It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Many ATHEISTS Offended By Receiving May GOD BLESS You's When They Sneeze?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
there was this lady on the street walking buy as i walked to my front door and she sneezed i said may god bless you and she she said thanks but i dont believe in god. i said sorry.. and oh but whats what are you thankful for? she said your wishes. i wanted to ask her why she was thankful for my wishes lol but didnt bother cuz she was just a passerby

well that just made me wonder if should i continue with my polite may god bless you's even in light of a few atheists out there that may have a prompt rebuttal or will most be understanding of our difference in opinion.

from what i understand is our heart stops everytime we sneeze and starts over, hence good luck in starting anew. or something like that but it would be dumb to say good luck when someone sneezes (in some other languages we say Heath! right?)

anyways i know its petty but i just wanna be politically correct or whatever with atheists abound.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Of course not, it's just manners and an old habit many people have...not religious. This lady you met simply sounds like an idiot and uses every opportunity whether big or small to start an argument. Glad you didn't give her what she wanted.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This lady just wanted you to know she was an atheist. If someone says that to me I thank them, they're just being nice. I don't stop them to explain why I couldn't possibley accept their polite acknowledgment of my sneeze. She was looking for attention I suspect

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Why would you feel like you want to ask her why she'd be thankful for your wishes? People are generally happy to receive well wishes when they're heartfelt and it doesn't really matter the context- just the intent.

On her part though, it was unnecessary to inform you of her disbelief- I mean....why bother? Say thank you and move on; it was just a sneeze and a bless you.

People are so weird.

On a similar note- A stranger, whom I was not even addressing at the time, became offended when my friend sneezed and I said (in lieu of "bless you") 'Godzilla!.' He said it was rude of me to have not said the standard "bless you." Neither my friend nor I subscribe to any religion.

Weirdos all around!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It's not like "Your going to hell!", or "Your wrong about everything!", it's a mindless statement without meaning. I'm sure no one actually means to 'bless' someone to prevent demons from flying into their nose during the after sneeze. The meaning of the phrase has diminished. Though it's kind of tedious to have all the constant reminders of most others following a false (by atheists standpoint) religion, it's not really insulting.

Ignoring the fact that it's meaningless, would you(or do you think a notable amount of christians) be offended if someone tried giving you Allah's blessing? I'm sure some would retaliate to that, but not all. It is a positive sentiment, just from false(from said christians perspective) teachings.

I'm personally not offended by the phrase "God bless you". I'd accept it and move on without conflict. If someone was instead saying something else more intentional, trying to preach to me, I would most likely not accept it and challenge/explain(depending on their tone) why I'm not interested. That'd be very different though.

If you're afraid of offending the very few people, that's your choice. As much as I believe in being non-offensive, fair, and pro-equality, I'm not gonna bend over backwards to make sure everything I do is acceptable to everyone. It's impossible anyways. It ultimately is your choice whether or not you want to give in on this issue, I wouldn't hold it against you choosing either way.

~
Smart topic idea, I'll say. If you want to understand others feelings, you'll get a lot of different perspectives to listen to. That'll help you make the decision you feel is best regard this topic.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Not at all.

I understand the ultimate message, so I take it for what it is worth and move on.

BTW: In my experience, you do not need to be PC around atheists. Go ahead, call a spade a spade.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Sheesh, I don't even notice when people say "bless you" or something when I sneeze. I just say thanks. (althrough it kinda annoys me when people say anything when I sneeze... but thats because my sneezes usually come in packs of three or four and its kinda annoying when there's always that person that goes "God bless you... god bless you... god bless you... god bless you" yes yes yes, i get it)

Wonder if muslims say anything for sneezes? Would a christian get offended if someone said "Allah be with you" or something to that effect when they sneeze?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Everyones different. I sometimes correct the people I know, but if it were a stranger I would say thank you. I understand this woman completely with her response... Guess I'm one of those weirdo's (I mean I do come to this website)... : \

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'm not offended.
I even say "bless you" when someone sneezes. It's just a polite social custom. I am not offended when someone says "Merry Christmas", either.

