It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam to be main source of legislation in post-Qaddafi Libya

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
source

TRIPOLI – Islam will be the main source of legislation in post-Muammar Qaddafi Libya, the head of Libya’s transitional leadership said in his first public address in Tripoli on Monday.

then he spins for the media

“We will not accept any extremist ideology, on the right or the left. We are a Muslim people, for a moderate Islam, and we will stay on this road,” he said.

moderate? doesnt he know that under Gaddafi libya was already moderate?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
going by the report I read, Sharia isn't just on the cards, it's another "must-have". If I can find the source I'll post it.
Now, I wouldn't claim to be an EXPERT or Islam, but... Sharia? Moderate?
Oxymoron much?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Libya: A call for democracy

The chief of Libya's revolutionary movement told thousands of cheering Libyans in Tripoli on Monday to strive for a civil, democratic state, while loyalists of the hunted dictator Moammar Gadhafi killed at least 15 opposition fighters in an attack on a key oil town in Libya's east.

From hiding, Gadhafi urged his remaining followers to keep up the fight, a sign that Libya's six-month war is not over even though revolutionary forces now control most of the country and have begun setting up a new government in the capital.

Mustafa Abdul-Jalil addressed a crowd of thousands in Martyr's Square in Tripoli, a site that until recently was famous for pro-Gadhafi rallies. Flanked by a few dozen revolutionary leaders in their largest public gathering since rebel forces stormed into the capital on Aug. 21, he called on Libyans to build a state based on the rule of law.

"No retribution, no taking matters into your own hands and no oppression. I hope that the revolution will not stumble because of any of these things," he said.

Read article for remainder of information....

Fears over Islamists within Libyan rebel ranks

Concerns had already surfaced following the unexplained killing in July of the rebels' military commander, Abdel Fattah Younes, after he was taken into custody by his own side for questioning.

Hmmmm....

But neither arrogance nor vengeance dominated Mr Belhaj's victory speech to the rebels in Tripoli. Instead, he called on Libyans to safeguard public property, end their vendettas and build a new Libya.

The moderate tone is generally consistent with what most LIFG leaders have been saying in the last six months, whether in eastern or western Libya. It seems their experiences in armed conflicts in Afghanistan, Libya and Algeria have forced them to mature politically, re-calculate strategically, and moderate their behaviour and ideology.

The former "fighting group" has even toned down its name, becoming the Islamic Movement for Change.

However, enforcing a moderate stance among its rank-and-file members will be a challenge for the leadership. In today's lawless war zone, which has placed small- and mid-sized arms in the hands of virtually everyone, conditions can change significantly and so can loyalties and hierarchies.

But a former mid-ranking LIFG member - who commands around 300 men from the coastal city of Derna - said the group has no ulterior motives.

"We are not trying to establish an Islamic emirate," said Abdul Hakim al-Hasadi. "Look around you… do you see any camps or a separate force from the rest of the fighters?"

The other challenge for the LIFG is to transform itself from a militia to a political party.

"We were trained as fighters and theologians, not politicians," said another former member of the group. "So when it comes to democracy, constitution, and elections, the leaders have got nothing to say."

Contrary to you posting the exact same article bits over and over and over in an attempt to sell the idea of an Radical Islamic Nation taking shape I ask you this question -

Why do you refuse to provide other sources of information that show something completely different than what you post? Why do you ignore information that undermines your own posts and information?

Whats up with the Agenda?

Also, you keep pointing this individual out as leader of the TNC. Is there any particular reason you are purposely ignoring his history in politics and his association with Ghaddafi?

Mustafa Abdul Jalil or Abdul-Jalil[1] (Arabic: مصطفى عبد الجليل‎, also transcribed Abdul-Jelil, Abd-al-Jalil,[2] Abdel-Jalil, Abdeljalil or Abdu Al Jeleil) (born 1952)[3] is a Libyan politician. From 2007 to 2011, he was Minister of Justice (officially, the Secretary of the General People's Committee of Justice) under Colonel Muammar al-Gaddafi.

Emphasis added by me...

[2] He has been noted in some news media for his stance against various human rights violations in Libya, although others express a different view and stress, for example, that it was he who sentenced to death the Bulgarian nurses (later converted to life imprisonment and eventually release).

