It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Blacks married to the Democratic Party?If it wasn't for Republicans they'd still be SLAVES

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Yeah I know and I'm not trying to come up as a racist or anything I would just like to enlighten our readers that there's other choices out there ( I won't say who but you can probably guess) other than anybody that's black or anybody that's democratic or anybody that's republican or tea bagger... etc

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swing80s
And to Bruce: that actually makes some sense.

Bruce, said "that's why this thread seems racist.". It makes sense does it.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I need to start quoting people but I meant to quote what he said before that.

And to LifeIsEnergy: Spot on man that's what I'm trying to argue here.

I just think that people should read about the party and the candidate's views that they like, because if you look at the Democrats it's pretty ugly until Lyndon Johnson.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

OK if you still think I'm a racist. Look up president Lincoln.. Did you know he set the slaves FREE?!?! OMG REALLY?? And why don't you research the reconstruction period and how black voters were intimidated by voting so they had to call in the army in the south. Just read anything about the reconstruction. Oh yeah I can't believe a smart person like you didn't know that Woodrow Wilson was a democratic rasist that vastly approved "The Birth of a Nation" which shows black people raping and pillaging white women with the DUN DUN DUN DUN KKK to the RESCUE!!! Faster than a speeding bullet! Able to lynch blacks in 5 minutes! Can leap on top of houses and burn them down in a single minute!! Seriously you must be uneducated if you don't know about these basic facts... I'm not a racist but apparently you are.

What does that have to do with whether or not you are racist? It's not so much about what you are saying... but how you are saying it...

You might as well have started off with that wonderful phrase "I am not racist....But..."

Yeah, we know Lincoln freed the slaves. Did you know that he didn't do it because he felt slavery was wrong? He actually didn't care one way or the other...

yes, every one knows that black people were intimidated and kept from voting.

So how does pointing out that you are coming across as racist ( Intentional or not) make US racist?

Take care buddy.... Good luck... You are going to need it.

By the way, can you break up your OP into paragraphs? it is hard enough to read your posts as it is.
edit on 14-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

OK if you still think I'm a racist. Look up president Lincoln.. Did you know he set the slaves FREE?!?! OMG REALLY?? And why don't you research the reconstruction period and how black voters were intimidated by voting so they had to call in the army in the south. Just read anything about the reconstruction. Oh yeah I can't believe a smart person like you didn't know that Woodrow Wilson was a democratic rasist that vastly approved "The Birth of a Nation" which shows black people raping and pillaging white women with the DUN DUN DUN DUN KKK to the RESCUE!!! Faster than a speeding bullet! Able to lynch blacks in 5 minutes! Can leap on top of houses and burn them down in a single minute!! Seriously you must be uneducated if you don't know about these basic facts... I'm not a racist but apparently you are.

You actually really ARE being a racist in the things that you're saying. What percentage of African Americans are registered Democrat? Do you even know? Your thread was badly written and full of grammar and punctuation mistakes btw.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by chanel
What percentage of African Americans are registered Democrat? Do you even know?

well according to wikipedia:

the current President of the United States, Barack Obama, who managed to net over 95% of the African American vote in the 2008 election.

en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)#African_Americans

i don't know, but that seems pretty biased to me.. i mean 95%? that's ridiculous. and i'm sure most of those votes were made for the simple fact that the man is black. not to be racist or anything but people who are living in the ghetto don't exactly research these things. yes there are african-americans who do actually care and make informed decisions, but you can't tell me that 95% of african-americans voted for the man because they liked his health care plan or because they liked his financial goals, or because he said he would bring the troops home, which by the way he still hasn't done.

what has obama actually done that he said he would during his campaign?

i'm sure there is going to be someone who posts after me with a short list of meager accomplishments. i await anxiously

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

Because Republicans sometimes say insensitive things like..."Why are Blacks married to the Democratic Party?If it wasn't for Republicans they'd still be SLAVES"?