It doesn't sound like the lady was offended to me. She said thinks and explained herself. Doesn't sound like she took offense.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I've grown up in the south and am quite accustomed to someone saying "bless you", and I do appreciate that. I would have to call myself an agnostic if anything. I notice that you were saying "may god bless you", which just sounds preachy and holier than thou. Living in the deep south, I have never heard someone say it that way, just the simple "bless you" is the norm around here(even I say it).
It may sound like nitpicking, but I think it makes a difference. Especially if you are saying it the way I hear it in my head lol. I still think she was rude by firing back like that, and personally I would have told her to shove it(but that's not very christian is it?).

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant

from what i understand is our heart stops everytime we sneeze and starts over, hence good luck in starting anew. or something like that but it would be dumb to say good luck when someone sneezes (in some other languages we say Heath! right?)

anyways i know its petty but i just wanna be politically correct or whatever with atheists abound.

It's also a sign of the deadly flu. I'm not atheist, but I understand the conflict. I get really upset when someone says "I'll pray for you." What???? Like, you have a direct line to God's cell phone, I have a party line, and got the answering machine? It seems arrogant.

link   
I am an atheist but have never felt the need to mention it after someone says 'bless you', they are just being polite.

It does not offend me, nor do I particularly care when others mention god. If anything I feel sorry for their delusioned state

edit on 13/9/2011 by Tachalka because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Skewed
BTW: In my experience, you do not need to be PC around atheists. Go ahead, call a spade a spade.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

This was a fair topic, with open communication between people of different perspectives. No need to throw insults just because you don't understand others. That's what causes topics like these to degrade into worthless bickering.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

That was not intended to be an insult.
Need some thicker skin maybe?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Tell her to shove it?? For what? Simply explaining her belief, as you imposed a religious phrase at her. Of course no Christian thinks demons are going to fly in your nose but its still a reference.

Btw thanks OP for this topic, my day was beginning to slowwww down. S & F

edit on 13-9-2011 by jeenyus2008 because: IDK

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Crap! I sneeze all the time...but am not allergetic. So I guess I have a long life ahead of me.

As for those who do not acknowledge or take an atheist stance…let ‘em be.

They’re living their life and so should you.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
No.
A blessing is a heartfelt desire for good toward the recipient.
Whatever god(s) are invoked.
It is a positive exchange from one human being to another.
Please don't discount atheists as being devoid of spirituality. Just as believers can be steadfast and immovable so can atheists. We are all at different levels of awareness and enlightenment. But atheist spirituality is alive and well.
I personally don't believe in God, but if he/she exists I hope they reward love and compassion with a chance to further our understanding of existence for you and your fellow believers and us decent loving atheists also.
So in answer to your question, no, I personally would see it as a positive spread of love.
The woman you met merely reacted with a negative to your positive, thats the balance in the universe. Without one the other is impotent.

Luckily the black death is no longer indiscriminately cutting down the pious and irreligious without regard, which is the root of your response .(you knew that).
edit on 13-9-2011 by HumansEh because: the usual

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

edit on 13-9-2011 by jeenyus2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx
That was not intended to be an insult.
Need some thicker skin maybe?

To paraphrase you, you said no need to be respectful around 'them' and followed up by applying a derogatory term to 'them'. It's not that I need thicker skin, it's that you were indeed being uncivil.

I could have said something along the lines of "I'm not offended, I just walk away and snicker at how primitively retarded they are". I didn't though, I don't think or talk like that, because I'm not an ass. And if I did later say no insult was intended, that wouldn't make it any less insulting.

I don't want to contribute to derailing this topic by replying to off topic insults though. If you want to clarify yourself any further, please PM me. Otherwise, let this topic stay on it's well-intentioned track.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I am agnostic (holding out surety but have faith that there is at the very least a universal consciousness and energy, possibly with intelligence or something we can equate to intelligence), but I pray almost every night. I usually consider myself a good Christian, as I was brought up with christian values, do unto others etc. In my last semester of college right now, and I currently and always have (since college) said "Bless you" out of respect for others, even though in my heart and mind I pray that it is God that is doing said blessing, not Xenu. :p:p Bless you is polite, God Bless You is a little bit much i think at least in a room of adults. It worked over fine in like Elementary school and middle school, even high school. But college seems to be a different atmosphere. I guess it depends on where you are. If you are somewhere in the south in a tavern im sure god bless you is fine. It comes down to preference really, the point here is dont be too adament about it, perhaps let someone else take over a god bless you once in a while, and dont say it for 3 sneezes in a row to 3 different people, if you catch my drift.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join