During the 2011 Libyan civil war, Abdul Jalil has been identified as the Chairman of the National Transitional Council based in Benghazi, which controls most of the country, although this position is contested by others in the uprising due to his past direct participation to Gaddafi's government as Minister of Justice for four years until 2011.

You shouldnt count your chickens until they hatch.

If these "rebels" are as evil as you claim, then apparently you supported them when they worked for Ghadaffi. Care to explain why you attack the rebels, yet ignore the attachment to Ghaddafi? Why did you not have issues with these people when they worked for Ghaddafi?

Also, can you explain why he is apparently giving different press releases, talking out of both sides of his mouth? Its apparent he is not credible, and every time he opens his mouth its more and more apparent. He has tried to annoint himself as the leader, and its very clear other groups in the TNC are rejecting that prospect.

Ironically enough they have not arrested him, dragged him out back and executed him.... Not something I would expect from "Radical Rebels" bent on destruction....
edit on 14-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

dont give me a BS nonsone talk of democracy

If these "rebels" are as evil as you claim, then apparently you supported them when they worked for Ghadaffi. Care to explain why you attack the rebels, yet ignore the attachment to Ghaddafi? Why did you not have issues with these people when they worked for Ghaddafi?

Ah and since when are rebels Saints?
and i have asked you not to relpy in my threads if you have problem of my views? since its pretty obvious your supporting bunch of terrorists.

he is not credible

Nor are the western mainstream news credible NATO Fanboy
edit on 14-9-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
BTW the TNC executive council, has established a 20 month time frame to draft a consitution and allow input from libyans....

So nothing is set in stone.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

My responses to your posts are on topic and relevant, and I am not going to leave and allow you to spin your agenda unhindered.

You have gone on record stating all the rebels are evil, while you support Ghaddafi and his government. Please explain how you can support the Ghaddafi government and its people, and then decide they are evil when they side with the rebels?

Its a valid question based on your previous statements.

Also, placing my comments in bold doesnt do anything but make your responses look weird. Use the quote button ATS supplies. This ensures my statements are intact and not edited in any way.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
dont give me a BS nonsone talk of democracy

then dont give me your BS argument that Libya was a Democracy under Ghaddafi.....

Nor are the western mainstream news credible NATO Fanboy

Any yet you continue to use Western Sources when it fits your agenda, while decrying them when it doesnt. Care to explain why you do this?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Any Libyan regime, will be installed. Even if it is Islam based it will still be ran from behind the scenes. NATO will allow the appearance of a Muslim government, but we all know it will be a puppet western democracy that robs the Libyan people of their rights and resources. It won't be long after before another revolution comes when the Libyans realize what has happened. I think the loyalists know this and this is why they are still fighting.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
....but we all know it will be a puppet western democracy that robs the Libyan people of their rights and resources.

Based on???

Your opinion? Aliens from the future? The Oracle of Delphi?

Ouiji boards?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

....but we all know it will be a puppet western democracy that robs the Libyan people of their rights and resources.

Based on???

Ouiji boards?

LOL, based on Ouiji boards mostly. Just joking.

My statement was based on logical facts from recent events. I thought it was obvious what was happening from the start. Here is a basic hint. I'm sure you can figure the rest out.

World leaders meet to discuss post-Gadhafi Libya

World leaders agreed on Thursday that the United Nations will take the lead on assisting Libya's new leadership in a post-Moammar Gadhafi era. Leaders and envoys from 60 nations met in Paris for talks with the rebel-led National Transitional Council to build a roadmap of Libya's future and hash out a strategy for winding down the NATO mission. UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said that dozens of world leaders agreed that the UN will take the lead and he urged "prompt action" to "deploy a civilian mission as rapidly as possible."

Hope that helps clear it up a little for ya

Oh I must add that I do think they will try to make it look like the Libyan officials are calling the shots. There will even be anti western rhetoric from the new Libyan government to portray this illusion of self identity. Just a hunch of mine on the last part. I am very confident of it.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Based on???

Ouiji boards?

