It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Allegedly don't pay child support? No trial for you

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Well the ``justice`` system just screwed parents even more.

Unable to pay child support, poor parents land behind bars

Judges can jail alleged defaulters — who are not covered by the presumption of innocence — without a trial

It may not be a crime to be poor, but it can land you behind bars if you also are behind on your child-support payments.

Thousands of so-called “deadbeat” parents are jailed each year in the U.S. after failing to pay court-ordered child support — the vast majority of them for withholding or hiding money out of spite or a feeling that they’ve been unfairly gouged by the courts.

Which is what happens. The child support laws were written in the 1930s. They were never reformed. Women ALWAYS win... I have seen cases when even when the mother was doing drugs she kept the kids.

One father put himself alight a few months back because of that injustice.

But in what might seem like an un-American plot twist from a Charles Dickens’ novel, advocates for the poor say, some parents are wrongly being locked away without any regard for their ability to pay — sometimes without the benefit of legal representation.

‘Debtors’ prisons’?
“Languishing in jail for weeks, months, and sometimes over a year, these parents share one trait … besides their poverty: They went to jail without ever talking to an attorney,” according to the lawsuit filed by the nonprofit Southern Center of Human Rights in Atlanta.

While jailing non-paying parents — the vast majority of them men — does lead to payment in many cases, critics say that it unfairly penalizes poor and unemployed parents who have no ability to pay, even though federal law stipulates that they must have “willfully” violated a court order before being incarcerated.

They compare the plight of such parents to the poor people consigned to infamous “debtors’ prisons” before such institutions were outlawed in the early 1800s.

“I try very carefully not to exaggerate, but I do think that’s an apt comparison,” said Sarah Geraghty, the attorney handling the Georgia case for the Southern Center for Human Rights.

“And I think anyone who went down and watched one of these proceedings would agree with me. … You see a room full of indigent parents — most of them African-American — and you have a judge and attorney general, both of whom are white. The hearings often take only 15 seconds. The judge asks, ‘Do you have any money to pay?’ the person pleads and the judge says, ‘OK you’re going to jail,’” she added.

This is truly sickening. I'm sure BOTH SEXES agree...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
A couple of questions that I am not sure about.

Do women have to pay child support if they don't get the kids?
How often do men win the right to have the kids over the mother?

For clarification I am asking Americans as they have differing states so I would imagine differing laws regarding Child Support.

My only advise to men (because they are always screwed) is much like a prenuptial get a contract signed before you have kids to say if divorce arises (which in America is almost a 100% certainty) both parent get equal access and both contribute the same.

Now I know women and some types of men will say that women might not be able to contribute as they have stayed at home and do not have a job.

Well what I say is that if it were not for the man being out at work the child and the wife would have nothing. No food on the table, no nice house, no private school education for little Jimmy, No nice car etc (same applys if its the women out at work).

WOMEN seem to forget that the man has to sacrifice seeing his kids all day by being at work for the family so that in itself is worth something, that the man quite often has the decency to keep his end of the bargain and let the women stay home all day just looking after the kids and watching day time soaps on TV.

Or stop getting Diverced. If you can't keep a relationship then don't have kids. Unfortunately the traditional marriage has long since been flushed down the drain by the feminist woman...the same women who has stayed home all day to look after the kids and now that you have divorced her demands a huge amount of money while still sitting at home on her butt watching tv and getting larger by the day.

Men choose your wives carefully. Otherwise you will get screwed by her and the law over and over.

until men get the same rights and chance to have the kids as women do, I suggest you have contracts drawn up before you have kids. If she is unwilling to do that, drop her straight away. Women have a cut off limit of around 35 before the chances of having a normal baby are dramatically reduced. We the men need to use this to our advantage and make sure our rights are thought of before we have children with women who can't wait to hit the courts and get a free ride.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Six6Six because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

