It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun is going down on Atheism

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Actually it's on the rise and I say this as a believer, the last 10 years has seen an explosion of Atheism, some even link it to 9/11. As the modern generation had their own "why did God let this happen moment" putting people on a path of disbelief. The fact is the statistics show at least a double digit increase in proclaimed atheists in the last decade.

The Sun will set on this mindset, but God will bring it down on them, but don't delude yourself they are increasing and this will have a role in the decline of organized religion in the near future.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Annee

it doesn't matter what you call it.

YES it does.

You can speak for yourself. You do not speak for me.

You can apply a label to whatever you want. You will not apply a label for me.

I do not worship a deity. And I do not worship an energy that evolved. It is energy. It is not anything else.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

reply to post by David291

"they"? "they who?"

stereotyping? not sure how much you can expect from people. i mean, afterall, they are still just like you..human. only difference is, christians believe following the teachings of jesus rather someone else, like buddha or darwin, is important on an eternal scale. and because we believe that, we are sometimes a bit
over zealous about it. but examples where folks have hopped off the deep end and started killing people over it,
you know it has nothing to do with the teachings of jesus, and certainly isn't his fault. otherwise we could say that any time an atheist does something wrong it's darwin's fault and any time a buddhist does something wrong, it's buddha's fault, when in fact, it's the individual who did it that's to blame.
edit on 15-9-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

obviously the person who did it is the to blame, that's not the problem here. the problem people doing it in the name of their religion which many do. Crusades and the pope is an example to be honest, the holiest man on the planet "apparently" and he can do such a thing as the crusade all in the name of God? No thank you.

Plus it doesn't help how close minded most religous people are, there is no proof of God etc yet, they all say that the bible is proof? Could you please point this one out for me, haven't seen an answer yet. If I was to get a book about aliens and claim that it is absolute proof I would be labeled as a nut, a crazy person that needs a doctor. Why an earth is this subject any different? Cause an old book said so?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

YES it does.

allow me to rephrase: that's the point i was trying to make, because you asked for an example. and in the example, that's what THEY called it, and i was explaining how this all ties into science. not sure why you're upset about that since it wasn't an argument over what YOU called it, it was an example where THE TEXT called it that.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It is said Jesus came to bring peace and happiness for all on earth...
Thor came down to kill Ice Demons...
I don't see any Ice Demons.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

YES it does.

allow me to rephrase: that's the point i was trying to make, because you asked for an example. and in the example, that's what THEY called it, and i was explaining how this all ties into science. not sure why you're upset about that since it wasn't an argument over what YOU called it, it was an example where THE TEXT called it that.

OK.

The reason I am so clear on this is - - - because I've had these discussions before.

If you state you support a consciousness - - Believers insist you are a God believer. That you can't separate consciousness from God.

YES you can.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I know you are specifically noting 9/11 and the last 10 years but I just wanna elaborate a bit on this subject:
I've always seemed to have an issue with many of the people I and others hear about who denounce their beliefs of their God due to a tragic or unfortunate event that has afflicted them personally. "Everything is fine and dandy with the world...God is good (until something happens to me)". Look at the Bible, look at our history...look at present times. Disastrous things, awful awful things happen every day to people all over the world. I find it rather arrogant and ignorant to ignore the implications that these things happen to all kinds of people without prejudice - until they hit close to home and THEN curse their God or excommunicate "Him". Were they really "true" true believers in the first place? Because, it comes off as if they thought their status were some sort of force field. When I held on to faith, it never spawned the notion of invincibility in me. It's the notion, the concept that this happens that bothers me... not the people who feel this way. People go through the motions, understandable. The notion that one convinces themselves to be exempt from disaster due to their beliefs is a nice thought, yet an unrealistic one. One berates or denies God -for taking a loved one away, but one praises God for the strength to carry on. Sounds dysfunctional to me. I know faith is a cornerstone for many people, and a very positive thing for many people... I wouldn't bring this sort of thing up with a grieving Christian or anything, just my sentiments on a specific process.

edit on 15-9-2011 by BernardShakey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

how do you prove a thing is accurate without using it in example? like, the creation of the galaxies thing, based on the original hebrew, says

There are NO original writings. What you have are copies of copies of copies, etc. Who knows how much these copies have changed and/or been edited over the ages? How can you trust any of it?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

entirely possible it was the first known example of a taser, just a really big one.

I have heard this too, but I've also heard it may have somehow been used as a transmitter/receiver as well.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
Intelligence has nothing to do with being atheist, being an atheist is simply a lack of a moral compass.

You think you can do what you want in this life and be criminals.

Seriously? You be trollin?

I agree that intelligence has nothing to do with being an atheist, but we lack a moral compass? Wow, I suppose I should go murder someone, or give a little girl a good raping.

Is believing in god the only thing holding you back from going crazy on people? If so, please keep believing my friend. Wait, now I remember reading in one of your posts that you didn't become christian until you were 20 years old. How many people did you rape and murder before then? What kind of things did you steal? Were you a criminal? How many days did you spend in jail before receiving Jesus?

Do you think people of other religions have a moral compass? How did they get that moral compass if it didn't come from your god? Is it ok to believe in their god instead?

edit on 15-9-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

how do you prove a thing is accurate without using it in example? like, the creation of the galaxies thing, based on the original hebrew, says

There are NO original writings. What you have are copies of copies of copies, etc. Who knows how much these copies have changed and/or been edited over the ages? How can you trust any of it?

