It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census: US poverty rate swells to nearly 1 in 6

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Census: US poverty rate swells to nearly 1 in 6

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — The ranks of America's poor swelled to almost 1 in 6 people last year, reaching a new high as long-term unemployment left millions of Americans struggling and out of work. The number of uninsured edged up to 49.9 million, the biggest in more than two decades.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I say screw 'em...those conducting the census in Washington I mean. Sure there are poor people out there, they cover the world, but those who feel that they are in poverty here in America are better off than many others.

I make well below poverty standards, but I prepared, invested, scrimped and saved. I live within my means on a fixed budget. I save for my wants and spend on my needs. And if I don’t have at least double the price of whatever it is I want, I don’t buy it. I make do with what I have.

I don’t need the latest and greatest tech gadget. I use what I have until it breaks and if I can repair it, I will. I am taking part in a community garden and learning to can. I reload all my own ammo. There are ways of making ends meet, even while poor. I consider myself a rich man.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
So your mentality is that being in poverty is totally fine and no one should care about it increasing... smart

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I agree that poverty is a relative thing. Most Americans would surely die if they suddenly became as poverty stricken as some people in other parts of the world.

In America it's become about the ability to compete.

1 - Some can and do. Their success is their own.

2 - Some can and don't. These get the most attention.

3 - Some can't but would. The populists usually group them with number 2 above... it's easier to ignore them that way.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

I am in the poverty community accrording to the census...but I don't think I'm poor. I like to think of myself as self-sufficient.

If I cashed out all my holdings right now, I would be fairly wealthy, at least comfortable....for about five to ten years, then under the bridge I go.
edit on 13-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.
edit on Tue Sep 13 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link

top topics

join