It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading man jailed for dead girl 'trolling' insults

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

I know I shouldn't but - when a close relative of mine died because of harassment and bullying, I get a bit defensive.

I'm very sorry to hear that and will admit that the post you were responding to was intended to get people a little mad. I have to dash out for a quick minute but I will read your entire post and respond later. I am sorry if you were offended.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

This isn't a new law he has broken, so before anyone chirps on about the Government trying to stimmy social networking or what have you, bear in mind it has been a criminal offence since 1984 (Telecoms Act 1984) to use offensive or obscene language even on the phone, let alone the intertron, just like it is an offence to do the same in a public place.

You may think it is "Big Brother", but put yourself on the other end of such abuse. I myself used to work in a call centre many years ago and this was one of the first things we learnt. Our customers used to be an irate lot and some would think nothing of swearing, making threats etc. You are well within your rights to not only hang up the call, but you can take their details and report them for the offence.

And before anyone says "It's just words", we had, on more than one occasion, customers come down to our head office to meet Customer Services directly and then proceed to assault members of staff or carry out the threats they had mentioned earlier on the phone.

No sympathy for the plank, I am afraid. I actually live in the same town as he does, he looks familiar actually.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

I know I shouldn't but - when a close relative of mine died because of harassment and bullying, I get a bit defensive.

I'm very sorry to hear that and will admit that the post you were responding to was intended to get people a little mad. I have to dash out for a quick minute but I will read your entire post and respond later. I am sorry if you were offended.

It’s fine. I understand that by going onto the internet I'm going to see far more opinions than if I just spoke to a small group of friends in person. That's what the internet is. A sounding board for anyone who has even the flakiest of network connections. Worldwide.

I'm not angry. I just don't like people who take pleasure in mocking someone who has passed away, like this guy in the UK has done. Why did he deem it necessary? Why does he derive pleasure from this? Lashing out at people he doesn’t even know for some sort of personal satisfaction? That makes no sense. I don't understand his motive at all. It’s hard enough losing someone, but try to imagine what it would be like to see in the news stories about a YouTube video that some stranger has made making a disgusting mockery of a person’s death. Add that to the mourning process and it adds up to a lot of hurt.

There is really no need to cause further suffering to those left behind after a tragedy. Not matter what the initial cause of said tragedy was.

Peace man!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Jailing a troll makes you ... a troll.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Jailing a troll makes you ... a troll.

Now, I don't claim to be an expert but I am a student of humanity. In my limited experience, depraved human beings that debase themselves to trolling are often desperate for some basic human attention. This guy took trolling to an entirely new and crude level. Grief is universal and it is universally rude to harrass the family of the deceased.

Assuming this warped individual goes to "big boy" prison he will get all the attention he could possibly want. I hope they issue him the biggest, burliest homosexual roomate and the slipperiest soap they can find. But maybe I'm being prejudice against trolls.

(A previous post used the word 'depraved'. Excellent choice of discriptive term. Hence the 'gimmick infringement'.)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This is silly, sure what he did was terrible but at most the site in question should have banned him if there were lots of complaints...but getting thrown in jail for making comments about some dead girl? No i will never support such madness.
You do not have right to not be offended, sadly there is an endless line of fools who support this sort of nonsense.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I have to agree with you Domo1, I believe that if we want free speech we have to take the bad with the good. The first thing I did when I read this story (on another news site) was come here to see what ATS had to say about it. Where do we draw the line you ask? That's a great question... I don't believe we should draw the line at all. I love my free speech, and I feel that jailing someone for using theirs is injustice at best, and blasphemy at worst.

P.S. LOL @ your comment about his pic, the same thought went through my head when I saw it too.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae9b38f78b74.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Damn what really gets me is how much that guy looks like a troll, it's uncanny. As far as all the people saying they would just beat the guy down, well that would just get you thrown in jail. I fail to see how that would solve any problems.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
I fail to see how that would solve any problems.

It does.

