It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange sounds heard after earthquakes in West texas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nitro67

WOW that is JUST like it, it even caused a bit of fear in my heart listening to it again, because it took me back to bracing for impact, I had to shut it off, I guess these sounds, whatever they are, will take some getting used to, its something I don't understand so naturally I feared it, but doesn't mean its cause for fear, Just took me by surprise when I heard it, and well you know, living in the DC Metro area you know there is a possibility that one of these days you might just wake up dead lol. There are so many people who want to nuke us, and for good reason although there is no reason to nuke anyone at all ever.

There was an abnormal sort of whistling sound to it too I think.
edit on 9/13/2011 by ISis12RA12ELohim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ISis12RA12ELohim
reply to post by nitro67

WOW that is JUST like it, it even caused a bit of fear in my heart listening to it again, because it took me back to bracing for impact, I had to shut it off, I guess these sounds, whatever they are, will take some getting used to, its something I don't understand so naturally I feared it, but doesn't mean its cause for fear, Just took me by surprise when I heard it, and well you know, living in the DC Metro area you know there is a possibility that one of these days you might just wake up dead lol. There are so many people who want to nuke us, and for good reason although there is no reason to nuke anyone at all ever.

There was an abnormal sort of whistling sound to it too I think.
edit on 9/13/2011 by ISis12RA12ELohim because: (no reason given)

I may just be paranoid from the last quake but should I be preparing for another?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ISis12RA12ELohim

Hang on, does that not sound like a pulse? As in pulse technology?
It builds up and drops down again, as if getting closer and then moving away. Fracking would be a constant amount of explosions yet this is very uniform. The pulse could then interfere with smaller faults and cause them to shift due to resonance frequency? Just my 10c but i think it's possible? Would be interesting if it is the case.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
This is my first post. I was born and raised in NE Arkansas, and I lived through many tremors and two notable temblors.

In my experience, the quakes are accompanied by a resounding boom, usually three in quick succession: "boom..boom BOOM". Then the shaking.

My last quake here was when I was about 17. I was helping to score an AFROTC basketball game when we heard the first boom. I barely had time to turn to my Sarge and mouth, "earthquake!" when the other two booms hit, then the wall behind me seemed to bend inward, and the bounce began. Here, we get the up and down.

We were told there was little damage. However, a street in my town developed a sink hole and a lone house began to crumble in toward it. We'd drive by every Friday to see how it was doing. Then later Tennessee (just across The River) discovered crevices and meandering lines. My mother's house was knocked off the foundation about 1/2 inch. Nothing big, just sloped floors from then on.

I lived my young life at the edge of an AF Base. Sonic booms sound very different. I actually married a B-52 pilot, and I know the difference between a sonic boom and what I grew up with. Restrictions on transonic or supersonic flights were placed in the '60s over populated areas and expanded in the '70s.

Sonic booms sound from the air, earthquake "booms" come at you from the horizon.

Hi, Susan, fellow Arkansan.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

Sonic Boom? No I doubt it. A sonic boom sounds more like the sounds I hear on the siesmos from actual earthquakes.

Earthquakes can be heard coming
They can create very loud rumbles

This bit interests me, coupled with.........

reply to post by MoorfNZ

I can tell you that a big boom before a quake, sometimes accompanying it depending on where the epicentre was in terms of your location, is nothing unusual.

What interests me about both of these statements is that they say the sounds can be heard BEFORE the earthquakes.

Considering how sharp the onset of an earthquake is in terms of the seismic signature I am wondering how this can be. Could, dependent on the distance from the epicentre, the 'sound' of the earth moving reach you before the S wave gets there? Somehow I doubt it as the shock waves from an earthquake move at several km/s

The propagation velocity of the waves depends on density and elasticity of the medium. Velocity tends to increase with depth, and ranges from approximately 2 to 8 km/s in the Earth's crust up to 13 km/s in the deep mantle.

Source: Wikipedia

The speed of sound is around 340 m/s depending slightly on the ambient temperature.

Source

So what we have with an earthquake is a supersonic shock wave travelling through and round the earth in many different directions at once. If we take say 5km per second and the average wave speed, that is 5000 metres a second which is around 14.7 times the speed of sound!!!

I can't see the boom before an earthquake being caused by the seismic waves considering that sort of difference.

