It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Progressive Insurance Introduces SNAPSHOT To Track Driving Habits

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
What's the problem?
Switch cars with your grandparents for a month.
Send the device back.
Instant savings!

It collects the VIN hard coded in your car's computer - so Progressive would know. Big Sister knows everything.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

No conflict since you'd be switching cars.

And as for the address.
Just say your grandparents were ill and you were helping out around the house and staying there till they got better.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

I said switch cars. or swap cars.
it would still be your car.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Hmmm. Progressive. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. But when I hear "progressive" I think of bigger government.

Maybe I'm just a silly CT'er, but I'll stick with my company.

They don't encourag self-spying.

For the thread.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Whoa major Déjà vu moment.
I just remembered either dreaming or thinking about this before.

Insurance based gps tracking of driving habits.

Freaky.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Progressive has had these for a few years now. I got one, sent it back. Says it doesn't have GPS but who knows for sure. I'm not sure what the laws are on disclosing such things so I'd rather not risk it myself.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

I've never bought a car newer than 1990. Seen to many of my friends slaves to the car payments and I'm lucky enough to have alot of friends and family that are mechanics. The other thing is I like how older cars are built I hit a deer with an old buick of mine a few years ago and all I got was a few dents. My friend hit a deer a few weeks after my wreck and totaled that plastic piece of junk.Even the mechanics hate the newer cars with all the computer chips in those things it's crazy! I don't even use a GPS. I love my maps!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Would any of you volunteer for this?

I don't watch television much, but I like to leave it on just for background noise a lot of the time.

That "Flo" gives me the willies. I will get up, walk across the floor, just to change channels if I even hear a progressive commercial coming on.

Anythng else, doesn't bother me, but Progressive commercials to me are like nails on a blackboard.

Not only would I not volunteer for this, but the years of "Flo," have so incensed me that I would never even consider using Progressive. Any company that spends as much on advertising as they do, doesn't need my business anyway. Instead of spending peoples premiums on nasty commercials and gimmicks, THEY COULD BE offering customers some real savings by not doing so!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

I said switch cars. or swap cars.
it would still be your car.

Unless you live next to your grandparents, Progressive will figure out that your car is transmitting from a zipcode/county/state other than what your home address and work address are. They will KNOW.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

That "Flo" gives me the willies. I will get up, walk across the floor, just to change channels if I even hear a progressive commercial coming on.

Anythng else, doesn't bother me, but Progressive commercials to me are like nails on a blackboard.

100% agree with you there, those commercials make me feel ill, and they are CONSTANT on most channels during commercial breaks.

Car commercials alone are motivation to get me to change the channel no matter what I'm watching, they are so frequent and such a malicious bombardment to my senses, I think I can only handle a few more car commercials before my head explodes!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Ya know, I was just thinking... these little devices aren't supposed to contain GPS. Progressive says that it sends the equivalent of a text message that contains how many trips you've made in a day, how many miles driven and the number of hard breaks during the trip.

Now, I'll admit that I'm a bit technologically impaired when it comes to such things, but assuming that it sends a text message, wouldn't that mean that it has to use cell towers? And by using cell towers, wouldn't they be able to basically use triangulation to figure your location? If that's the case, it wouldn't have to have GPS. Right? They could still locate you.

If I'm wrong, please tell me. Like I said, I'm not an expert on such things, lol. It just sounds right in theory.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

This is true.
Or you can swap with a neighbor who doesn't drive alot.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
They'd probably send the info to your local Sheriff's dept or highway patrol, then they'd issue out tickets in the mail for speeding...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

That is exactly the point I made earlier. These things use cell phone towers (3G) to transmit data from your car to headquarters, and so they will generally know where you are (not very precise, but useful for them).

Technically they are correct that they aren't using "GPS" (Global Positioning System) satellites to get your location. Heck they could be using GLOSNASS and still be truthful in saying they don't use "GPS".

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Oh, Good Lord! So I click on this page to look at the new posts on here, and what is staring me right in the face at the top of the page next to the ATS banner?

A freaking Progressive ad, with "Flo" smiling right at me!

There's no escaping!

edit on 13-9-2011 by Blanca Rose because: typo

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Yep, agreed. I guess it's not in what they ARE telling you, it's in what they're NOT telling you.

Sneaky, sneaky. Wonder if they can monitor them if they're not plugged into a car... like if you charge one up and then maybe floated it out in the middle of a very large lake or something. Of course they'd pop you with $50 if you ruined the thing and didn't send it back but would be fun to mess with some minds, hehe.

edit on 9/13/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
How freaked out would they get if you put one in a helicopter?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
So let me get this straight . . . a corporation spent money to invent, patent, produce, and market a device that's sole purpose is to reduce the amount of money their customers pay them? Riiiight. That makes total sense.

edit on 13-9-2011 by Boreas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
After I read this thread today, I got in touch with a friend who I knew had Progressive. She got it about the same time I did. Anyway, I asked if she had one of the snapshot devices and she said she did... two of them actually. I told her about this thread and she had a look and decided she was ditching the thing ASAP, lol. Anyway, after she unplugged it, we managed to open it up and look inside. I took pics and will post them shortly. Now, I wouldn't know what an internal GPS device looked like if it smacked me in the face, but it did have a sim card in it. Thought some of you might want to see what's in there. Some of you will probably much better at identifying the parts than I am. I'm basically clueless when it comes to such things.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Wow! Awesome, I look forward to seeing what you got there.
Makes me feel good that I may have saved your friend some privacy.... but I'm sorry she might miss out on that discount. I'd rather have my privacy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join