But you are probably young and raised with the 'zero-tolerance indoctrination'. It has robbed you of your ability to see what is so clear.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Sadly this is the answer to everything in America today. Arrest him throw away the key, more money for the machine!

Seriously what the #ing #? I'm sick of seeing people jailed over obnoxious bullcrap, I for one being a victim of this horrendous system. I was put away for 9months at age 15 for failing a piss test at my probation. Why I was on probation you ask? Some kid broke somebodies air conditioning unit on the side of their house then said to the police that I took part in it, when I had nothing to do with it. So the way the police solved it was we both got charged and I got fined half the costs and put on probation for 3years!

So let me be the first to tell you the justice system is targeting kids and unknowing people! The less you know the more they can get away with. If you don't try and defend your "case" whatever it may be, you're gonna get a hammer to the head. This system has no laws unless you let them know that you know!

And this is why there is so many people locked up these days because people don't have a #ing clue and they end up getting ridiculous sentences for stupid charges!

edit on 14-9-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I'd also like to ask this question.

Should I call the police every time somebody posts offensive comments while I'm browsing the internet? Whatever the case may be, if it hurt my feelings in anyway is this grounds for jail time for the person?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRiPWiRE
I had only just read this on a news site myself. I was horrified to learn the things he had done. Apparently he suffers from Aspergers and has an issue with alcohol. Nonetheless, he is a vile man for doing what he did to those poor families.

There are cases of people committing suicide (such as one of his "targets"), because of internet bullying etc. I can't believe that some in society have sunk so low that they can actually find pleasure in these activities.

I say his sentence isn't long enough.

There are enough methods already in place to prevent Internet bullying.

If people didn't feel the need to create public R.I.P pages to draw attention to horrible things like this, then it would never happen. Get together in a local meeting point and properly sympathize with the people involved.

Social Networking has the power to raise awareness of depression and suicide but instead all we see is the same cyber bullying rubbish over and over.

You can have 20 million people liking a page about goats or about xbox or the common sexist belief that women belong in the kitchen, or you can have everyone aware and reading things like this: www.facebook.com...

Thursday 15 September, 2011 is R U OK?Day. A national day of action that aims to prevent suicide by encouraging Australians to connect with someone they care about and help stop little problems turning into big ones. On that day we want everyone across the country, from all backgrounds and walks of life, to ask family, friends and colleagues: "R U OK?". Because staying connected with others is crucial to our general health and wellbeing. Feelings of isolation and being alone are major contributing factors to depression and social issues that can ultimately result in suicide. Regular, meaningful conversations can protect those we know and love. It's so simple but in the time it takes to have a coffee, you can start a conversation that could change a life.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
For all Americans banging on about how you have free speech, you dont.

Proof.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I always wondered what net trolls look like... he's just as I imagined. A big headed, no-neck weirdo that probably has zero friends.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Wow so they can arrest a guy for posting about dead people but not those religious nuts who picket funerals... Sigh! Where will the madness end...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
Where will the madness end...

Probably when ..

FB bans stupid tribute pages.
Parents stop letting the interwebs babysit their children.
Darwins stop thinking that a bunch of nameless face less losers posting on their useless FB page are real friends.

Guy in the OPs post maybe a troll , but losers that can't or won't set their pages to private deserve all they get . I could go on but what's the point .

I wonder how many hypocrites posted nasty comments about this guy here on ATS and in the media .

edit on 14-9-2011 by DevilsApprentice because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Judge acknowledges trolling hey, I wonder if when reading out the verdict he said "jail FTW".

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
edit because I thought he was Autistic, not Aspergers.....
edit on 14/9/2011 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Burnerz

I agree with what you have said here 100%. I find Facebook groups and the like that are dedicated to deaths and tragedies to be a bit "corny", for want of a better word.

I don't think they do any justice to the person at all. It's no different to posting a flyer up at your local supermarket or something stating the incident has occurred and everyone should "like" this flyer.

It's trashy.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
why should peeps have compassion for people they dont know. Trolling should not be illegal...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join