(above pop secret lol cute.)

perhaps not, but the original hebrew text from which the greek, latin and english (not to mention about 40 others) were translated, is the most reliable version we have available to us from that particular part of ancient human history. it is the text least likely to contain errors as regards what the ancient hebrews, egyptians and other mesopotamians, saw, heard, and believed.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BernardShakey
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I know you are specifically noting 9/11 and the last 10 years but I just wanna elaborate a bit on this subject:
I've always seemed to have an issue with many of the people I and others hear about who denounce their beliefs of their God due to a tragic or unfortunate event that has afflicted them personally.

So do I.

Being mad at God or denouncing a church because of something you think they did to you - - - is not what I consider valid reason to be Atheist.

Many Atheists actually become so because of their search for god. For me - Atheism is the result of truth found in my 60+ year search.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

it is the text least likely to contain errors as regards what the ancient hebrews, egyptians and other mesopotamians, saw, heard, and believed.

Sure, but there's no way of knowing if that text is accurate. There is no telling how many people have had their hands on those writings, and changed, embellished, added to, and/or taken from those writings which you call the "original hebrew writings".

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Many Atheists actually become so because of their search for god. For me - Atheism is the result of truth found in my 60+ year search.

Holy smokes, how old are you? 80ish?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinitecuriosity
reply to post by undo

Dear,

The problem I have is:
Everybody who is a Christian seems to forget the old testament with all its killings, rapes and genocides and they all need to find comfort in Jesus who is only trying to straiten things up..

Trying to let everybody forget, what his father did before him..Every believer seems to, rather talk about the good and quickly forget the bad and the ugly.

Which does not differ a lot from the three nasty men mentioned a while ago. They all spoke about the good they did and what good was about to happen for the future, trying to cover-up all the murders and killings of the people who thought differently.

Where is the difference? Even a killer can love, but that doesn't make him a good man.

well your response is predicated on the assumption that i personally hold the same exact beliefs regarding who yehovah was at any given time, in the OT (old testament) or NT (new testament) as the rest of christianity. although i may hold several beliefs in common with them, i think the mistranslation of the original hebrew into greek, latin and english, have done the story disservice. allow me to explain:

1. there's evidence the translators confused words applied to pharaoh specificially, with god in the OT, particularly during the time of abraham.

2. there's evidence that god's changing personality is actually a war between two different yehovahs, enlil and enki. the story goes that enki created humans and enlil didn't like the result. so when yehovah acts like he cares about the human race, it's their creator enki, and when he's in judgement mode (which i call "Accuser" mode) that's enlil. for further information on this topic (if you don't already know about it) read the earth chronicles by zecharia sitchin.

3. there's heaps of evidence that there was a divine council, and they were all interacting with humans in the OT. and the translators had a hard time separating out the events from one another, primarily because they assumed when the text said elohiym, that it meant yehovah exclusively, which is definitely not the case, as there are many many examples where angels were also called elohiym, the dearly departed were called elohiym, and etc.

so.....yeah. depends on the accuracy of the translation

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
p.s. and i don't mean bene elohiym, i mean straight up, there are places where angels are called "elohiym" with no "bene" before it.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Holy smokes, how old are you? 80ish?

65. I was a very aware child.Had premonitions and OBEs since birth.

My gramma tried to make me Catholic. She dragged me to church with her every chance she could. At 5 years old - - - I turned to her and asked (while envisioning sitting outside under a tree discussing philosophy) - - - does God really need all this? This show?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

it is the text least likely to contain errors as regards what the ancient hebrews, egyptians and other mesopotamians, saw, heard, and believed.

Sure, but there's no way of knowing if that text is accurate. There is no telling how many people have had their hands on those writings, and changed, embellished, added to, and/or taken from those writings which you call the "original hebrew writings".

Plus - - if the "gods" were superior off-planet beings that humans did not understand. Humans would record from their own understanding and knowledge. How do you describe something you have no reality of comparison.

Its like describing color to a blind person.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Plus - - if the "gods" were superior off-planet beings that humans did not understand. Humans would record from their own understanding and knowledge. How do you describe something you have no reality of comparison.

This is true.

Yet, it could also be that natural events occurred, and ancient peoples attributed them to a god's doing. Kind of like when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. Some believers said that god caused that to happen to punish New Orleans for their sins. Also, these people may have embellished these stories over time as they were passed down. There's no way of knowing.

I would imagine that if we could travel back in time and witness these stories ourselves and write down what we saw, the ancient writings would be much different.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

This is true.

Yet, it could also be that natural events occurred, and ancient peoples attributed them to a god's doing.

I would imagine that if we could travel back in time and witness these stories ourselves and write down what we saw, the ancient writings would be much different.

Yes! As I say - "there is truth in the bible - but the bible is not truth". The bible is compiled of only a fraction of selected ancient text.

Even in those ancient texts - - - we have no idea what the truth really is.

A historical novel includes real truths and real historical places/events - - - but is not truth.

There are many planets that formed millions (maybe billions) of years before earth. To deny that life evolved before humans is just plain stupid.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join