It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the oceans turned black...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Are we now seeing the true beginning of the end?

Please read the following article in its entirety:
www.msnbc.msn.com...
From the article:

The paper says the rising temperature of ocean water is causing a proliferation of the Vibrio genus of bacteria, which can cause food poisoning, serious gastroenteritis, septicemia and cholera.

"Millions of euros in health costs may result from human consumption of contaminated seafood, ingestion of waterborne pathogens, and, to a lesser degree, though direct occupational or recreational exposure to marine disease," says the paper. "Climatic conditions are playing an increasingly important role in the transmission of these diseases."

It is not only the range of changes that has scientists concerned, but the speed of them.

"The biggest surprise to me is the fact that things are changing in the ocean much more rapidly than we thought was possible," said Carlo Heip, who is director of the same institute in the Netherlands.

In the Baltic region in 2006, far more people got gastroenteritis than usual, Heip said. But he acknowledged that is anecdotal evidence only, and the extent of the danger is unclear.

This is quite sad indeed. We should all be well aware by now that bacteria and its mutations are becoming a lethal problem, but now it seems as though it is going to be an even bigger disaster. It's bad enough that the precious and delicate sea life is going to be affected, but we do eat this stuff and it will only be a matter of time before it is seen affecting humans as well.

Make no mistake -- we are killing ourselves, planet Earth, and all its beautiful creatures.

Humans have always strived to "improve" upon nature. You can't improve perfection!

We should've learned how to live within the ecosystem as it was designed. Now, we are going to suffer along with the innocent life forms that can coexist without needing to inflict wars and genocide upon each other.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I believe that the oceans' sickness is a sure sign of the irreversible downward spiral we have created. Humans are so smart and capable of so much! Why haven't we been smart enough to leave well enough alone? Nature is perfection and we have been too stupid and egotistical to appreciate the pure beauty and abundance before us.

Water is the body's life force and it is also the Earth's. If a nurse gave you a blood transfusion using blood that was full of toxins, your body would try to clean it and would most likely die trying.

I ask you, what can we do at this point? Bacteria are becoming stronger, we've polluted everything with radiation, and all our "powerful" ones want to fight and kill. In my opinion, a good start would be to bring our troops home and start to train them specifically in assisting with natural disasters. This is the one great thing we can do as a species right here and now.

(Excuse me while I go watch the cat/dolphin video now to regain my balance.)

Peace, everyone!
edit on Tue Sep 13 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: ex tags

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
There is no climate change and it is impossible for bacteria to evolve -- this is a non-issue.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

There is a huge difference between natural climate change, and human destruction of the earth. Surely most the pollutants we have produced over the last couple hundred years have had a part in the killing of coral reefs, all the types of planktons, the cause of new bacterias such as the one in the OP.

Whether it is caused by natural climate change or human actions, our world is changing. This is one fine example.

Please be aware that I am not trying to be an alarmist. Our earth has always gone through these changes so it's nothing new. But it's new to us.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I appreciate your reply, but I'm not talking about climate change. What I'm seeing here is a much bigger problem. Bacteria has most certainly gotten stronger and more difficult to treat. I believe it is mainly from eating meat that's harvested from cattle who have been given antibiotics, but this thing with the bacteria in oceans is an eye opener. Is this caused by run off from fields? Why are the bacteria becoming more prevalent in the oceans? Have the currents changed and altered the temperature in certain bodies of water that wouldn't normally carry such high concentrations of lethal bacteria?

These are just some of the questions I have about this and often wonder why stronger bacteria have been creeping up in the past decade. But, these are land-based accounts where humans are the main victims. Now, the bacteria are multiplying in abundance in the oceans. I don't see this getting better any time soon and I certainly don't see a quick fix either.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Indeed there is climate change. It changes every day. It is the earth doing what it always does, going through the motions of hot and cold, hence change. How much of it is actually man made and how serious it will become is still an unanswered question. And bacteria do not evolve. but both virus and bacteria do mutate. Most of that is man made. consider the simple staph aureus pathogen. Easily killed by most antibiotics. But after years of antibiotic abuse it has mutated into what is called MSRA aka methicillin resistant staph aureus.
Deadly and moderately resistant to the most potent antibiotic on the market, Hence it mutated, but that is our fault. I wonder considering this thread addresses the known problems in the Ocean heating up if we have not also brought some of this upon our own heads. Surely we did it with antibiotics, and vaccines. Resistance occurs only when there is something that must be resisted. Hence we are our own worst enemy.
If bacteria can mutate because of our own stupidity, then is it possible for the environment to do so as well?
The earth may not be evolving, but it can mutate just as easily as an unseen bacteria or virus, and without a doubt we caused most of that, because after all, those bacteria and virus are also part of the life cycle/chain
DH

