It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question for all Christians, from a fellow Christian

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
There is a scripture in the Old Testament, Book of Malachi, chapter 4, verses 5 and 6

5 ¶Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: 6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Does anyone know if Elijah has returned, and if so, when and where?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MitchL61

It dosent seem as yet as my kids are still kids and I have issues with them as well ....peace

oops second

edit on 13-9-2011 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Kind of off topic, but why would the return of the lord be a dreadful day?

I am NOT a Christian, but that kind of disturbs me. I though your god was a friendly man who loves everyone?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
so, a bit off topic, but still an answer.

Ive always been of the opinion that If you read and are aware of prophecy, then when it comes to pass it will be evident.

I know god is about faith, but Im of the opinion that when he prophesies somthing to happen, he does it in a way that it will be recognizable to those who "have an ear to hear" or "have and eye to see".

but who know, I could be wrong.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I think these prophecies like this are better just dropped.
Jesus dealt with it, explained it as over and done so any sort of wondering about a future fulfillment comes from antichrist.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Prophecy is a complicated thing. The Jews of the 1rst century thought they had all the prophecies "figured out". Woopsa daisy on the whole killing the messiah thingy. So when coming to a conclusion on a bible prophecy just remember that the super religious and brightest minds of Jesus day got it wrong.

Having theories on prophecy is fine being dogmatic and coming out with new denomination based on your interpretation of a prophecy is craptastic. Its a part of the human condition though. Funny thing about Christians sad to say is all too often when there is a Christian firing squad its in a circle with a brother in the middle.

To the point of the OP, isnt that in relation to John the Baptist coming in the spirit of Elijah?

Google some commentaries see what they have to say. Joe Vernon Megee/Chuck Missler for some contemporary ones however always good to go back to early church fathers/ to see how it was viewed as well.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I don't know about Elijah the Prophet but I do know this:

Originally posted by DaemusAlphae

Kind of off topic, but why would the return of the lord be a dreadful day?

I am NOT a Christian, but that kind of disturbs me. I though your god was a friendly man who loves everyone?

John 3:16 and 17 highlight Jesus' first coming:

16"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. 21But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God."

notice in 17 it says that he did not come condemn. Here are the numerous definitions which go with the word in the original text:

to separate, put asunder, to pick out, select, choose to approve, esteem, to prefer to be of opinion, deem, think, to be of opinion to determine, resolve, decree to judge to pronounce an opinion concerning right and wrong to be judged, i.e. summoned to trial that one's case may be examined and judgment passed upon it to pronounce judgment, to subject to censure of those who act the part of judges or arbiters in matters of common life, or pass judgment on the deeds and words of others to rule, govern to preside over with the power of giving judicial decisions, because it was the prerogative of kings and rulers to pass judgment to contend together, of warriors and combatants to dispute in a forensic sense to go to law, have suit at law

This is the invitation to accept the work of the cross. The spilling of His blood for our sins allows us to be forgiven. If you don't accept what He did, your not covered by the blood.

When He comes again, it will be a dreadful day because He will destroy all sin in the world...If you haven't accepted the forgiveness He offers to you free through the blood of His sacrifice, then your sin remains... that means you will be destroyed. People often ask why God doesn't just destroy all the evil in the earth not considering that they too would be destroyed if they didn't accept the work of the cross.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish , but that all should come to repentance.

edit on 2011/9/13 by michaelwpayton because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Hard to tell. The first time Christ came, John the Baptist was Elijah. He was not recognized by the Jewish people. This old man may have been him and is possibly unnoticed again. Again, it is hard to tell. If you watch the video, Rabbi Kediri predicts that when Ariel Sharon dies, the Messiah will return. He names the Messiah as Yeshua (Jesus). So far, the Hebrew community has not noticed this much.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

Jesus dealt with it, explained it as over and done so any sort of wondering about a future fulfillment comes from antichrist.

Can you provide biblical quotes to back up this claim?