Based on King Idrs The Rebel leadership and NTC Also includes a family member from The pro puppet western libyan royal Idrs Family, and Corruption Exposed is correct libya in the 1950s was a puppet to west.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Not really since the past is the past and the future is not written yet. Looking for gloom and doom accomplishes what exactly? A movement started by the people is turned into internatioanl intrique because?

Why are people not making the smae argument for Tunisia? Egypt? Yemen? Syria? Iran? Jordan? Saudi Arabia? UAE? Bahrain?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Not really since the past is the past and the future is not written yet. Looking for gloom and doom accomplishes what exactly? A movement started by the people is turned into internatioanl intrique because?

Why are people not making the smae argument for Tunisia? Egypt? Yemen? Syria? Iran? Jordan? Saudi Arabia? UAE? Bahrain?

My post was not meant to offend you or tempt you to make incorrect assumptions about me. I am not dooming and glooming, just being realistic. Perhaps my view on reality differs, that is a side issue.

A movement started by the people is turned into internatioanl intrique because?

Sorry please clarify that, I am not sure what you are asking and how it related to my post.

I have personally heard this argument made for all those countries here on ATS, other forums, and even on the mainstream news.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Based on King Idrs The Rebel leadership and NTC Also includes a family member from The pro puppet western libyan royal Idrs Family, and Corruption Exposed is correct libya in the 1950s was a puppet to west.

Yes, even since the 50's Libya was bought and payed for. I have heard this discussed on many threads and their evidence was very convincing. Regrettably I do not feel like finding a source at the moment, but I am sure it is common knowledge.

Agent, what are your thoughts of the possibility of inner conflicts within the Muslim factions of the new government, and if it will cause a new revolution or regime change?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Agent, what are your thoughts of the possibility of inner conflicts within the Muslim factions of the new government, and if it will cause a new revolution or regime change?

Since This supposed revolution isnt over qutie yet i wouldnt expect anything to happen yet in libya until late 2012 2013 time period, dont forget the world is still facing a huge economic crisis, so if things get really bad in the EU i could see things will spread into the middle east and north africa.

So a new revolution wont happen now but one year from now, heck even Iraq has a growing unemployment rate crisis we may see a revolution in iraq in 2012.

edit on 14-9-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

First off Thank You for using the proper quote function.
Secondly Thank you for providing information to support your view on that issue.

Lets clear up some history.

The British made him an Emir prior to WWII when they controlled those areas. Prior to British intervention, Libya as we know it did not exist. It was fragmented into smaller "fiefdoms" for lack of a better word. The King consolidated Libya as we know it now.

The King went into exile during Italian colonial campaigns in Africa, and NOT because of the US. The King brought forces in to fight on the side of the allies (and its here I point out that Italy was an Axis power, not allied).

After WWII, while the King was receiving medical attention in Turkey, Ghaddafi pulled a coup and took over. Not exactly democratic now is it?

What do you leave out? The coup was not against the King, it was actually against his regent, which was his brothers son. His heir apparent was made regent long before the coup as the Kings health failed.

What presence did the Us have? An Air force base, which was used during WWII, when we, uhm, liberated, the country from Axis powers.

So lets recap - Source
Libya as we know it was not as we know it prior to WWII.
The British made the king, who then consolidated "Libya" under a monarchy with a consitution.
The King could not produce a male heir, so made his brothers son heir.
The son was eventually named regent and took control over day to day operations long before the King was "overthrown" in a coup.
The Coup was in place and let by Ghaddafi.

The only Us involvement was the airforce base during WWII.
Italy, an AXIS power, invaded Libya and later the Nazis.

Fast forward to 2011 -

Although the king died in exile and most Libyans were born after his reign, during the current 2011 Libyan uprising, many demonstrators opposing Colonel Gadaffi use the old tricolour flag of the monarchy and carry portraits of the king, especially in the traditional Sanussi stronghold of Cyrenaica.[6]

Some fun facts of Ghaddafi -
What ideology replaced the constitution when Ghaddafi seized power? -
Third International Theory
1951 Constitution Ghaddafi chucked out the window

What is his Third Theory based on? His own political beliefs, not those of the citizens.

