It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right versus truth.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If saving the Earth: everything you hold dear: meant that you and everyone had to lie all the time would it still be wrong? Would a lie become the new truth, or remain the same? A lie has many more possibilities or reply than the truth; people could get so good that they would themselves not know the truth. Or what if they changed places and you had to lie when you would normally tell the truth and so on. In this case would a lying be a kindness. I morality simply a perspective? Is there a such thing as right or wrong? Are right and wrong interchangeable?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by s12345

There is only one truth, and it is not read in any book or taught in any school or imposed by any government.
It is within.
Good and evil do not exist,
right and wrong is questionable,
all is unfolding exactly as it needs to.

It sounds like your a little overwhelmed. I've been there too. I recommend a walk outside and a good few hours off of the computer.
Much love.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by s12345

If saving the Earth: everything you hold dear: meant that you and everyone had to lie all the time would it still be wrong?

How could you be sure your lies would save the Earth? All you could hope for was to improve its chances of salvation. What if all your lies failed in their intent and the Earth was lost anyway?

Would a lie become the new truth, or remain the same?

How can a lie become true? If something is false, then it is false. No amount of talking is going to change that.

A lie has many more possibilities of reply than the truth; people could get so good that they would themselves not know the truth.

You are mistaking opinion or consensus for truth. Opinion is perception, not reality. Agreement on a common statement does not make the statement true. In Imperial Rome, the Emperor was agreed to be a god. Did that make him one? Was Vitellius immortal? Could Nero hurl thunderbolts?

Or what if they changed places and you had to lie when you would normally tell the truth and so on. In this case would a lying be a kindness. I morality simply a perspective? Is there a such thing as right or wrong? Are right and wrong interchangeable?

You seem to have got the idea that reality is perception. The more time you spend in the real world (rather than in front of a screen that presents you with images of a world that may or may not be real), the less risk you will run of mistaking what is stated for what is real.

Above all, be practical.

edit on 14/9/11 by Astyanax because: of an unbracket.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Although I strive to be a truth teller, there are a few exceptions. If I had lived during WW2, and I hid as many people as I could fit in the attic, I would completely lie if the Nazis asked if I had anybody up there. Another example: when I see my bitter aunt at parties and she wants to know details of my life, which she will then relentlessly seize upon and make the rest of the event psychological torture, I do not share them.
I think there is a deeper more profound truth involved. Just because someone- an interloper, a hostile- asks you something, does not mean that you are compelled to respond.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by s12345

You can lie to everyone else, but you won't be able to deny your own truths.... if everyone was lying, everyone would know they are lying and everyone would also know they are beying lied to.

The truth remains what it is even when it's never mentioned again.

as for right and wrong, well, that's in the eye of the beholder isn't it?
What's wrong for you can be a good thing for me and vica versa....

new topics

top topics

join