It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading man jailed for dead girl 'trolling' insults

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Having an environment where anyone can say what they want unfortunately and inevitably leads to extremely horrible comments. Social networking sites themselves have an obligation to protect their users from this sort of offensive material.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Slavich

He is a criminal, what he did is against the law. He probably doesnt even have a job anyway.

So youd rather someone do that and youd have to have a fight than not have them do it at all, that makes no sense.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
reply to post by Domo1

Its happened plenty of times before, they turn up and say youve threatened the president.

Its pretty clear to me he went over the line. In no way is that acceptable behaviour and its certainly offensive and the country is better for not allowing it.

That's fine and dandy. So what happens when you get mad and say some hurtful
Things and you're the one in jail?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Slavich

He is a criminal, what he did is against the law. He probably doesnt even have a job anyway.

So youd rather someone do that and youd have to have a fight than not have them do it at all, that makes no sense.

Having control of my life and freedom DOES make since.

Having someone dictate you and people around you DOESNT make since.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Slavich

That wouldnt happen because theres no way Id go that far.

Theres only been a handful of cases like this and its only in extreme cases.

We dont have free speech and we dont have nutcases like westboro. The US doesnt have free speech and they encourage Westboro thinking it means they keep free speech.

I know which one is better.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Slavich

So you want total anarchy then? No rules at all because thats what you described.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by TRiPWiRE

There are cases of people committing suicide (such as one of his "targets"), because of internet bullying etc.

They win the Darwin Award in my opinion. Getting trolled on the internet? Stop going on the freaking internet.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

So their internet useage should be dictated by bullies? Thats not really very fair. Everyone should be able to use it without some fat idiot posting threats and intimidating.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

reply to post by Slavich

That wouldnt happen because theres no way Id go that far.

Theres only been a handful of cases like this and its only in extreme cases.

We dont have free speech and we dont have nutcases like westboro. The US doesnt have free speech and they encourage Westboro thinking it means they keep free speech.

I know which one is better.

Yea we all like to think of ourselves in a brighter perspective and that we would never do that, basic psychology. Fact of the matter is you could do it and what if you did? People should not be in jail for victimless crimes!!! Who gives the right to take another man's life away? What makes this man's life any less significant then someone else's? Jail ruins lives.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

The burden was on the social networking sites to regulate and control this sort of 'trolling' behaviour and stop it from hurting innocent people. The social networking sites failed to protect their users from the trolls. The social networking sites were either unable or unwilling to help the bereaved family and the other innocent people who were harmed by this person's comments.

As I said before in an environment where people are permitted to say what they want there will always be a minority who abuse this liberty. The burden is on the social networking sites to find a way to prevent people from posting offensive and threatening remarks/material.
edit on 13-9-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Or you could quit being a pussy and not let people's words affect you. We don't need laws and policies to hold our hands.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Wow. He truly, legitimately looks like an actual troll from under a bridge.

edit on 13-9-2011 by RightInTwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Slavich

Victimless crime? Try telling the parents of the child that.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Anarchy would be a step up from the oligarchy we have today. Fact of the matter is, you only need very few laws to have a good society. When you begin to make everything illegal you will create a revolution. Not everyone likes getting bent over by their leaders, maybe you do. As a American, I want my freedom to LIVE my life. What I say shouldn't matter, what I do shouldn't matter. If Im not killing or stealing then what harm could I possibly be doing?

link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

The sites are probably American, he is from the UK.

How is that going to work, what he said is legal under US law but illegal under UK law so the UK justice system is the only way to go.

link   
Is it just me or does that guy look like an actual Troll?

What are we France? They have been pulling crap like this for years.

French law
www.britannica.com...

French defamation laws historically have been more severe. An act of 1881, which inaugurated modern French defamation law, required conspicuous retraction ...

And this will all end in corruption. . . .

The Role Of French Defamation And Privacy Laws In Keeping DSK's 'Secrets'
www.techdirt.com...

However, Adam Gropnik does a nice job pointing out how French defamation and privacy laws are to blame for keeping news reporters from really discussing DSK's questionable activities in the past. In fact, a few years back, DSK made it clear that he would sue anyone who spread "rumors" about his personal life. In conjunction with stories of super injunctions in the UK and Max Mosley's now failed attempt to expand privacy laws in Europe to protect famous people from having their private lives displayed in the newspapers, it begins to raise some serious questions.

Lots of people sympathize with the basic argument that your private life is private, and it seems unfair to have private affairs spread across the news. And yet, if someone really is doing something egregious -- or potentially harmful -- is seeking to gag the press and others from making that information public only giving them cover to progress further and commit potentially heinous acts?

edit on 13-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Slavich

Victimless crime? Try telling the parents of the child that.

Yes cause someone's feelings getting hurt is def worthy of some jail time. Get real dude.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Slavich

You dont have freedom, youve just been told that so much that you have that you believe it.

Go and insult a cop or try flying abroad and see how free you really are.

Edit, forgot about all they need to do is call you a "terrorist" and then they can hold and torture you for as long as they want and you have zero rights. You dont even need to be charged, never mind convicted.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Flyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

The company itself has an obligation to remove offensive content, it is their responsibility to protect users from offensive material.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

So their internet useage should be dictated by bullies? Thats not really very fair. Everyone should be able to use it without some fat idiot posting threats and intimidating.

You said something mean. To jail with you!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Go and insult a cop or try flying abroad and see how free you really are.

Ahem. Really? Flying abroad we don't expect to be able to say what we want, and that sot of undermines your point.

Also you have every right to insult a cop. They can break the law and screw with you, but you are protected in our legal system.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join