It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun is going down on Atheism

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Actually, the term “bird” in Leviticus 11:13 (as well as Genesis 1:20-30) is translated from the Hebrew word ‘ôp, which literally means “flying creatures”

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm all for freedom of religion but forced religion sucks. stop knocking my door i will not convert.
i think religion has some benefits for some people but has a whole it has done nothing but start wars and hold back progress.
If hell is real, then about 99% of us will go there, how many of you have commited a sin.
it stupid to base your actions in life on some old ass book. go to school and learn real world knowledge.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Sad to see so much judgement coming from the very people who say they preach love. How can you cherry pick bible verses? Paraphrasing Deny god and go to Hell, and then ignore judge not lest Ye be judged. Like I said its sad. If you are trying to convert people, then trolling for angry replies from atheists isn't the way to go OP. But maybe you are just trolling for trolling's sake. But you won't win anyone on this site over by calling us fools(through bible quotes) or telling us believe what I do or else [hell].
edit on 14-9-2011 by TruePatriot1685 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Worst. Altar call. Ever.

Can I get an amen?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by BruceEFury

The Bible is not meant to be a scientific description of modern biological categories. To the Hebrew of ancient times, calling it a bird was perfectly logical. To the ancients, creatures such as a bat were considered birds since they categorized all flying animals as birds. You have simply imposed upon the ancient text a modern system of categorization and then said that the Bible is wrong. This is a big error in thinking.

with this statement are you saying that ancient men NOT god wrote the bible?

surely God knows the difference between a bird and a mammal.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruePatriot1685
Sad to see so much judgement coming from the very people who say they preach love. How can you cherry pick bible verses? Paraphrasing Deny god and go to Hell, and then ignore judge not lest Ye be judged. Like I said its sad. If you are trying to convert people, then trolling for angry replies from atheists isn't the way to go OP. But maybe you are just trolling for trolling's sake. But you won't win anyone on this site over by calling us fools(through bible quotes) or telling us believe what I do or else [hell].
edit on 14-9-2011 by TruePatriot1685 because: (no reason given)

One of the things I detest most about the invasive parts of christianity is the basic dishonesty, a result of everything coming second to the missionary zeal. Even honesty.

So if 'cosmetic betterments' are believed to be effective, cosmetics it is.

And as in my initial post on this thread, where I criticized the orchestrated scenario, I will hang on to your comment here as another example:

Quote: ["Sad to see so much judgement coming from the very people who say they preach love."]

It's my distinct experience, that the louder the 'love'-preaching is, the less is there actually of the stuff, when you start scratching the surface. This 'love' is often very cosmetic, and when it comes to the point, extremely conditional.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Originally posted by BruceEFury

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

What sin? If they love and respect everything and everyone there is nothing more. God would be proud that this being was able to do so.

Jesus taught love.

Just my opinion.

if a father punishes his child to correct them he does so because he wants his child to live a better life.
hell as an eternal punishment has nothing ZERO to do with correction it is eternal punishment...not something a good loving father would ever allow.

And that's the only thing I follow with Christianity,
the teaching of love, yet .. God sends people to hell,
so that means god must hate people... hmm.
I'm done here.

If a father punishes his child for doing something wrong.
Does he hate his child?
No. It isn't hate.

eternal damnation and eternal torture are not tools in a good fathers handbook of correction.
edit on 14-9-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer

The Bible is not meant to be a scientific description of modern biological categories. To the Hebrew of ancient times, calling it a bird was perfectly logical. To the ancients, creatures such as a bat were considered birds since they categorized all flying animals as birds. You have simply imposed upon the ancient text a modern system of categorization and then said that the Bible is wrong. This is a big error in thinking.

Afraid not. 'God' didn't know how cosmos is constructed and looks like either.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
So spewing out "bible versus" and talking about peoples "opinions" on Athiests (which isn't even a religion by the way) is doing what exactly? So your trying to get us to beilive in God by fear? By saying we will rot in hell? By saying we are clueless because of the fact that we don't blindlessly follow anything without proof? What kind of thread is this?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto

Originally posted by GmoS719

Originally posted by subtopia
It is not your eyes that you are using or you would see the absence of any factual knowledge of the existence of a god in the way the christian belief portrays it, except for the reactions of men who enjoy the suffering of women in childbirth. What kind of loving entity would do that to a woman.

What kind of woman would trade eternal life for a fig?
lol

Nailed it! Everyone is forgetting the free will part of it. Where EVERYTHING is pointing to "BELIEVE, BELIEVE" and people just simply CHOOSE not to. Ridiculous.

lol free will? really? how is it free will if god says do what i say and if you dont i will punish you for eternity...but you can choose so thats free will...
to offer someone only one choice and call it free will, you can choose what you want, is an outright lie.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7cd9424963db.jpg[/atsimg]

A favorite saying of the atheist is that atheism is the most NATURAL state of man.