edit on 14-9-2011 by veryinteresting because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Does the African-American population know that during and around the 1830's that the entire South was Democratic and that it supported slavery threatening succession if denied it?
Does the African-American population know that the Democrats were the wealthy plantation owning slave owners that kept them suffering for decades until the Civil War?
Do African-Americans know that their "hero" besides "Martin Luthor", Abraham Lincoln was a Republican and the FIRST Republican?
Do African Americans know that after the civil war during the post-war period they were under constant attack by organazations such as the KKK that were approved by the local Democrats?
Do African-Americans know that Lincoln's Vice President after his death was a Democrat only because the losing parties nominee became Vice President and President if the President in office died? He was a southerner and was later impeached because he tried to take away the civil rights of Blacks in the south during reconstruction to try and incorporate the South into the US faster and is widely known to be one of the worst US presidents among Woodrow Wilson (who was a Democrat as well and was a fantatic about the movie "Birth of a Nation" which was extremely untrue in it's facts claiming the KKK as hereos and who also wrote an extremely racist book "A History of the American People").
Do African-Americans know that General Grant was a northerner and tried to crush the Confederacy as fast as possible with great strategy that ended the war quite early? As a Republican he became President in 1869 and during Reconstruction he occupied the south with the Army and imposed free elections for blacks while at the same time hunting down and pacifying the KKK. This caused Republicans to be voted into power in the South by the majority of black voters since there was such a high density of them in the South. This furthered the fight against racism and lynch mobs and the KKK.
Throughout the early 1900's to the 1960's to present, the Democrats slowly increased power in the south and eventually we ended up with a resurgence of the KKK along with mob lynchings, Jim Crow laws, segregation everywhere especially in schools, and massive civil strife and disobedience causing the National Guard to come in. I think I even remember a DEMOCRAT in the 1960's that became Governor in Alabama which I believe shouted a popular phrase "SEGREGATION NOW, SEGREGATION IN THE FUTURE, AND SEGREGATION FOREVER!". I believe he got a lot of applause.

To pick up where your history lesson left off:

After the Civil Rights Movement successfully challenged the Jim Crow laws and other forms of institutionalized racism, and after the Democrats as a whole came to symbolize the mainstream left of the United States, the form, if not the content, of Southern Democratic politics began to change. At that point, most Southern Democrats defected to the Republican Party, and helped accelerate the latter's transformation into a more conservative organization.

After World War II, during the civil rights movement, Democrats in the South initially still voted loyally with their party. The signing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, however, was the last straw for many Southern Democrats, who began voting against Democratic incumbents for GOP candidates.

en.wikipedia.org...

Given those tidbits, do you still have any questions?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm no fan of Sharpton, but this thread reminded me of a speech he gave back in 2004. He actually answers your question pretty directly:

You said the Republican Party was the party of Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. It is true that Mr. Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, after which there was a commitment to give 40 acres and a mule. That's where the argument, to this day, of reparations starts. We never got the 40 acres. We went all the way to Herbert Hoover, and we never got the 40 acres. We didn't get the mule. So we decided we'd ride this donkey as far as it would take us.

Mr. President, you said would we have more leverage if both parties got our votes, but we didn't come this far playing political games. It was those that earned our vote that got our vote. We got the Civil Rights Act under a Democrat. We got the Voting Rights Act under a Democrat. We got the right to organize under Democrats.

Mr. President, the reason we are fighting so hard, the reason we took Florida so seriously, is our right to vote wasn't gained because of our age. Our vote was soaked in the blood of martyrs, soaked in the blood of Goodman, Chaney, and Schwerner, soaked in the blood of four little girls in Birmingham.

This vote is sacred to us.

This vote can't be bargained away.

This vote can't be given away.

Mr. President, in all due respect, Mr. President, read my lips: Our vote is not for sale.

Al Sharpton 2004 Democratic National Convention Speech
edit on 14-9-2011 by Boreas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Yeah, I wouldn't say your racist. Frustrated and concerned, yes. Playing partisan politics, maybe. Racist, no.

The only other thing I would like to add to this thread is that we must be careful when arguing beliefs from a historical standpoint. History is a very unreliable and relative thing, and can be perceived in different ways by different people. A historian may spend decades studying one event or one person, analyzing all the different sides and stories just to conclude a theory of what may have actually happened. Some say Lincoln should be given credit for freeing the slaves, others will tell you that he only did so at the behest of social, political and economic pressure. And the same with JFK, some will say he was a truly noble fighter for civil rights, others; including MLK himself, may say he was merely acting upon self-interest due to social, political and economic pressures.

I don't think politicians, on either side, really deserve any, or at least much, credit for positive social changes. Turning points in social change have always arisen from masses of people who put pressure on politicians to act. I suggest everyone watch or read "The People's History of the United States of America" by Howard Zinn.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Here:I believe Saul Williams will sum it nicely for us all,Black,White,Yellow,Brown..

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hey thanks to everybody that actually tried to answer my questions instead of calling me a racist. The only reason I posted this was because I seriously wondered why so many African-Americans seemed to be voting blue by pure blind faith as it seemed to me. It was just a question that popped up in my head and yeah I used the title to get people's attention and spilled out everything I knew as fast as I could type, that's why I wasn't soo critical on my grammar. I just don't feel that it's right that some people may be voting in ignorance without too much understanding on history.

I also don't think that our nation should be a two party system. Seriously why should we as a people have to vote for the lesser of two evils? African-Americans aren't just a statistic, they're citizens of the US like me and everyone else that's been born in America.

