It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At what point does a "Noob" cease being a noob...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by Mouldilocks

When they stop gettin pwned.

Hehe

Not sure I fully understand the whole "pwned" thing.

From what I can gather it's a widely accepted version of owned resulting from a common typo.

At the risk of cementing myself in Noobdom for infinty...what exactly does it mean to get owned?

Thanks for posting

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It shouldn't matter how many posts/stars you have. Everyone joined ATS searching for answers. The fact that nothing is certain in this world means no one really has answers, thus making everyone a 'noob'.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

This can be your best friend

pwned
A corruption of the word "Owned." This originated in an online game called Warcraft, where a map designer misspelled "owned." When the computer beat a player, it was supposed to say, so-and-so "has been owned."

Instead, it said, so-and-so "has been pwned."

It basically means "to own" or to be dominated by an opponent or situation, especially by some god-like or computer-like force.
"Man, I rock at my job, but I still got a bad evaluation. I was pwned."

OR

"That team totally pwned us."

edit on 13-9-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
It shouldn't matter how many posts/stars you have. Everyone joined ATS searching for answers. The fact that nothing is certain in this world means no one really has answers, thus making everyone a 'noob'.

Splendid response, hobo!

BUT...is it not possible that some people joined ATS to provide answers?

Thanks for contributing

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

This can be your best friend

Thanks for the heads up

pwned

It basically means "to own" or to be dominated by

Then I have to admit...I like to be the one doing the pwning

edit on 13-9-2011 by Mouldilocks because: didn't look right

edit on 13-9-2011 by Mouldilocks because: grr

edit on 13-9-2011 by Mouldilocks because: 3rd time lucky?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
My teenagers define pwned as being undutifully, unequivocally shown up...
Owned in the most severe and permanent sense of the word.
It's like punked + owned = pwned

Under 1000 posts huh? Guess I'm still a "noob" too then

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Invariance

Thanks for your input, Invariance

And welcome to Mouldi's Noob club (if you like!) - current population - pwned!

How does one pronounce pwned? Much as I try it just doesn't easily roll off the tongue...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

My kids pronounce it p + owned, I don't know if it's correct... but it's teenspeak........

Y'know

edit on 14-9-2011 by Invariance because: punctuation

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I gave you the proper definition for it.

I pronounce it personally as pawned, no idea what the correct pronunciation is, I usually just type it.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
When I first joined ATS, whenever I would make a comment, all these rules and admonitions would appear above the comment box. After I reached my 500th post, those messages disappeared and now I get: "You are an experienced contributor to ATS. Please be an example for our newer members and make every post matter. "

So based on this, ATS software at least seems to consider you an "experienced contributor" after 500 posts...for what its worth...

There is also a school of thought that would claim that high post counts are signs of people lacking "real lives" and not something to be envied...I sorta resemble that remark, heh-heh...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Hi Partygirl, thanks for your input

Yeah I see those rules and admonitions right now! They do make a valid point, I think it's good to have the text there as a point of reference...at least for those that are fresh meat!

That said;

'No 1-Liners: Please do not create minimal "me too," "I agree," or similar very-short replies. (Adding "second line" to short comments doesn't count.) '

We all know how often we see this!

Perhaps reinstating the rules and admonitions would be beneficial for some more seasoned members! (not my personal viewpoint, just an observation)

Oh well, onwards and upwards for me...now I know the ATS software considers me as valued and contributing after 500...I better get to it....and in doing so I will remember this...

'BEFORE YOU REPLY, make every post matter.'

edit on 14-9-2011 by Mouldilocks because: spells

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Powned v Pawned...

Could it not then also be pronounced Pewned, Piwned and Puwned?! Maybe even Pywned?

In any case...I can't get my tongue twisted round and of them!

(Am I posting off topic in my own thread? Am I disregarding posting rules? Am I at risk of being moderated? :wow

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mouldilocks

Thanks for your input, Invariance

And welcome to Mouldi's Noob club (if you like!) - current population - pwned!

How does one pronounce pwned? Much as I try it just doesn't easily roll off the tongue...

It's pronounced "poned", long o. Rhymes with stoned, de-boned, loaned, etc.

I only know this by having a teenager playing xbox live.

The definition is correct, and it means much the same as "tea-bagging". There's a completely unique culture hidden on the internet.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The transition is around 500 posts, however, being a "noob" is actually a state of mind. When you realize that you are posting serious content, staying within topic the best you can, and actually reading posts before commenting, you wake up one day to see how your subscriptions have updated overnight, and when going back to read others thoughts you magically think to yourself, "I have a good grasp of how this works."

There's no set point when anyone makes that transition.

There are still people here who don't know or understand the rules. Thank god for the Mods.

Another key point is helping others here. It's the unspoken rule.

We may be a bunch of crazy conspiracy theorists, but we are our own little family. We usually have no problem banding together to solve and debunk many topics.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Hi Druid42, thanks for giving me your take on this.

Even since this I started this thread I would say that - I hope - my transition has begun. I've certainly tried to be helpful (not on the technical side, still too green for that) and given a considered response after reading and contemplating a thread by another member.

Being a Noob is a state of mind? Then I'm no Noob! As I previously stated, I'm "fresh meat"!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

when you ask the right questions and your replys are full of useful information, and not to opinionated on some subjuct matters

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bone13

Thanks for sharing your take on this subject, bone13.

I think opinion is bound to account for a large proportion of all posts and threads. Whether based in fact or not, All people have them and the very act of posting is in itself an expression of opinion.

I do understand the point you make though, and gratefully receive your input

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
if you have to ask, youre still a noob.
ps. like the willow and the wisp avatar.

edit on 17-9-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

Hi neonitus, thanks for your input

Originally posted by jude11

At what point does a "Noob" cease being a noob?

When you don't have to ask that question anymore...

Kidding of course.

jude11 thought the same as you!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
never assume your beneath anyone else on here

we are all people and we are all equal however there are alot of people who like to elevate themselves

the bottom line is say your piece about anything you want how often or however little you want.

thats what i think.

ps stars and flags do not always reflect content always something to keep in mind
edit on 17-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join