Jon Cryer has to pay his ex wife even though he has full custody of the child

www.courthousenews.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I too suffer from the court system. Just happened to find a job, finally, during divorce. I let the female judge know it was a contract(temporary) job. High pay...twice my normal pay, ten years later I'm still paying that amount they used the temp. pay number to calculate. The nazi women working for CSS (child support services) encourage me to seek a modification; when they aren't encouraging me to 'seek a career in fast food.
I can't count how many times they've suspended my drivers license. 3 years ago, They convicted me of 'contempt of court' gave me three years probation, and 120 hrs of community service. The judge, I mean the nazi's mouthpeice, ordered that this service be for caltrans, so I could only attend when caltrans was kind enough to have me. generally 3-4 days a week. Took nearly a month to get it done. Court wants me to pay support; but also work for free. When I asked to have my license reinstated, there was much gnashing of teeth. Even after explaining that ALL my work was in the field, that is, away from the office. Really, when was the last time YOU took "Your[/]toilet into the shop for repairs? I have felt the 'economic downturn' first hand. I now owe 100k to CSS, and their monthly take: 10%, that's over 50% of the original monthly payment; and growing. Pretty soon I'll be going to jail...at least I can learn a new trade.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Fathers are treated very unfairly when it comes to child custody and, in many cases, support. I think if more people knew the horror that awaited them they would either stay married or never get married in the first place. It's a total mess. The courts (some of them) are drunk with power. If you can avoid court and go through a mediator- do it. You will save yourself a terrible time. Friends of mine, both good people, actually went to a counselor together while getting their divorce so they could maintain communication for the sake of the kids- it seemed to help a lot. Although it's hell on the adults, it's even worse for the kids. No matter how much they try to hide it, the hate and rage leeches through to the babies.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Wish I could S&F this statement more then once!!

Childsupport is a State and Federal racket on Fathers and Children.

Heres a case that is happening all over the country.

HOUSTON -- A new state law says men no longer have to make child support payments if they discover the child is not theirs, but a Houston man says he still has to pay.

Ray Thomas contacted KHOU 11 News saying he is frustrated because he owes more than $50,000, even though he is not the child’s father.

“They've been taking money out of my income tax -- taking my money and I haven't been able to pay my bills,” Thomas said.

But we learned the new legislation will not help Thomas because his case is old and the courts are looking not backward, but forward. And the attorney general's office confirmed for us that Thomas still must pay $52,000 in back child support -- $13,000 of that is interest.

Houston man forced to pay child support for child that DNA proves isn’t his

Try convincing the mother who has been receiving the checks,to pay it back........................

edit on 14-9-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Everyday this is happening.......................Mothers too!

Child Support reform now!

edit on 14-9-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Child support is one of those things I have a warrant out on me for so I know first hand the injustice.

I will admit that it is willful on my part. I simply will not allow the legal system of this country to have a say so over the issue. It is none of their business.

The status quo will remain the same as long as people continue to sit down and take it.

Miraculously, my child is cared for and I am an integral part of her life without the courts being involved.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
It's funny, I see threads like this all the time. Thing is I have been married TWICE! (NEVER AGAIN AND NO MORE KIDS EVER ,NEVER EVER AGAIN EVER!!!!!) Of those two marriages I have kids, both fathers never ever paid me a dime ,neither one has ever been to jail or bothered at all about child support. Each one has gone on to marry again and produce more children. One is on his fourth marriage.
Anywhom ,I can't help but wonder where all these stories of men having it so bad when it comes to child support are coming from ,also what's THE ENTIRE STORY HU? I have a case with each father thru the Texas Attorney General and Nothing has EVER been been done to cause them ANY trouble or to collect something ,anything to help support these kids. Why is that? I think my type of situation is more the norm than men being tormented and harassed and their lives ruined. These stories are the ones you hear cuz a lot of men don't want to be responsible for their lives and they just want to move on with little to no baggage even if they have more than a freakin Samsonite manufacture warehouse.
For the record ,I do well for me and my kids. I am a dedicated mother ,for all the work I've put into my kids no man could ever put a dollar amount on that ,so screw them, they are the ones missing out. If for some reason I ever got any of the money these men OWE ME, I am gonna get botox and implants with it!!!!!

JUST WANTED to add ,the fathers ,even tho there was no reason in the world to doubt ,had requested DNA tests for the children ,so just so there is no confusion ...... The kids are 100% the children of the respective fathers.

edit on 14/9/2011 by SHABBYCAT because: add some more stuff

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
the system is a joke,i spent 5 years going through the court system for my first child,lucky for me i had the resolve to get through it .....many dont,hence why we hear of men doing crazy things as they have been backed so far into a wall they feel they have nothing left to lose...i tell you from first hand experience its horrible,the whole process leaves you demoralised,takes a massive amount of time and mental effort....and to top it off leaves you broke for your troubles....which then leads you to child support and what a bunch of nazis they are...rant over...

peace

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SHABBYCAT

Sorry to hear about your experiences. It's a relief that you are so strong, that your children will be raised by a powerful woman. Fathers who don't take care of their young will have a special experience just for them when they leave this plane of existence.
Having said that, and truly meaning it- there are grave injustices that happen to parents in child custody and support decisions. There may be some whiny deadbeats in the mix- but I personally know men who aren't just fathers, they are dads- who were brutalized in court.
Much peace and joy to you and your children.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

well this female does. The support system is the worst thief in the bunch.
Most of the funds paid never make it to the children.
Benefits provided by the state are minimal compared to the funds collected (eventually, most of the time) and the overflow of money lines pockets from the locals to the feds.

