It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 14-year-old boy got into a fight at a school bus stop and the police officer responded by shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
www.courthousenews.com...

SAN ANTONIO (CN) - A 14-year-old boy got into a fight at a school bus stop and the school district's police officer responded by shooting him to death, the boy's mother says. She says the cop had been reprimanded 16 times in the previous 4 years, suspended without pay 5 times, and "recommended for termination for insubordination," but the school kept him on the force "without remedial training."
Denys Lopez Moreno sued the Northside Independent School District, of San Antonio, the district's Chief of Police John Page and the alleged shooter, Daniel Alvarado, in Federal Court.
Lopez says her son, Derek, got into a fight with another boy at a school bus stop and punched the other boy once, in November 2010.
"Defendant, Alvarado, having responded to a call regarding a bus with a flat tire, witnessed Derek strike the other boy. He ordered Derek to 'freeze.' Derek hesitated and then ran from defendant Alvarado," according to the complaint.
"In his patrol car, Alvarado began chasing Derek in the neighborhood across the street from the high school. Alvarado lost sight of the boy in the neighborhood and returned to the location of the school boy fight. At that time, he called dispatch. Dispatch recordings reflect that his supervisor directed Alvarado to stay with the other boy and to 'not do any big search over there.'
"Ignoring his supervisor's orders to 'stay with the victim and get the information from him,' Alvarado placed the second boy into the patrol car and sped into the neighborhood to search for Derek."
Lopez says her son jumped over a fence and hid in a shed in the back yard of a house. The homeowner saw him, called 911, and alerted a neighbor, who pointed Alvarado in Derek's direction. Lopez says her son never left the shed, never approached the house or threatened the homeowner or her daughters, and posed no threat to anyone.
Nonetheless, she says: "In violation of NISD police department procedures, Alvarado drew his weapon immediately after exiting the patrol car. With his gun drawn, he rushed through the gate and into the back yard. Within seconds from arriving at the residence, Alvarado shot and killed the unarmed boy hiding in the shed."

You know usually I have something to say when it comes to events like this. Like always when a kid dies I am saddened, there is something just depressing about it. I'm sure the defenders of the police will join into the thread in a bit so as always some rules that I would like you to follow. Don't say I have a bad source unless you can provide another and don't try to say that the cop was acting in accordance with protocol. Clearly killing an unarmed kid is not okay.

I'm just saddened. I'm not sure why it makes me sad when I read a story about a teenager getting killed (considering it happens every day to someone) but it just does. Perhaps it's because they had their whole life in front of them or something else, idk. It could be because I am young myself that it bugs me so much. I'm just not sure. Anyways I thought I'd share this story with ATS.

- Drew
edit on 9/13/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

As a edit I'm going to throw in another source. This one states what the officer actually put in the police report. Apparently according to the officer the kid flung the shed door out and hit him in the face. Making the officer mad and making the officer fear for his life. So obviously the officer had to take out his gun and shoot a 14 year old boy. Obviously it makes sense because you know we have to believe the police. Right?

www.ksat.com...

/s

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Give a moron a shred of responsibility and this is the result, a lot of police officers are complete basket cases and if they were not cops they would be in jail or worse. he will pay for this murder either in this life or beyond.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
How uncalled for. I could MAYBE understand a taser being used if the two kept fghting and wouldn't break it up. The boy ran though and he was told not to pursue. He not only pursued but ended up in a kid dead.
Not much to say about this...

edit on 13-9-2011 by TheWorldSpins because: hit enter too soon

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I hope justice is served. I am tired of hearing of stories like these day after day. North America is becoming a 3rd world police state and they are rubbing it in our face. It's almost they are purposely conditioning us.

RIP to that boy and blessings to his family.

+22 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
exactly the reason why public jobs should never be unionized.

if he wasnt union he would have been long gone.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
You're right mate...that's tragic.

What more can be said really? The poor kid is dead, and is never coming back. The poor parents have lost what is probably the most important thing that they ever had in their lives...and they're never going to get him back either.

The lunatic, sadistic madman that murdered him might do a few years, and get out and live on.

It is truly astonishing the calibre of some of the people those in positions of authority choose to employ to 'guard' us and our children.

I'm not into violence and i do not advocate it either, but in this case, if it were my 14 year old boy cowering afraid for his life in a shed, blasted into oblivion by this monster, i'd be doing serious time for manslaughter or murder after i'd finished with him. There'd be no way i could live with myself knowing the guy that slaughtered my young terrified son was still alive.

It's tragic.

And no, i'm not religious.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
That is terrible. Do we know how much the mother sued the police district for. I believe, although I may be mistaken, that in cases like these the parents would get several million dollars. Not that that will bring back her son, but it would at least be something.

link   
This is simply horrible. I don't understand how anyone can think it's okay to shoot someone in that kind of situation. I try to believe that all people are good, and I don't know what happened in that police officer's life to make him feel the need to validate his own existence and superiority by shooting a teenager, but I just don't know how to believe there is good in that man at this point in time. Perhaps he had good at one point and it was squashed by older, more cynical people when he was just 14 years old. Clearly, we need a change, and it needs to start with our own treatment of others, especially those younger and more impressionable. I just can't believe anyone can be born evil, but way too many people are growing up to become that way because of the negative influences of this culture and world. Cure the disease, not the symptoms...

link   

On second thought, that wasn't a very good sentiment.

