It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Employers Say Jobs Plan Won't Lead to Hiring Spur

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Employers Say Jobs Plan Won't Lead to Hiring Spur

www.nytimes.com

The dismal state of the economy is the main reason many companies are reluctant to hire workers, and few executives are saying that President Obama’s jobs plan — while welcome — will change their minds any time soon. That sentiment was echoed across numerous industries by executives in companies big and small on Friday, underscoring the challenge for the Obama administration as it tries to encourage hiring and perk up the moribund economy. The plan failed to generate any optimism on Wall Street as the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index and the Dow Jones industrial average each fell abou
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This is what we get for hiring a community activist for the most important management position in the free world. The man is either seriously incompetent or he is out to destroy the US. He promised hope. What hopes do you have now? Many Americans hope to find a job. Many Americans hope to find a place to park their car at night so they can sleep in peace. Many Americans hope to find some food for their children today. Many Americans hope that somehow, someway, they won't lose their jobs. The silent desperation of unrequited hopes pervade our nation. Is there any hope? This plan certainly will not lead to a major increase in hiring. It will not spur job creation. It MAY save a few jobs at tremendous cost per job.
Obama promised "CHANGE". There he has certainly delivered. The poverty rate has "changed". 1 person in 6 is now living in poverty. As much as you liberals may hate Bush, that rate never existed under him. Another "change" is the number of people living in wal-mart parking lots. I hate dealing with crowds, so I do my shopping very late or very early. It is disheartening to see so many families living in their cars. Sleeping at the edge of the parking lots of 24 hour wal-marts. Families that used to own homes, or at least have apartments. Is this the "change" we can believe in?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Are there no workhouses? Are there no Prisons?A little over 5 million people below the poverty line. Not all homeless, but perhaps soon to be. At least they are hungry, and many of those are children. This man who is the most powerful person in the world doesn't care for even a moment who is hungry, or who has lost everything.
He is content to take his vacations and spend our money. The only jobs he has helped create are road building which most people have no clue how to do. Trillions wasted. They are tearing up a new 4 lane road in my town and replacing it with ..you guessed it, another new 4 lane road. Soon it will be done, and guess what? Those guys will be on unemployment. At some point the credit will run out, and the paper money we print will be worthless. It nearly is now. Gas has gone up more in his previous two years on the throne than in the previous 100 years combined including on Bushes watch. Anyone notice that? In two years more than doubled from the previous 100 years!
that one thing should set of alarm bells in even the most liberal mind. We have trouble. Who started it doesn't matter, but our current leadership is about to bring America to the trash heap. Soon we will lie with the pigs and wallow in the mud. And the leaders? they will be hiding out in their bunkers that were built with our money to keep us from them when all is said and done. Good Post
S&F
DH

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely correct. Mrs O with her "let them eat cake attitude", but we knew she hated America. She said as much when her husband was nominated. For the very first time in her life, she was not ashamed of America. The Marie Antoinette of the 21st century. Her husband either has no clue, or he is happily following orders to dismantle America.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The economy will start looking noticeably better soon.

So chillax and just trust me on this.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

The Marie Antoinette of the 21st century. Her husband either has no clue, or he is happily following orders to dismantle America.

Why would he want to ``dismantle America``?

Who would benefit from this?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

The Marie Antoinette of the 21st century. Her husband either has no clue, or he is happily following orders to dismantle America.

Why would he want to ``dismantle America``?

Who would benefit from this?
The globalists. The only way to level the global playing field is to tear us down. The only way to get Americans to join a global government is to destroy our economy. Make people so desperate that they will do anything for some sort of "normal life".

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
As a business owner, the only thing that will cause me to hire people right now, is growth that exceeds what we can currently handle.

Not tax breaks or worry about a government that is nosey and borderline schizo.

Only growth will result in hiring. It really is a simple concept. I mean why am I going to hire someone just because I can save money on a tax that shouldn't even exist? That is stupid. But I will hire people if I need their services because our current team cant handle it all.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Desolate Cancer because: bored

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

You have already shown a greater understanding of how to solve the problem then O will ever be able to.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Well, I am hiring. Expanding my production LLC and putting on another full crew, plus another producer/director and voice over announcer; Mainly shooting political commercials for local and state politicians for the upcoming slug fest, but also commercials for retail operations and PSAs for the various govt. entities. Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas is always a busy season for us with TV ads but with the elections...yeehawww...plenty of campaign money from both sides being spent on spots.

I'm also taking on some young min. wage apprentices as production assistants thru the DECA program at our local HS.

It's who you know....and as long as they know that you are professional and can keep secrets; doors swing wide open. But to play the game...you have to sit at the table and ante up. Got the guts? Join us....