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I see that you are not talking about climate change, however that is one of the end products of our own personal destruction of this beautiful planet. Bacteria thrive in certain environments. It depends on many things. Ability of that bacteria to adapt, grow, eat, and reproduce. Temperature is one of those things needed which globally seems to be very erratic. These bacteria are growing because they are like us. They need certain things to exist and grow. Since they are growing, those things they need to do so have become more prevalent. So we have to consider a change in the environment of the bacteria. AKA climate change. man made or not. something did change because they are increasing. Things are changing. what else can we call it? Why are so many people spooked about it. In the words of George Carlin. "it's simply going to be the Earth Plus Plastic" What you are describing in your thread is the result of a change in the environment of these microbes. Hence it is climate change, regardless of the reason. One day we will be gone....The earth will remain whatever the condition we leave it in

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Sorry - I was being sardonic

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
reply to post by Afterthought

In the words of George Carlin. "it's simply going to be the Earth Plus Plastic"

Love George Carlin! He was spot on with a lot of what he said -- and this is an understatement!

You're right that there is change occuring within our climate. While we are seeing warming happening in some places, I do believe that this is just a prerequisite to the cooling we're going to experience. A mini ice age. This won't solve the problem though. It will only create a hibernation place for this deadly bacteria.

As we saw in the Egyptian tombs and the bacteria that was trapped inside, it's possible that the melting icebergs also hold such deadly microbes that have been encased and hibernating.

All of the planets seem to be experiencing some sort of change and this is being kept hush hush. We should find out soon enough what is going on. It's just that I wouldn't put it past TPTB to be cheering every time a new deadly disease or microbe threatens life forms they consider to be inferior or "useless eaters".

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
ohhh dont worry about it at all!, BIG PHARMA will make a new vaccine and we will all be fine!!

also was there something in the bible about desieses spreading around the world in the end times??

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Bacteria do evolve...it's called survival

Every bacterium has a set of genes that completely describe the bacterium, and which dictate the physical, chemical and biological characteristics of the bacterium. These genes are made of the chemicals DNA and RNA. This set of genes is known as the genotype of the bacterium. Usually, when a parent bacterium splits into two bacteria, the two progeny bacteria are genetically identical, i.e. they have the same genotype.

However, this is not always the case. There are several situations in which the genes(genotype) of a bacterium can change.

Mutation. Mutation happens when there is a genetic "error" in the copying of the genes from parent to progeny bacterium. This results in a progeny bacterium which has a different genotype to that of its parent. Mutation rates vary between different genus and species of bacteria. Statistically, random mutations may occur as often as one in every million multiplications, or as seldom as one in every billion multiplications. However, since most bacterial populations in the human body number well into the millions, if not billions, the chances are that there will be many mutations with each new generation.
Transduction. Bacteria, like humans, can be attacked by viruses. These bacterial viruses are known as bacteriophages. These bacteriophages invade bacteria, and can change their DNA. They may also carry DNA from one bacterium to another. These actions alter the genotype of the bacterium. This process is known as Transduction.
Conjugation. Sometimes bacteria may join together and exchange DNA. This changes the genotype of the bacteria. This process is known as Conjugation.

Why are the above important? Because they allow the bacteria to adapt to their environment. Changes in the genotype may allow the bacteria to obtain nutrition from sources they were unable to feed from before, they may allow the bacteria to survive in a more hostile environment, and they may allow the bacteria to avoid the action of destructive chemicals (e.g. anti-biotics) or allow them to produce chemicals that protect from attack by organisms that are capable of destroying them.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
After considering the massive radiation leaks experienced in Japan and the bacterial bloom in the oceans, I thought to do a bit of research in regards to radiation and bacteria.

