It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 new planets discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

50 new planets discovered

www.theaustralian.com.au

THE amount of cosmic real estate just skyrocketed, with the discovery of 50 planets beyond our solar system bolstering the quest to find alien life.

The discovery of the planets was announced yesterday by astronomers with the European Southern Observatory. They comprise the largest group simultaneously revealed and bring the tally of so-called extra-solar planets to nearly 600.

"This is good news for those hoping to find some company in the galaxy," said Seth Shostak, senior astronomer with the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute in San Francisco, California.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.hindustantimes.com
timesofindia.indiatimes .com

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Another interesting discovery. It seems we are finding more and more every day. I for one found the estimated fraction of the discovered planets that could support life very interesting which is 1 to 10 per cent. By my calculations that means that between half a planet and five planets of the ones discovered may be able to support life.

Who knows what type of life that is....Microbial, Bacterial or giant praying mantises, although with the rate at which we are discovering new planets it seems like any time now there will be an announced of life found on another planet, surely the most important announcement in human history, ever.

Cheers

www.theaustralian.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
From the article:

As Dr Shostak told The Australian, the inventory will grow next year when NASA's Kepler telescope determines what fraction of stars have planets that can support life. "The answer is likely to be somewhere between 1 and 10 per cent," he said.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
This has been posted before, but more information is always welcome.

Here's a short report of these planets.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Fifty planets with a chance of being rocky and perhaps Earthlike

When we read these articles ...don't we really know how much we don't know?

Anyway great thread,

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

I wonder how long it will be before we develop telescopes advance enough to decipher and view across many lightyears... imagine that. I mean interstellar travel in my opinion is a millenia away.... but to develop the technology to view these planets in their clear surfaced image from lightyears away, this is a possibility for the near future if you ask me....

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

And how amazing would that be? Incredibly amazing. With advances in technology like that the likelihood of finding something very significant just increases every instant. I love it,

Cheers for the replies!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
All the while we cut down the Amazon...

Remember that guy form the 80's that found the cure for HIV/AIDS? In the rain-forest.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

this is just amazing maybey one day we can send some of our overpaulation over there to start a new great life like columbus did in 42. i would want to check it out

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
So yeah, maybe just scroll on down the page and check this out....

www.abovetopsecret.com

2 days late my man, and I didn't even try....

Good job though, keep on truckin.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Ya know what the most exciting part of all this is???

the Kepler telescope only looks at a narrow cone...and within that cone only sees less that 3% of our galaxy...
imagine how mush more is out there waiting

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This is all hogwash. Scientists are just as big a liars as politicians and journalists. They make up these stories to keep the money coming in.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

That truly is incredible, oh what awaits!

Hopefully not the giant praying mantis option.....

Cheers

reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

Very narrow minded perspective yeah? You must be pretty paranoid man....
edit on 14-9-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

...Really? So all the documented insects (new ones found almost every day) are fabricated?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
50 new planets that can sustain life, here's a few suggestions when the world powers starting separating us into groups, first planet the rich, elites and corporate, second planet the rapist and murderers, third planet alcoholics and druggies fourth planet lazy free loaders, fifth planet racist, sixth planet conspiracy theorist, seventh planet men who think woman are lower class then men, eighth planet woman liberals, just for a few. I think the first planet to destroy itself will be the first planet.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
S + F, sir.

Just a shame that many as gaseous planets & only a few seem to resemble earth.

We'll never be able to explore these planets properly, in our life-time...which is a bummer.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

Maybe not in our lifetime as humans.....

edit on 14-9-2011 by Se7enex because: spelling

top topics

join