It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sum of all Fears : What if Elenin is Nibiru?

page: 22
<< 19  20  21   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeussusZ
reply to post by nenothtu

I don't think it will be the end of the world. Maybe something might happen maybe not. To be prepared in case isn't so silly is it.

I personally think people should be prepared for any thing they CAN be prepared for - but how does one prepare for having his planet cracked open like a soft-boiled egg? Stock up on super glue?

If the doomsayers were right, the only logical "preparation" would be to have a case of liquor on hand, and start guzzling - and I mean GUZZLING - it 12 hours before impact. Object: to be in oblivion ahead of schedule.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Theophoros

Both calculations are easy to do for an astrophysicist, but ONLY if the exact angular sizes are available. Since we only have some crappy video frames to go by, the following mass calculation is only A ROUGH ESTIMATE!

Your entire estimate is based entirely on these "crappy images." In fact, your whole "gravitational microlensing" argument is based on them. The resolution of the STEREO camera is extremely low. The "size" of the object in the field of vision is a function of the brightness of the point sources on the CCD receptors; the brighter the object, the larger the number of pixels and, hence, the larger the image. There was no gravitational lensing effect. As Elenin passes near a background star or planet their brightnesses will be added together by the CCD to create a single "larger, brighter" image. Your calculation is not merely rough, it is spurious.
edit on 16-9-2011 by DJW001 because: Edit to correct typo.

edit on 16-9-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

I missed the original post you refer to, but it appears he's trying to calculate mass from a picture in the part you quoted. Mere angular diameter won't get it done, I don't care how whiz-bang a physicist he is. To work from angular diameter, he has to have distance to get absolute diameter, and then, on top of that, he has to know the density in order to calculate mass from the volume given by the diameter calculations.

The best physicist on Earth won't get a mass from only a picture, "crappy" or not. There's a world of difference between the density of a comet and the density of a brown dwarf, "black dwarf", "carbon star", or whatever the claim of the day is for Elelnin. "Spurious" doesn't even begin to cover it

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Wow, that's a lot of off-topic posts. Did I miss something fun? I just have to reiterate what has been said already. You can't determine diameter from a simple picture without having many other variables accounted for. On top of that to be able to determine things like density you would need to know what it was composed of and how porous it was.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

by being prepared I mean at least thinking about a way to get to higher ground or other place you think could be safer, what basic stuff you might need. If the earth turns to absolute crap theres not anything you can do about it, but if something minor-ish happens you might have a bit better chance if you've thought about it before, not running around looking for a sleeping bag after. Then again nothing at all might happen and all you've lost is a bit of thinking time.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The Sum of all Fears : What if Elenin is Nibiru?

Nibiru = Planet Zero, not X, because Elenin is: no more = No Fear!

Relax & enjoy something. 8)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by oxbow

OP, how will you feel when Elenin just sails harmlessly on by? I expect you're going to be pretty damn annoyed you wasted all that time and energy on these threads when you could have been doing something better with your time.

Originally posted by Theophoros

Ask me that on September 29th...

As requested. It's rather churlish of me, but OP, how do you feel?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theophoros

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
DId Saturn really tilt

Is it possible the tail or coma may make contact

IF ITS NIBIRU then.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY EARTH

Yes it did, contrary to what some say - a refraction scope would make Saturn appear to be 180 degrees out of phase - not 90 degrees.

Also, some are saying the Moon has flipped :

No, Saturn's tilt is normal:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Also, the moon did not flip:

Now that Elenin's alignment with the sun has come and gone uneventfully, I hope they can look past the hysteria and see the truth of the matter.
edit on 3-10-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 19  20  21   >>

join