I defend the police in a lot of instances, but this one is completely out of any logical need for his weapon. He did everything wrong from the very start. I hope he gets everything that is coming to him!
edit on 13-9-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I do too mate, and a lot of the time the police come in for unjustified attacks and deserve to be spoken up for.

But street justice sounds right to me this time around too, give him to the family.

ETA: You're initial sentiments were spot on the first time mate.
edit on 13/9/2011 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Agreed!
2nd.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Kids have always fought and the bus stop is one of the prime places to see this happen.

If this happens to my children, I will shoot without any hesitation. This cop is insane and needs to be treated as such, his freedom is over, his life is over, he may as well do it himself since he is so fricking keen on his powerful gun.

Sheeze, I couldnt even finish readfing the OP.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

He would be wise to do it him self. If he does go to jail and the other inmates find out he's a cop and a child killer.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I am at a total loss for words. Star and Flag to help keep this thread alive. I often hear about how the Police need to be careful about how they approach someone not knowing if they are dangerous. they need to consider that the person being approached is probably even more terrified and as these incidents increase, so will the fear.
Peace and Love to this child's family. DH

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The San Antonio Police Department has ruled the case a justified shooting. The Bexar County district attorney's office still is investigating.

The question of whether the shooting was justified is unrelated to the officer's history of disobeying orders, Assistant District Attorney Cliff Herberg said. The former is a legal matter; the latter, administrative.

According to this article the PD ruled the case a justified shooting... Alvarado claimed the boy rushed him and he had no choice, he was "in fear of his safety" though tests showed there was no gunpowder on his uniform and therefore, no indication of close quarter fire...

"The suspect bull rushed his way out of the shed and lunged right at me," Alvarado wrote. "The suspect was literally inches away from me, and I feared for my safety."

Tracing the bullet's path into the boy's chest as it ricocheted off the pancreas, colon, right liver and left kidney and exited the stomach, an autopsy report notes a lack of gunpowder on Lopez's bloodstained T-shirt.

"There is no evidence of close range firing of the wound," the report concludes.

Read more: www.mysanantonio.com...

Truly disturbing situation.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

no doubt a blue ribbon panel of experts will review everything with great care, have lots of meetings, spend a lengthy amount of time and money, people will be called in from outside, others will give testimony, and after all is said and done they will find the LEO innocent of any wrongdoing.

badges answer to no one. at best the Mom will be awarded money in court paid by the pockets of the taxpayers in the community. and a huge portion of that blood money will go to a lawyer.

badges answer to no one.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
these things will continue on as long as americans allow it to go on.

these guy is a obvious criminal even before he shot the kid.

i swear im so tired of hearing how they are justified in shooting anyone, much less cause he bull rushed him.
im mean whats the pepper spray for.....FUN?

or those tazers they love to shoot at people or is that just another way to murder someone, this guy put up a fight so lets all tazer him till we electrocute him to death.

i really dis-like the police.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I feel the same way, and I AM religious.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
All I can say is this is another case of a Tyranny Enforcement Officer that is out of control. I can tell you right now that if it was my 14yo son I would find a water tower of rooftop and put my Mdl 700 Remington .308 to good use. IMO that is what should be done anytime these tyrants commit their acts of terrorism against the people they are meant to serve. I would venture to say that this POS cop will get a 4 or 6 week vaction (suspension with pay) and then it will be found that his actions were justified.

The fact is that this officers actions speak volumes of what a p*ssy he really is. I come from a long line of "Law Enforcement Officers" going back to my Great grandfather who was Pat Garrett of Billy The Kid fame and my uncle was the last in my family to serve as an officer of the law. LEO's used to be called "Peace Officers" but they dropped that title years ago and it is becoming more than obvious to me now why they did.

I once asked my uncle why he retired from law enforcement and he told me that it was because police now potray themselves in most cases to be a bigger danger to the public than most of the criminals they try to catch.

Welcome to the new America, home of the free based not upon the constitution, but upon the tyrants laws that are meant to control and oppress. Where anyone whom speaks out about the wrongs done by our government are not seen as patriots but instead as terrorists.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Nucleardiver because: i suck at spelling

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

The San Antonio Police Department has ruled the case a justified shooting. The Bexar County district attorney's office still is investigating.

The question of whether the shooting was justified is unrelated to the officer's history of disobeying orders, Assistant District Attorney Cliff Herberg said. The former is a legal matter; the latter, administrative.

According to this article the PD ruled the case a justified shooting... Alvarado claimed the boy rushed him and he had no choice, he was "in fear of his safety" though tests showed there was no gunpowder on his uniform and therefore, no indication of close quarter fire...

"The suspect bull rushed his way out of the shed and lunged right at me," Alvarado wrote. "The suspect was literally inches away from me, and I feared for my safety."

Tracing the bullet's path into the boy's chest as it ricocheted off the pancreas, colon, right liver and left kidney and exited the stomach, an autopsy report notes a lack of gunpowder on Lopez's bloodstained T-shirt.

"There is no evidence of close range firing of the wound," the report concludes.

Read more: www.mysanantonio.com...

Truly disturbing situation.

If the cop is such a coward that he was in fear of his life by a 14yo kid then he should go into a job more along the lines of his bravery such as telemarketing or IT tech.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join