It's also a shame that when we freed them as slaves and they suddenly had rights they started at the bottom of the totem poll. I mean if you're a slave and then you're all of a sudden told that you're "free" what are you going to do now? Most likely you'll do what you've been doing all your life as an endentured servant now.

Maybe we should have gave them reparations in the begining instead of now in the end. That way we wouldn't have people saying "these damn reparations are costing us as tax payers too much" and on the other side we wouldn't have people saying "we've suffered for so long under your oppression you deserve to give us special welfare programs and tax breaks".

When I look at post-apartheid South Africa it is an absolutely horrible situation. The whites are now the minority and they live in houses which are more like castles surrounded by high walls for protection. There are literally dead bodies on the highways. It is the AIDS capital of the world and it is such a beautiful country but I don't think I would ever want to visit it.

Maybe if we didn't set freed blacks up for failure in the begining we wouldn't have such heated debates and issues but now we have to ask ourselves if there will ever be a time when we're all properly integrated enough that we wouldn't have to be "shamed" into putting extra cash into social programs and some people in the middle-class wouldn't think they'd have to carry the "burden" of paying for all of it.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
S &F for you, OP

I can't understand why there are so many negative replies to this thread, especially when the post is ABSOLUTELY true!

I am speaking as a black woman, formerly Democratic, but newly republican, for the very reasons that the OP is speaking about. It was learning about the things stated, such as the history of the parties and the ideologies demonstrated, in particular the Democratic from-cradle-to-grave- mentality that I have opened my eyes to, enticed me to make the switch.

I'm guessing that it is the truth that hurts, but it will be the truth that free them off of the Democratic Plantation.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by veryinteresting
reply to post by Swing80s

Because Republicans sometimes say insensitive things like..."Why are Blacks married to the Democratic Party?If it wasn't for Republicans they'd still be SLAVES"?

edit on 14-9-2011 by veryinteresting because: (no reason given)

Do you assert that the OP's question is insensitive because......perhaps it is the truth?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I hate wide generalizations. I am considered black and I hate ALL political parties. They all lie, cheat and steal, right before the eyes of the world. We need new parties with new ideas and new blood.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Mostly because of the Kennedy/Johnson and the civil rights bills that was passed in '60's. Lincoln was a Republican on paper but he was a Whig and Lincoln did not end slavery, the 13th Amendment did. The emancipation proclamation effectively freed no one. Believe it or not there were black men who fought on the CSA side of the war.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DivineFem
I hate wide generalizations. I am considered black and I hate ALL political parties. They all lie, cheat and steal, right before the eyes of the world. We need new parties with new ideas and new blood.

Divine Fem... well said...

Wide generalizations, including polls are so misleading and used as 'brainwashing' material by both parties in an attempt to keep 'the mushrooms in the dark' and under control.

I am considered white, but have French, Irish, Native American and German in my family history, but I am most importantly an American.

The donkeys and the elephants long ago abused themselves to the point of becoming worse than useless, perverted and corrupted by the insanity which is parties lines and the influence of wealthy elitist and big corporate money.

A person's ethinticty has little if anything to do with political views.

This is clearly racist propoganda to suggest that, due to a persons color that they vote for one party or another.

Somewhat more correctly is everyone seems to miss the fact that one of the most dangerous issues in politics today is that the 'separation of church and state' ONLY conferrs protection to the church, and none to the state. I personally suggest that many more vote along religious lines of agendas rather than racial.

To add insult to injury, I have heard it so many times from the lips of politicans, "they (us) just don't understand what we do". In other words, we are ignorant and the politicans are all understanding.

Bushwah... BS, Horse S_ _ t, lies and propoganda.

edit on 17-3-2012 by OldCurmudgeon because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

They used to vote Republican up until Roosevelt who gave them jobs and began supporting the civil rights movement. To keep the southern vote much of the Republican party resisted the civil rights movement. Its very easy to understand that you would vote for the people who most recently supported you having rights instead the people who now trying to hold you back, However, I am sure somene who is educated like yourself already knows this. And that begs the question, why are you asking it here?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Before you actually say anything like this think about it.When I went to Korea my favorite brother Vernon M.Fields and I used to racially insult each other for our amusement. He loved heavy metal.We used to trade and borrow each other's tunes.We also used to kick peoples butts who were bigots.that's where I learn about ignorance and bigotry.Ignorance means a mistake by lack of knowledge.In my case ,not realizing a black man would listened to heavy metal. It was ignorant of me to think COLLECTIVELY about his skin.Bigotry hates his skin,which really must gall those jerks if they like sports.
What you just expressed is a prime example of collectivist logic,all are the same.There may be many who may fit your idea but maybe not even a majority do.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Youji69

yes but before obama what percentage of whites voted for a white president for the last 200 years? %100 lol!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join