This is what I found:

Radiation-resistant bacteria encompass eight species of bacteria in a genus known as Deinococcus. The prototype species is Deinococcus radiodurans. This and the other species are capable of not only survival but of growth in the presence of radiation that is lethal to all other known forms of life.

An instantaneous dose of 500 to 1000 rads of gamma radiation is lethal to a human. However, Deinococcus radiodurans is unaffected by exposure to up to 3 million rads of gamma radiation. Indeed, the bacterium, whose name translates to "strange berry that withstands radiation," holds a place in The Guinness Book of World Records as "the world's toughest bacterium."

www.bookrags.com...

I found this more complicated expose from the Bhabha Atomic Research Center in India, but I'm unable to copy the text. It's worth a read if you have the time:
www.jstor.org...

Then, there's this about bacteria on Europa:

E. coli love moderate temperatures around 37 C (98.6 F), and a neutral pH of 7. The sulfur-oxidizing hyperthermophile Sulfolobus shibatae grows best at an extremely acidic pH of 2 and at temperatures around 80 C (176 F). D. radiodurans can survive the harsh ionizing and ultra-violet radiation of space, as well as extreme cold, vacuum conditions, and oxidative damage.

The distorted infrared readings indicate that the colored patches are composed of water bound to some other material. Many scientists believe that a mixture of salt minerals or sulfuric acid contained in the ice best explains the spectra. The salts could be further evidence of a salty ocean lying beneath the ice, as is indicated by magnetometer data from the Galileo spacecraft.

www.astrobio.net...

So, from this last source, if I'm comprehending it correctly, bacteria and is where Europa gets its color from, which just happens to hint to scientists that Europa may be covered with oceans. Please read the entire article to come to your own conclusion.

So, regarding the minimal amount of research and experimentation that has been done with bacteria and its reaction/behavior when exposed to radiation makes me wonder if our oceans are going to become seething cess pools of bacteria due to the Japan disaster. And here I thought only roaches were immune to radiation.

Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Also, does anyone know whether or not Japan is proceeding with their sunflower sucking radiation plan?
Besides the nuclear waste it will create, it has been discovered that sunflowers harbor bacteria.

Thirty-eight of the 61 isolates of bacteria obtained from diseased and healthy sunflower leaves inhibited the germination of conidia and growth of germ-tubes of Alternaria helianthi in vitro. Inhibition included reduced conidial germination, germ-tube swelling causing vesicle formation, excessive germ-tube branching, lysis of germ-tubes, absence of sporulation and a reduced rate of hyphal growth. Some bacteria appeared to be endoparasitic, persisting inside the lumina of conidia and causing erosion of the conidium wall which resulted in the destruction of conidial cells. Bacteria attached themselves to conidia, hyphae and conidiophores and, in the field, are probably dispersed with the fungus. Five bacterial isolates that showed a high level of inhibition were identified as members of the genus Bacillus and -comprised three species, B. subtilis, B. cereusand B. mycoides.

www.publish.csiro.au...

I wonder what happens when the bacteria in sunflowers is exposed to radiation? Would it mutate to affect other types of plants? Would we see mutated sunflowers growing from irradiated seeds? Not to mention the fact that fungus has a role in the dispersal, how are fungi affected by radiation?

Wow! I think I may have opened a new can of worms here.

Will someone please shoot down my theory....
edit on 14-9-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well, this isn't good and the timing is eerie, too. Not to mention the study was done in Japan.

This article just released is in regards to MRSA is now more resistant to treatment:

Japanese researchers made the finding after testing 259 MRSA strains for susceptibility to bacitracin and neomycin, two of the antibacterial ingredients commonly found in over-the-counter ointments like Neosporin and Polysporin. Resistance to bacitracin and neomycin was only found in USA300, a type of MRSA found in the United States.

Source: www.wftv.com...

Is radiation causing bacteria to become more deadly?

edit on 14-9-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

top topics

join