Matthew 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Matthew 5:18
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DaemusAlphae

I'd say that if He is the one responsible for giving you the gift of life, it's well within his right to expect what he wants.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

Yeah but that is what YOU believe. Not of that has been proven.. How can you take those words as truth especially when things have been taken out out of the bible and put back in BY HUMAN BEINGS (ie: the ROMANS). I simply refuse to blindly believe in a book that has been translated from language to language, which results in lost meanings of words and over all concepts.

That is no different than believing in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

Wanna know something? Everything I know about history is true. Wanna know why? Cuz I read it in my history text book in school. Same argument.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaemusAlphae

Yeah but that is what YOU believe. Not of that has been proven.. How can you take those words as truth especially when things have been taken out out of the bible and put back in BY HUMAN BEINGS (ie: the ROMANS). I simply refuse to blindly believe in a book that has been translated from language to language, which results in lost meanings of words and over all concepts.

That is no different than believing in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

Wanna know something? Everything I know about history is true. Wanna know why? Cuz I read it in my history text book in school. Same argument.

Most of the important stuff in the Bible is written in metaphor, so "the wicked" or whoever wanted to "edit" the book wouldn't really understand what to pull and what to leave.

Also, millions of people for the past 2000 years have not worshipped and built civilizations around the teachings of the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus. Apples and oranges.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Before looking at all the potential possibilities it needs to be determined if his return will be physical or spiritual. The latter opens up just as many possibilities, though I personally don't ever see anyone discuss them.

In the teaching of Nicodemus, Jesus pointed out to him, that he (Nic) had a bit of problem understanding things of the spirit. Jesus tried to explain being born again, to Nic, who was at the time, the teacher of Israel and the guy was a total dummy on things of the spirit.

If the flesh counts for nothing and spirit is everything, then maybe it would be wise to look at your question from a spiritual standpoint.

Being born again is something of the spirit - to be born again, a person must experience the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Scripture says it is Jesus who gives this baptism, therefore, if John the Baptist is the forerunner and propchey states Elijah will also come - then what everyone should really be looking for are two different but similar things of the spirit, that are powerful enough to "turn the hearts of the fathers to their children" and the "hearts of children to their fathers."

I've had experiences and I'm pretty sure I know the answers here. I'll see what others offer up for consideration first.

edit on 13-9-2011 by Myrtales Instinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Can you provide biblical quotes to back up this claim?
Which "claim" do you mean.?
You quoted two verses having to do with fulfilling prophecy.
Those will do, to start with.
Jesus put the period on the end of them.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

This claim.

You say he "put the period" on those prophecies, but why would he then follow up by saying this:

18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I mean, that is from the mouth of Jesus.

I submit that people think otherwise so they won't be "burdened" by following the laws of God.

edit on 13-9-2011 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Wait - you are saying it's basically over because he answered a question. Therefore, it is your opinion it's done been answered - more than likely you feel this way because John the Baptist came and was killed. That does not mean, that is all there is to it.

John the baptist is the one who gave the prophecy, that someone would come AFTER him who was way more powerful than he was who baptizes with fire and spirit. Jesus is the one for the last couple thousand years initiating this particular baptism, then why is it impossible for John to proceed him in a spiritual sense?

I thought all things are possible with God?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
As far as i know Elijah already returned in the new testament as John the baptist but people didn't recognize him and he was killed.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

People have a blockage in their mind. Just something I have learned from experience talking about this particular subject. You have it in your head that you want something to be true, and when something else arises which may seem to invalidate your earlier assumption, it is unable to register in your mind. I mean this in a general way, and like I said, I get it from others who ask the exact same thing.
Jesus was talking about his own words. He would say, "others say this, but I say this." or "The Law says this, but I say this." or "Moses said this, but I say this." The Sermon on the Mount was Jesus being the second Moses, so when he said, "these words will not pass away." he meant his own words. You can not show where attached to this saying is anything like, "Moses' words", or "the words of some Old Testament prophet". As for things like "jot or tittle", that was a figure of speech which mean a small part, not that he was inferring that he meant something in scripture. As for "all is completed", that could mean the end of the age.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Any time Jesus ever referenced scripture, what could he possibly have been talking about? Torah, of course, there was nothing else at the time!

I submit that you have this same blockage that you were talking about. Hit me up with some more scripture to back up your position.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join