They claim that all people are "born" atheists and that religion is merely taught or imposed.

Apparently - our "intelligent" atheist friends have not thought that logic through very well.

Since the vast majority of the world's population is "religious" and believes in "God" - then obviously many more have left atheism to become religious - than the other way around.

By the atheist's own admission they have lost multiplied billions to religion and God!

Consider the following...

A worldwide survey shows the population of atheists at only around 2.4% of the world's total population. "Worldwide adherents of all Religions by Six Continental Areas, Mid-1995" Encyclopedia Britannica.

A 2004 survey by the CIA in the World Factbook also estimates - of the world's total population. only about 2.4% are atheists.

So a full 97-98% of the world's population are believers of some sort as opposed to about only 2% claiming to be atheists.

Could it really be that only 2% of 6 BILLION people - have the truth while the remaining 5 billion 850 million people have it all wrong? Gee - what are the odds of THAT?

The ARROGANCE of the pitiful atheist is amazing.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b588b8fd017f.jpg[/atsimg]

While CURRENTLY - there ARE more atheists than ever before, several reliable polls show that atheism's percentages seem to NOW be declining. - "Worldwide Adherents of ALL Religions by Six Continental Areas, Mid-1995" Encyclopedia Britannica.

A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most DISTRUSTED of ALL the world's minorities.

Atheists were more distrusted than Muslims, recent immigrants, homosexuals and lesbians.

Many of the respondents associated atheism with immorality - including criminal behavior, extreme materialism and elitism.

"Atheists identified as America's most distrusted minority according to the U of M study" - Univ. of Minn. News.

Fair or unfair - the vast majority of America views you like this...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dd6088af5a3b.jpg[/atsimg]

It seems the poor atheist for all of his bloviating and continual insistence of how extremely intelligent he is... Is seen by the vast majority of America as the most distrusted, dishonest, disprespected and immorally inclined people group in the world.

On top of that his numbers are shrinking and his influence is waning. It truly is the twilight of atheism. The sun is setting on the one... that God calls ... A FOOL

"The fool has said in his heart 'there is no God'." Psalm 14

"For a little while they are exalted and then they are gone." Job 24:24

Watch ^^^

edit on 14-9-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

Hey look everyone it's a pro God againts non believers bash again! well there's something new!

Now get ready for this. The reason most of humanity believes in some form of religion is because way back when humans numbered in the tens of thousand the concept of a spirituality developed. You might not have looked back that far as it's way more than 6000 years its more like 60-70 thousand. Anyway the numbers were small when the concept developed but of course have grown with the population. Basic abstract thought got it going. thank the Mother earth for evolution wouldn't you agree?

Atheism is looking like a bright beautiful sun high in the sky from where I'm sitting.
edit on 14-9-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

reply to post by IAMIAM

But atheist's aren't made, they are conditioned (mostly with secular brainwashing). Considering everyone has the natural instincts that there is a higher power then themselves, some just fail to realize this higher power is the God of the bible.
edit on 14-9-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

funny because i was raised a christian..once i was able to determine my own fate...and observing the "christians" around me and their text, i became an atheist...so religion made me an atheist, specifically, christianity.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

Not looking to expound on the whole debate here...but just wanted to reiterate that the Hebrew word used in the scripture meant "flying creature" and not bird.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

The op is nothing but logical fallacy.
This is no better than saying that we should all listen to kesha because she is the most popular musician.
(Or whatever vapid bimbo is popular now, I have no patience for pop culture.)
edit on 14-9-2011 by mamaloney because: Forgotten parentheses.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

From reading your past posts on the subject I honestly thought you were above making such a blanket statement presented as fact instead of an opinion.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I'm an Atheists, so sue me, I honestly don't care when any religious person thinks of me and to them who choose to believe in a higher power, good for them, again, I don't care. To each their own I say. Don't bible thump me and I won't ridicule you, it's really that simple.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bogomil

Originally posted by CaDreamer

so an omnipotent all seeing all knowing god didn't know what he was doing? or didn't know how what he was doing would develop? that contradicts everything in the bible.

god never says oops i didn't mean for that to happen just ignore it. everything that has happened on this earth from the creation of it, according to the bible, is known to god.
do you believe in an omnipotent omnipresent god? by that statement i would have to conclude, no.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

So how come a child growing up in a atheist family is MUCH more likely to become atheist then??
Same thing with religions.. If you grew up in a muslim family in middle east, then you would nearly for sure not be christian today.