Why prompted Ghaddafi to overthrow the King?
The Arab loss to Israel when they invaded. He felt

The frustration and shame felt by Libyan officers by Israel's massive defeat of the Arab armies on three fronts in 1967 fuelled their determination to contribute to Arab unity by overthrowing the Libyan monarchy. An early conspirator, Gaddafi first started planning the overthrow of the monarchy while a cadet.

Please explain how the West is as involved as you claim with Libya and the King. Explain how the overthrow of the King by Ghaddafi was democratic in nature? I will cede the point that under him the Libyan people saw advances in GDP / GCI as well as medical advancements.

Explain how it was a Democracy, giving examples other than because Ghaddafi proclaimed it to be one. You have made many claims that dont agree with History. All I ask is for you to defend those comments with sources we can read for ourselves. Simply decclaring something invalid because it comes from a Western Source is not going to cut it, and frankly reinforces my opinion that you do not truely understand what a Democracy is or entails.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

My post was not meant to offend you or tempt you to make incorrect assumptions about me. I am not dooming and glooming, just being realistic. Perhaps my view on reality differs, that is a side issue.

Not offended in the least bit. Just curious as to how predictions can be made as if they are a fact. History is just that, and can be used as a guide, but as with weather prediction, its not exact. Just curious how the argument can be made about Libya's future when many of the topics being brought up in these forums havent even been discussed in any length in Libya.

The civil war is not over.....

Sorry please clarify that, I am not sure what you are asking and how it related to my post.

It goes into the conspiracy theories people present as fact, IE the citizens of Libya are incapable of being successful against the Libyan government / Military which translates into international intrigue on what "western government" is invovled.

I dont understand why its difficult for people to recognize that if a group of people want change, they are capable of overcoming what can be seen as insurmountable odds. Something that was talked about back in the day when we decided we didnt want tea at noon and wanted our National anthem to be based of a drinking song.

I have personally heard this argument made for all those countries here on ATS, other forums, and even on the mainstream news.

Not in the same context as Libya though, well with the exception of a few Arab countries who are allied with the West. The US is incapable of keeping a secret, and if we use history as a guide (as others do) we see it. The Us is not intelligent enough to completely understand internal politics of the people in arab countries, and to use that info to start overthrows, especially of governments we are allied with.

It undermines our policies in the region, and with everything, just because we are rooting for one side to win, doesnt mean that side will remain firendly to the US.

I am saying people are completely ignoring the uprisings for what they are, and instead attributing them to western influence, and are basing off the mindset of the people arent capable of overthrowing their government.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

The same as every other middle eastern country, all incorporate Islam into their system of government to some extent, lets not forget it is the historically dominant religion in the region, obviously it has some prominence.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeissacred

The same as every other middle eastern country, all incorporate Islam into their system of government to some extent, lets not forget it is the historically dominant religion in the region, obviously it has some prominence.

Except for the fact that Libya is not a part of the Middle East. The same can be said for Iran as well, which is Persian and built off a different culteral setup.

Im not trying to be a jerk by the way, but the distinctions are important, and not recognizing them leads to misconceptions.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

This supposed revolution

Yep, that's what it is IMO, orchestrated from outside by evil people..
All they want is control of the assets and don't care how many die to get them..

If Australia was in trouble and I heard the US or NATO etc were going to help, I'd move to NZ fast.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

This supposed revolution

Yep, that's what it is IMO, orchestrated from outside by evil people..
All they want is control of the assets and don't care how many die to get them..

If Australia was in trouble and I heard the US or NATO etc were going to help, I'd move to NZ fast.

Contrary to whats often repeated time and again, you do understand the largest supplier of oil to the US is actually Canada, followed by Venezuela. The notion its about oil seems to be nothing more than an excuse lately to explain away the peoples revolt and actions.

As far as the question goes about stability of the new TNC, there are craks in the foundation. The interim PM, who is the topic of this thread, is not moving faset enough for some of the groups, and they are complaining he spends to much time out of the country.

They are supposed to sit down and work some of those issues out so things move a bit quicker in that area. As with anything, time will tell if this works or not based on the response of the people.

2011 US Oil imports by country - top 15

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/318d7f06a6ed.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join