It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestine calls for Irish support in joining UN.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2b23347e85b1.jpg[/atsimg]

Palestinian authorities have called for Irish support in its global campaign to have Palestine recognised as a United Nations member state. The Palestinian ambassador to Ireland met a cross-party delegation of TDs along with the so-called “flying chair”, a handcrafted symbol of the state’s statehood bid.

[...]

Ambassador Dr Hikmat Ajjuri said they wanted to convey to TDs the link between Palestine and Ireland.

“The historic relationship and the long friendship between us and Ireland, I think needs us to ask and to request from our friends in Ireland to support us in this move,” he said.

The United States aren't pleased:

The United States, a permanent member of the UN Security Council, has said it will veto any application

Source:

breakingnews.ie...

My thoughts:

I believe that the Palestinians are persecuted. Whether or not their joining of the United Nations is good thing for them or could ever happen, I do not know. Futhermore, I do not know the potential extent of Ireland's support.

I look forward to the insight of other members.

edit on 13/9/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

Whether or not their joining of the United Nations is good thing for them or could ever happen, I do not know.

It would be the only logical first step towards peace and stability in the region. there is no just reasoning to keep those people under occupation this long. Terrorism? the reaction to the problem causes the problem. They must keep them occupied because they will become terrorists, but they become terrorists because they are occupied and have no hope.

ending that cycle can only lead to peace (if the US and Israel allow it)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The Palestinians are not being persecuted. This whole thing is a farce, because the palies have a home already, its called Jordan. Most of what was originally Palestine, is now Jordan. The Palestine issue is nothing more than a ploy to Kill or force Israelis to move, in order to create the Middle Eastern Caliphate. Palestine/Israel belongs to the Jews first.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
lol what are you talking about. Have you forgotten Israelis invaded Palestine & most of its GOOD land after the Arab revolt? Though I support Israel's supremacy over Arabs since I believe Jews are superior, get your facts right.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I wonder what the people of Ireland think about this?

They've got some experience with religious extremism, terrorism, and the occupation those things cause.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingNothing

Put down the revisionist history books for a second... the Arabs Invaded Palestine first. Islam wasnt around 2000 years ago

Jews and Muslims lived in the *region* of Palestine under Turkish rule. After the Ottoman empire collapsed, muslims got their own states, and so did Jews. So, Jews had it, and Muslims took it

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Exactly what power does Ireland have at the UN. I didn't think they had much say in anything.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
I wonder what the people of Ireland think about this?

They've got some experience with religious extremism, terrorism, and the occupation those things cause.

As someone living in the north, I can assue you that Irelands citizens do support them...for the simple fact that they view Israel as the British.

This can be seen with murals, billboards supporting them in West belfast for one.

Also a few years back the prodestants where flying the Israel flag during the twelth to show solidarity to them.

Both sides over here take diffrent sides.

Lets not turn my comments into any form of bigority, we get enough of that over here.

Ps im in the view that the Palestinians are in the right, (coming from a prod)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Every group of people should have their right to exist recognized in the 21st Century world.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
the peace process froze after the camp david accord when president carter tried to solve the problem.
decades of diplomatic useless hot air later, still no change.

membership in the un, from what i can see, is an attempt to end the paralysis.

while an eternal status quo suits israel's politicians, it benefits no one else.

king david had the palestinians fighting in his army, could israel ever have that level of wisdom again?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join