And btw christians that behave like you are the biggest hypocrites of all. You complain about atheists constantly bashing religion, but yet people like you seems to do this every day against atheists or religions you disagree with.

And btw.. I was one of the few lucky ones that did not have any parents press their beliefs on me. I did not know exactly what they believed before i asked them as a adult, and yet i was an atheist already from childhood.

But go ahead turn your logic center off and go back to believing in your fantasy god like you do best.

edit on 14-9-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
wow - an entire OP consisting of ad hom attacks and illogical supossitions - lets respond

A favorite saying of the atheist is that atheism is the most NATURAL state of man.

yes - atheism is natural - and i can be seen in the way that increasingly comples civilizations and societies create increasing complexity of religious belief

look at indigenous tribes around the world - theu are predominiantly anninists - it is complex societies who have created the burdens of religion

They claim that all people are "born" atheists and that religion is merely taught or imposed.

yes - religion is taught - human babies have no apriori knowledge of religion - it is always taught to them - and as you said it - yes imposed

Apparently - our "intelligent" atheist friends have not thought that logic through very well.

au-contraire , unless you can show how babies who have not been exposed to religious beliefs - create thier own - its your logic that is lacking

Since the vast majority of the world's population is "religious" and believes in "God" - then obviously many more have left atheism to become religious - than the other way around.

so thats why church attendence is plummeting in most northern european states , and its mainly adults who have regected religion - who turn to atheism

By the atheist's own admission they have lost multiplied billions to religion and God!

as stated above i prefer stolen to lost , as religios belief and conformity is routinly forced on children - who as a blank canvas - simply lap it up

Consider the following...
not without checkable citations to support your claims

So a full 97-98% of the world's population are believers of some sort as opposed to about only 2% claiming to be atheists.

" claiming to be atheists " - do you honestly believe that all self identifying theists really believe - or are just ` paying lipservice ?

hint the claims of your survey - is the evidence why a person - when asked would claim to be a theist .

Could it really be that only 2% of 6 BILLION people - have the truth while the remaining 5 billion 850 million people have it all wrong? Gee - what are the odds of THAT?

the truth is not a statistical probability

you blithley ignore the inconvenient fact that most religions worship different gods , and teach mutualy exclusive doctrines , in the eyes of religious adherents , only a maximum of 1.6 billion [ the rest of thier religion ] can be rigt - the other 4.4 billion [ or more ] are wrong

The ARROGANCE of the pitiful atheist is amazing.

quoted for the irony value , i make the assumption from your avatar and post history that you are christian - you might wish to actually re-study some of your religions teachings on humility , and compassion

A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most DISTRUSTED of ALL the world's minorities.

first i would like to see the demographics of this poll - lets face it - if you cherry pick respondants you can get whatever result you want

"The fool has said in his heart 'there is no God'." Psalm 14

what exquisitely predictable circular logic - using the claims of the bible as a reason to embrace theism

"For a little while they are exalted and then they are gone." Job 24:24

holy quote mining - wholley out of context , is that what religion teaches you to do ? or just your own initative ??

you made an attack eralier about people " claiming " to be athiests - so this prompts a direct question - is the disengenuous quote mining you engage in sanctioed by your religion - or are you just claiming to be an adherent ?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

But atheist's aren't made, they are conditioned (mostly with secular brainwashing). Considering everyone has the natural instincts that there is a higher power then themselves, some just fail to realize this higher power is the God of the bible.

Are we really gonna debate semantics my friend? Atheists ARE made. Christians ARE made. Muslims ARE made. Everyone IS made. Isn't that what your Bible says?

I seem to recall it saying something along the lines of "So God created MAN in his image." By all means correct me if I am wrong.

What you call conditioning is merely elevating your own life experiences over another's as if the life you have been given and it's experiences are some how greater. This is not so my friend. Your experience, your life is no greater than the lowest among us, nor lower than the most exhalted. This includes the most unbelieving among us.

You should be aware of this my friend knowing you are the RevelationGeneration.

When you stop looking down on others for their points of view, and instead look them in the eye with equality, when you open your heart to men and women of all opinions, not in search of flaws by which to force your own view in, but as a means to come to an understanding of their own, then you will know the grace of God, for his grace is love, and love is understanding.

I am sorry you have been conditioned so as to not see this obvious truth. No man can tell another what is right or wrong in this world, for no man has lived the life of another. The best we can do is struggle to understand, love from the heart, and hope that God's grace THROUGH us will manifest his presence in the lives of others.

Be a good Ambassador of your beliefs, and others will see your light. Fail in that, and you will be counted among the workers of iniquities.

With Love,

Your Brother

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join