The system does nothing to improve the lives of the children and it congests the court systems, the jails and the clerk offices.
The system produces nothing.
The system enables the most egregious abuses.
The current system actually punishes those who have paid, more often, than those who have never paid a dime.
There is no such thing as rehabilitating an abusive system, it needs to be eliminated.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Firstly, the most unfair child support scam is when a father finds out he is not the biological parent AFTER been lead to believe the child is biologically his (exemption to those children whom are adopted or concieved through IVF). These father support groups are just not doing enough to get this legislated.

Those who hide cash and not declare all their earnings to avoid paying proper child support is in fact rorting the tax system and child support agencies. That's a criminal act last time I looked. Rorting the tax system alone equates to jail time and/or a large fine. In my opinion if an ex husband is paying both alimony and child support should receive a tax break on a second part time job not exceeding 20 hours on the condition they already work a fulltime job.

Fathers who avoid paying any child support and those who are in arrears of $5k or more should do jail time. By saying that, these prisoners should receive day work release on the condition they are employed....once the child support is paid up and a month in advance, they should be released on condition they don't default again.

Those who have been made redundant through no fault of their own or changes jobs with a decrease in wage/salary since prior accessment should within a reasonable time frame of 14 days reapply to the family courts for an adjustment. Fail to do do is as risk of jail time.

Where an ex spouse has remarried or in a new defacto relationship; the new spouses are not financially responsible for another man's/women's child.

I'm not a fan of alimony and it should be squashed or at last after a period of 2 years from date of separation.

As for joint assets; those belonging to either spouse before marriage should remain theirs and not part of the matrimonial property. Those earned during the marriage should be spilt up 50/50 or in the case where there is children the main custodial parent keeps most furniture. In regards where there is ownership of home is involved, the main custodial parent is made guardian of the said home until the youngest child turns 18 or completes their high school education then is sold and spilt 50/50.

Now...I think I've covered the main bases!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Firstly, the most unfair child support scam is when a father finds out he is not the biological parent AFTER been lead to believe the child is biologically his (exemption to those children whom are adopted or concieved through IVF). These father support groups are just not doing enough to get this legislated.

Even worse : I've seen a case where a woman did a blowjob... then kept the semen... and made herself pregnant with it... then the guy had to pay child support.

I mean come on. The whole system needs to be fixed.

reply to post by SHABBYCAT

Congratulations to you.
That's what the world need is exactly that, dedicated mothers who love their kids... I know there's already a LOT of them around, but we always need more.

And just my personal experience, my father in law have been paying child support to his ex-wife for 15 years... and guess what, the kids have not lived in her house (yes she has a house and a nice one at that) for at least 10 years... and he still has to pay for her... and will be forced to do so for years to come.

She doesn't work, she just collects child support and welfare. She's a total leech.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Oh yes, I remember you were saying quite some months back and if I recall I told you it was cob wollaps!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by fetidchimp
reply to post by Six6Six

Jon Cryer has to pay his ex wife even though he has full custody of the child

www.courthousenews.com...

That is ludicrous. Is there no justice for men. I feel for the hard working American man who want nothing but to raise his child in some resemblance of normality.

And yet their is a women's rights movement BUT no male right movement. It is always the wrong people who get screwed. Yes I said it..Men always get screwed. Its a blinding mist that women have had it hard and need the protection of a set of rights for their sex.

The complainers always get what they want.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
after watching that fox video one cant but be amazed at how low the us system and mentality has gone, 18k a year , i mean are you guys even for real , not to mention a fellow who makes 5+k a month cries about having to pay 1/5 of that and still lives with his parents , darwin awards uber alles ,

no wonder you guys live in a sinking ship ,

with 5 k a month i could easily build a new house and buy a new car and still have over for my childs university fund and child support and still be binge drinking everyday at the local sinkhole and smoke 3 packs a day and eat all the fatty organic meat i want and still have money over heck i could even throw all the spare coins i get over from drinking and smoking at random people i see,

5k a month ,

shame on you , shame , id suggest start a petition for that fellow to grow a pair and a second one for his ex to get a job and stop leeching but then again its fox and their target audience is not me,

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join