It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man With Conceal Carry Permit, Defending His Life in Shootout With Robbers, Loses job

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Poor guy, just a law abiding pharmacist DEFENDING his life loses his job? I swear
i had better never get fired for defending my life! I understand it may be company policy not to have weapons at work however I bet hes counting his lucky stars he did this day
I really hope he gets his job back or at least lands on his feet..www.theblaze.com...

edit on 13-9-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Unbelievable. Where were the police? Did the store expect this man to give up his life? Did they expect him to just roll over and accept his fate, so that he didn't break some nonsensical Wallgreens policy?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This is what happens to you when liberals set the agendas. They are too cowardly to defend themselves, so they do not want us to have the ability to do so.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
Poor guy, just a law abiding pharmacist DEFENDING his life loses his job? I swear
i had better never get fired for defending my life! I understand it may be company policy not to have weapons at work however I bet hes counting his lucky stars he did this day
I really hope he gets his job back or at least lands on his feet..www.theblaze.com...

edit on 13-9-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

Screw the company, this guy is better off without them. A perfect example of why police are just there for the cleanup. I hope an upstanding company offers this man a job.

ETA:

Now Hoven is filing a wrongful termination lawsuit, and his lawyer has just released shocking surveillance video from the terrifying exchange. The footage appears to corroborate Hoven’s statements and is likely to play a prominent role in his suit against Walgreens.

I hope they bend over this freedom hating company for everything they can, because they could clearly care less that this man not only saved another employees life, but also saved his own by exercising his rights.

edit on 9/13/2011 by SpaDe_ because: info

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Shame he didn't take down at least one of the robbers.

And you can bet your boots I'd be taking those insensitive clods to court. Don't be surprised, though, when the judge peeks out of their pocket and dismisses the case.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I work in a group where I take care of mentally disabled people. I work overnight hours and am single staffed. I have a concealed carry permit but am not allowed to have any of pistols at work. In case of a robbery at work I have no way to defend the lives of myself and the gentleman who I have been charged with there safety. If I would have a pistol on me anyway, and had to use it, not only would I be fired from my job but they would press criminal charges against me. It is a terrible place to be however at this time I obey there rules.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Two Questions? #1 doesn't OSHA require the employer to provide a safe work place? He should sue the hell out of Wallgreens for not doing so. Shouldn't a pharmacy provide security knowing they a targets of robbery due to drugs.
#2 Isn't it a violation of his civil rights for a company to not allow you to exercise your own right, i.e. to stay alive.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gannicus

They probably arrived in minutes when split seconds mattered...

edit on 13-9-2011 by mandella1099 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Nope. Company rules of employment over-rule your right to carry on-the-job. You can...and be fired for breaking company rules. And he could have been charged with Murder if he'd have killed one of them.

Yes he had a legal right to protect himself, but the company employing him had rules he broke. And that is cause for termination.

You have no right at work to carry your weapon in almost all cases. This is based Im sure on heavy liability insurance in case someone gets killed (either him or the bad guys).

I hope he gets his job back, but I dont think he will, as It would set a precedent for others to start carrying on the job and the insurance rates would quadruple for the stores.

I hope tho he can get some settlement over this... ($$$$$)...at least.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
I work in a group where I take care of mentally disabled people. I work overnight hours and am single staffed. I have a concealed carry permit but am not allowed to have any of pistols at work. In case of a robbery at work I have no way to defend the lives of myself and the gentleman who I have been charged with there safety. If I would have a pistol on me anyway, and had to use it, not only would I be fired from my job but they would press criminal charges against me. It is a terrible place to be however at this time I obey there rules.

Are you worried about someone wanting to steal mentally disabled people?
Is there a cash drawer involved?
If no, I think you are safe to leave the guns at home there, Rambo.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

We carry large amount of drugs in our group homes that would have a high street value as many of them are controlled substances. Group homes have been targeted for this reason alone in the past. Also the our group homes are not "institutions", they are not locked down, there are not well lit and commercial looking, they are just suburban homes in suburban neighborhoods and have no extra layer of security.
edit on 14-9-2011 by wiandiii because: for content

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
If that gun had not jammed there is a good chance this dude would be dead now. Ho had no option but to shoot back as he did not know if the gun would jam again.

On the other hand, he broke companies rules which clearly state "no guns at work".

Did he save the day, his life and possible other lives, and stop the robbery - Yes
Diid he break company rules - Yes

Tough one. I sympathise with him, but this is the sort of mess you get into with liberal gun laws.

Interesting one to follow, the outcome of the court case could be anything as far as I can tell.

top topics

join