of martial arts...please....
so can we leave it at a mis-understanding and get on with the op......good...thankyou..oh and FYI u might not have picked up on the fact i was not educated in australia...it was a private school in england..enough said.....

for me hit a nerve...i hate to think we..or should i say our goverment are so ready to sell our resources,or should i say the goverment let this happen.....we should be primary producers here...we have the space,the economy and the ability to produce the best goods in the world....from what i can gather we use to make some of the best tools and machinery in the world back in the early to mid 1900s ..

peace

peace

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

no pristine outback? Have you actually been out there?

I have travelled extensively around Australia and I can assure you there is plenty of pristine outback, where you can drive for 2 days and not see another soul..

I think you have slightly exaggerated the extent of the mining in the outback.. And as pointed out already this practise is a huge part of your economy, in exports, jobs and industry (to name but a few)

I hope you enjoyed it because it won't be there for long. The entire country has been sold off piece by piece including all the land that already privately owned by Australian Citizens. Nobody is allowed to get in the way of this Mining Resource Boom juggernaught. We are apparently so lucky to have so many of these bloodsucking global corporations fighting for the rights to suck the life out of our country. Step right up and get your slice of the mining tenure pie!!! We're giving it all away for next to nothing, WooHoo!!!

Below is a link to the Queensland Governments interactive mining resource map. Anyone who doubts the extent of this needs to see this map. What you need to do is click on the drop down menus on the left hand side and choose all the options available. Before long you will notice that you can't see any of queensland under all the mine sites, exploration sites, sites where licenses have been sold, mining infrastructure etc etc etc

Its a disgrace.

The Interactive Queensland Mining and Resource Map .

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by hopenotfeariswhatweneed
krusty i hope you are right...

mr london...you have succesfully derailed the intention of this thread..i hope that was not your intention...!!
your statement about spending 2 years here and your statement about knowing more about australia than the average aussie is just plain ignorant,by your way of thinking i could learn martial arts for 2 years and spend 8 weeks with a master and then would have more more knowledge of martial arts than the average student of martial arts...please....
so can we leave it at a mis-understanding and get on with the op......good...thankyou..oh and FYI u might not have picked up on the fact i was not educated in australia...it was a private school in england..enough said.....

for me hit a nerve...i hate to think we..or should i say our goverment are so ready to sell our resources,or should i say the goverment let this happen.....we should be primary producers here...we have the space,the economy and the ability to produce the best goods in the world....from what i can gather we use to make some of the best tools and machinery in the world back in the early to mid 1900s ..

peace
peace

Seriously mate.. Is there something wrong with you?

The thread was fine until you came in throwing insults at me and calling me a tool!!! It was You that derailed the thread in the first place... you frigin moron!!

If it wasn't for t and c's I would really give you a peice of my mind!!!

And why exactly after you commenting on the thread being derailed, do you continue to derail it with your comments?

Talk about a hypocrite!!

edit on 15/9/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join