It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Luke, Come to the Darkside(que: deep breathing)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
This is just a quick thread about something that made me stop and think for just a moment and I thought I would share this thought with you. It is a little off from my normal post, as those of you who have read my posts before will know, as it is a little more informal, lighthearted, and conversationy(is that a word? Probably not, but hey).

I just finished watching a movie called "Lemonade Mouth" by Walt Disney. It was a pretty good movie if you like Teen band music inspirational stories but that is not really the point. For so long I have have seen the media and movies directing society through the guidance of the powers that be. Giving us subliminal messages through symbols and quick flashes, misdirection, and hardening us to the horrors of the world we live in. They have directed our thoughts as to what is acceptable and what is shunned, depending on the generation we are in and what is happening in the world at the time, regardless of the genre.

We all have our opinions of Hollywood and I do not wish to get into that right now, but what I noticed is that most of the movies that become popular are the ones that go against the grain of society. It is the rebel that we root for, it is the rebel that has the lead role. It is the ones who go against conformity and cut their own path.

It is this realization that has me asking questions this evening and I thought I would like to hear(read) your opinions on the matter. Those questions are:
    Is it that they are taunting us?
    Is it it that they are challenging us?
    Is it that they are daring us?
    Is it that they are telling us to stand up and fight against conformity?

The popular sayings that come to mind, at least in this generation, are "Question Authority", "Be Yourself", "Stand Up for What You Believe In", Don't Worry Be Happy, etc.

Okay, so the last one does not fit but it sounded good, lol. The point is, every where we turn, we are told to be the rebel, but are cut down, jailed and ostracized for it. It is almost like they are telling us to stand up against them/challenge them, but no one is listening, no one is taking the challenge. Is it reverse-psychology? Is it a play on our desires knowing we will not act?

Okay so, I said this was going to be a quick thread and I got a little long in the fingers, so I will leave it here. I...oh s...oops.. I spilled my coffee. Anyway, I look forward to hearing(seeing/reading) your opinions.

Have a great morning/day/evening/night/et cetera et cetera et cetera (The King and I, for those that remember).

Agarta

[Starts off strong and fades out to not comprehensible] Man that hurt, I cant believe I did.....[end thread]
edit on 13-9-2011 by Agarta because: I made a REALLY silly spelling mistake.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
the need to rebel against a society that is not natural, IS natural.

one of the few easy ways for an "evil overlord" to deal with that need in its subjects is to show fake people rebelling in fake ways on the brainwashing box that the subjects have put in their own homes.

there is no need to be a rebel when you can sit in front of a bright glowing box, turn off your brain, and live vicariously and safely through the fake people on the screen.

and the violent reaction the evil overlord displays to any REAL rebels, is enough to keep you at home, glued to the screen.. pretending to live.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

Good reply. Thank You.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I personally believe that the dark side is like a double sided coin. No matter how you flip and spin you will always end up harming people. You would really not like that sort of thing on your conscience when the unfortunate day comes.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I also enjoyed 'lemonade mouth', my daughter must have seen it 15 times by now

recently I've been wondering the same about the certain msg a movie gives and how it will or could impact my teenage daughter... maybe I'm now thinking this way because I am a mother of a teenager and being over concerned once again, lol.

But then again, looking back to the popular movies from the 80ties and 90ties... they weren't so much different, and the majority of teens may have dreamed of becoming the rebel from the movie, but most didn't act on it.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Very thought provoking questions, Agarta.

Whether my ramblings are based in reality, or they are a delusional reaction to a bad ham sandwich consumed during my last Disney film viewing I can’t quite say.
Either way, great topic.

Overall, It is my gut reaction (no pun intended) that most of these films, especially when aimed at the younger set, ultimately aim to keep them stationary right where they are. The plots reach out through the theme of rebellion to reach kids, but then take them for a distracting ride and dump them right back where they started.

Through so many of these plots, the rebellion, urge to create, break out, etc. causes some type of societal discomfort - with parents, peers, etc. But as it is usually the protagonist, the story is told so we relate to them. So far so good, acceptance of self is great. However, then the plot usually goes to some outside force which comes in from out of nowhere unexpectedly and facilitates the desired transformation. The forces of restriction are overcome, but usually not in such a way as to actually encourage exploration and expression, but instead reinforce that a life raft will come from others. Probably part and parcel of our immediate gratification culture, but there nontheless. And in more cases than not, the end result looks a lot like the original setting, but with happiness and acceptance restored - and everybody settled back into the vanilla landscape.

Whether this is an intentional influence to guide culture or merely a reflection of it is an interesting question. I use to believe it was all reflection - yet I have come to appreciate the extent and lengths that some of the very few and powerful with lower intentions go to in order to keep up a relatively quiet populace. There are exceptions, of course, but I rarely see those films in mainstream release, no less with the scope of marketing that the blockbuster kiddie films receive.

edit on 9/14/2011 by Open2Truth because: because I never seem to get it right the first time.

edit on 9/14/2011 by Open2Truth because: because I never seem to get it right the first time.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

It's that things have spun far too out of control, I think. Personally, I view technology as a good thing, but I think that we've got people that use it in very bad ways sometimes. And that's just the start.

But, this, friends and neighbors, is by someone who hates vacuums and is suspicious of On-Star.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
All Movies and Music have have everyone thinking a certain way, that is the goal of the government. And I mean ALL.

new topics

top topics

join