I love America and the free enterprise system. No limits, No excuses!
edit on 13-9-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This problem we have here, nobody wants to fix..this sentiment is Global....now more than ever I am entertaining that TPTB know it is futile to change.....from a global standpoint everybody is waiting for Jesus to come back or the Aliens to land or the Comet to hit on the CME to blast us back into the stone age......Tell me something,,,if you knew something, as a world leader, was coming down the Pike, would you change anything??? I have not bought into this Human 404 idea but I have to look at what make sense...so far its all I have for answers
edit on 13-9-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: this comment is not intended to make this thread a 2012 end of times reply please have it removed if you choose

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

It can easily be argued that high taxes and intrusive government stand in the way of business/industry/economy growth.

reply to post by whaaa

It sounds like you are in the media business and seeing increased demand due to the political season. Once the elections are over, are you going to be able to afford to keep those hired hands around? Are you going to have the work?

Businesses are trimming down all over. We have restructured how the kitchen works in the restaurant to eliminate one position during the week days - no one has been 'lost' - but a total of 25-30 paid hours have been eliminated. One salary position is... on unpaid vacation, indefinitely - it was pretty crazy what her salary was, and the employee was no longer performing the functions of the position (most of us hourly wages ended up doing it).

The only reason we have stayed in operation is because of our clientele and atmosphere - one of the few 'proper' restaurants in the area - so we see a lot of older, retired folks; lawyers, and local business owners (half the local and county government frequents the place, at least). That, and the bar. Nothing sells in a depression like alcohol.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm not relying on the government. I lost my job last year but earlier this year I said what the heck, I'm taking matters into my own hands and started working as a freelance writer, graphic designer and web designer. I'm not making a ton of money, but I'm making enough to pay my share of the bills in our household, etc.. I don't think the jobs plan will do that much, but I'm not waiting for uncle sam to care for me.. Heck with that..

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

It can easily be argued that high taxes and intrusive government stand in the way of business/industry/economy growth.

Im not arguing with that, I agree 100% and am a hardcore libertarian at heart. My point is that Obama saying ok so it normally costs you (arguments sake) $115 per day to employ one person, well now it will only cost you $100 to employ that same person. Ok great but I would still be paying $100 for the person I dont really need. So thanks but not thanks.

But that is just me, if I was on the edge of hiring someone but the current costs where to high, however bc of this my costs go down then that is great, maybe it will make sense for those people, but I just dont see even the largest of companies hiring lots of people because of this.

My biggest problem anyway is that they are just reducing something that I shouldn't have to be paying anyway. I mean why do I need to pay taxes to employ someone? What, do I need ot thank the govt for supplying me these great people to hire? Its infuriating its like a mob racket, where they come in and you are supposed to be thankful that they are only going to collect 10k this month instead of 15k for protection. Thanks so much for not burning down my store guys really.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
What do you mean raising taxes on the job creators won't lead to hiring?

Are you serious?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

The point of the jobs bill is to get people working on infrastructure; which will get income into the hands of people who need it. People will then have money to spend; which can help spur growth. Lower taxes on businesses will help lower the risk of hiring people in the early stages of growth. You are right though lower taxes alone are not goig to encourage businesses to hire people. We need to see some growth, but to do that people need to start working again so there is money flowing in the economy to create growth.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
simple business 101.

if you aint got the cash you cant hire

and if your already making 100% of nothing no tax break is going to make one bit of difference.

indeed the community organzier dont know jack about anything but wait for it

throw money at the problem like all democrats do that solve nothing but create more problems

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by diddlydo

The point of the jobs bill is to get people working on infrastructure; which will get income into the hands of people who need it. People will then have money to spend; which can help spur growth.

Not necessarily. Most of that income goes straight into debt payments (mortgages, credit cards, etc) - which doesn't do much to stimulate economic growth.

Further, the jobs are not lasting jobs. The jobs go away as soon as government spending does. The only infrastructure the government should consider building as part of 'stimulus' spending is in deploying new infrastructure for industry to encourage industrial growth and productivity. That will help create lasting jobs and spur private side investment - which will have much higher odds of success.

As it stands, most of the proposed projects are gimicky at best. It's like watching your city coffers go down the toilet in Sim City and paying to put in an elevated-rail system to try and lower "unemployment" (the game has no metric for this... but you get what I'm saying). If you spend on anything - it should be on expansionary policies that promote growth (and increase the economic activity which in turn leads to better revenue and a city that doesn't go bankrupt).

... Of course - the difference is that, in real life, the federal government has access to the printing press - so they attempt to obfuscate the problem by simply printing money. But, whatever.

Personally, I think the fact they are trying to do something about the economy is all that needs to be said. They should leave it the hell alone and reign their budget in. Perhaps business leaders would have a little more confidence in the competence of our government if it could actually operate on a budget like every business owner that avoids failure.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I agree and disagree at the same time. The temporary jobs will hopefully spur growth as I said above. If there is some economic growth businesses hopefully would create permanent jobs. So as the temp. jobs start to dry up the permanent jobs would fill in for those losses leading to a net gain in the end.

I don't think this jobs bill is the end all be all solution to our problems. We have a dysfunctional government combined with a dysfunctional economy. Currently our trade deficit is laughable, and a concerning disproportion of wealth (I highly suggest anyone look a Proctor and Gambles new product strategy). We need some long sweeping reforms in both the government and private sectors.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

edit on 14-9-2011 by diddlydo because: Accidental double post mods please delete

top topics

<<   2 >>

join