Question is - are the sounds that people are hearing round the world mappable to any earthquake events? We can tell when the seismic waves - P and S - reach a seismograph so it sound be possible to say if this is related to sounds heard at a specific time. It might even give us a clue as regards duration since we can also tell how long it took for the wave to pass through.

Take a look at the video on my page on understanding seismograms. As you can see they propagate in many different directions including straight through the earth.

I would imagine that the possibilities for creating resonance are endless. Some serious study needs to be done on this.

By the way, why is this only recently come to light? Availability of the Internet perhaps??? Can anyone ALWAYS remember these sounds occurring from time to time?

edit on 14/9/2011 by PuterMan because: To correct spelling weirdness from the maestro of weird speeling eras.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

There is a thread here on ATS where the op created a map of every report of the sound....I'll see if I can find it. for anyone who has not heard these sounds, you can listen to them here www.abovetopsecret.com...
I am starting to think that all this is related somehow....

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

What interests me about both of these statements is that they say the sounds can be heard BEFORE the earthquakes. Considering how sharp the onset of an earthquake is in terms of the seismic signature I am wondering how this can be. Could, dependent on the distance from the epicentre, the 'sound' of the earth moving reach you before the S wave gets there? Somehow I doubt it as the shock waves from an earthquake move at several km/s

Believe me, I've led in bed enough times in the past year with all our aftershocks and heard that boom and knew that house would move within seconds... it's a horrid, ominous noise that feels like it's coming at you from a great distance at great speed - it makes you shut your eyes and cringe..

I am live in a very rural area with long wide uninterrupted vistas with the Alps behind me. Sometimes that boom can bounce around for a while. The farther away the quake, the more rollling and mellower the boom iykwim, I can 'hear it coming'. The nearer the quake the shorter and sharper it is.

I don't know the physics of it. It's just how it is. And many of us talk of the same noises.
edit on 14-9-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I read somewhere that "Tibetan monks have preserved the knowledge that the increased energies on the planet would be reflected in the Earth humming that would reach a level that would represent the arrival of a new era."

Anyhow, there is some scientific data out there to suggest that this a fairly new phenomenon.

"Something entirely new to us is causing this hum. Its frequency suggests something is 'twisting' the surface of the crust."

Mystery hum puzzles geologists - article

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Perhaps this info is related as well.

Yes, the sun has its own magical tune and if you want to hear it, click below. Even more interesting, the earth dances in rhythm.

Article

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I live here in Snyder, and was in bed asleep during both of the larger quakes. Both mornings it shot me straight up out of bed ready to hit the ground running ! Sounded like a massive sonic boom accompanied by a rattling house. (And breaking glass on the 4.4 . )

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The Virginia earthquake was very loud and sounded like a train, it was continuous for about 10 -12 seconds and very, very loud.
My understanding is that the S-waves are the noisy ones and if you live in an area with solid bedrock it magnifies the sound somewhat.
Very odd all these earthquakes going off everywhere.
Makes me truly wonder how "natural" they are really are.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

Thanks. I had actually seen the one about the Sun

Although these tones are all around us, their pitch is too low for the human ear, typically 100-5000 microHertz (1 microHertz corresponds to 1 vibration every 278 hours)

Source

The 5000 microHertz interests me since that is 5 Hz and right in the earthquake range so could resonance at say 1-5 Hz from the Sun cause or trigger earthquakes??

As far as the other is concerned I am absolutely positive that given sufficient reasons to get finding the men in white coats can come up with all sorts of reasons why they need even more funding to answer the questions they themselves have generated. Good system really.

The reality is that the Earth is a living planet and there are numerous forces at work because we spin such as the Coriolis effect - which gives rise to twisting by the way - and yes depression and rebound from the atmosphere. It does weight quite a bit and atmospheric pressure does make a difference, etc etc.
edit on 15/9/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The 7.1 was incredibly loud - as if a couple of 747s were taking off and landing in the garden, coupled with the sounds of the house being shaken like a ragdoll in the mouth of a bulldog and stuff breaking/smashing. It's not a sound you can readily describe, but when you hear it again you know exactly what it is!!

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

Yes i heard the noises...I was on my computer looking up info on the quake bout 45 minutes after it happened...then I started hearing jet-sounding like noises in the sky, but when I tuned in more to them it was too weird sounding to be jets and then there are no jet flybys over in my area as well the airforce bases are all headed far west for where im in south SA, lik 4 or 5 sonic boom sounding noises happened...I thought they were pretty strange sounding

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
A host of new happenings ??

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

Is this of any use ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join