It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Progressive Insurance Introduces SNAPSHOT To Track Driving Habits

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I don't know what to make of this, my instincts tell me it's more Big Brother slow boil induction of 24/7 cameras watching our every move.

We got cameras in our video game systems, which are connected to an online network,
we got cameras built in to all new laptops that can be easily hacked/accessed online,
we got cameras on our traffic lights, in most major cities and now small towns,
we got cameras in some of our Comcast digital cable boxes - Creepy Comast cameras

Now we can "volunteer" to have tracking in our cars monitoring speed, times, dates, frequency of driving, etc., and under the guise of saving money. Is this more indoctrination to less privacy and freedoms?

With Snapshot, Progressive’s usage-based insurance program, you could turn your good driving into huge savings—of up to 30 percent—on your car insurance.

Here’s how our usage-based insurance program works*:

Enroll online.
Sign up for Snapshot when you quote and buy your Progressive car insurance policy.

Plug the device into your car.
We’ll mail your Snapshot device to you, along with details on where to plug it into your car.

Drive as you normally do.
For the next 30 days, you’ll keep track of your good driving habits with the Snapshot device. You can log in to your Progressive policy anytime to see your projected Snapshot DiscountSM.

Enjoying your savings
On day 31, your initial Snapshot savings—which can be anywhere from 0 to 30 percent— kicks in. After six months, you’ll send back the device, we’ll finalize your driving snapshot, and you can keep saving for as long as you’re insured by Progressive.

You can only save money with Snapshot—your rate won’t go up—but if at any point, you decide the program isn’t right for you, just call us and then send back your device.

www.progressive.com...

Here are the commonly asked questions about SNAPSHOT -

www.progressive.com...

I posted this in the Gray Area (now moved to general conspiracies) because there is a slight possibility there is nothing nefarious going on here, alas, I know what country I'm in and I know we're in a slow boil to Big Brother totalitarianism.... "where the rule of law, not the law of the jungle, governs the conduct of man...."

Would any of you volunteer for this?
edit on 13-9-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I would love to get one of these, and see if someone at a crash derby could be so kind as to plug it into their car at each event. The ad says your rates can't go up. I'd give Progressive a call after a month and demand an explanation why my rates didn't drop.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
older cars cant take the device, soooo that should be mentioned

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Its a trap. Has to be. Would be pretty funny to slap it in a police cruiser though.

Yup.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
older cars cant take the device, soooo that should be mentioned

If it's got a diagnostic port, then it can take the device. That's the majority of cars on the road, those too old are an endangered species.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Yup, cameras every where. Got a new laptop and slapped a piece of tape over the camera.
As for progressive wouldn't have anything to do with it. In their frequently asked questions they contridicted themselves.

What information does the Snapshot device collect?
Time of day and vehicle speed, which helps determine how many miles you drive and how often you make sudden stops.
•Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
The Snapshot device doesn't contain GPS technology or track vehicle location. It also doesn't track whether you're exceeding the speed limit.

So which is it do they collect if you speed or don't they?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SemiDamaged

I would love to get one of these, and see if someone at a crash derby could be so kind as to plug it into their car at each event. The ad says your rates can't go up. I'd give Progressive a call after a month and demand an explanation why my rates didn't drop.

Oh, I love to see them in the head office recording that.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

Good catch mate, I missed that one.
Maybe they store that information on that small device? Not likely, but I have no idea what's inside them.
They say on day 31 your savings kick in, so they must be connected remotely to their network.
edit on 13-9-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I wonder when these companys are going to make this mandatory in order to get insurance! Thanks for the heads up OP!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I just switched to them and I saw this as an option when I was checking out. I didn't choose it, sounded weird to me too. They say it doesn't matter how you drive, you'll still get your discount. Then what is it there for? If I drive like a crazy person and endanger my life and the lives of others everytime I drive, why would they still want to save me money?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

Shoot, give 'em a year or two - it will probably be built into every car so we don't have a choice.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lilowl53
They say it doesn't matter how you drive, you'll still get your discount. Then what is it there for?

You win a cigar!
It is very strange, because if you are speeding all the time, wouldn't that be of concern to your insurance company? They are the ones paying out the damages you will cause by reckless driving. Contradictions and info that makes no sense should raise red flags with this option.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This is OBVIOUSLY a "foot-in-the-door" approach to full surveillance. NOW they say they won't use it to raise your rates, but....

Ask yourselves this: If insurance companies are using this device to ONLY lower rates for customers, then WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS?

Corporations only do things if it leads to greater profits. So, sure, for NOW they may not raise rates based on the data they collect, but believe you me, your driving habits will be going on your PERMANENT CORPORATE RECORD.

Once that data is analyzed for all participating customers, and they realize how much MORE money they can make by raising rates, they will raise rates. PLUS, credit card companies are VERY interested in this data because they can use it as a reason to up your credit card APR (which they already do by looking at your driving record).

That device will obviously have a 3G data card connected to cell phone towers, which can then be used to estimate your geographic location.

People, corporations want to know EVERYTHING they can about you so that they can A) charge you more in the long run and B) sell your information to third parties (corporations looking on how to charge you more or your personal habits)

edit on 9/13/2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I wouldn't be able to have one of these. I like having the freedom to go 1 or 2 miles above the speed limit once in a while. I don't like the idea of someone recording my every move. Driving nearly every singe day, I haven't been in an accident in many years, and dido for speeding tickets, so I like to think that I'm a pretty safe driver even if I overstep the limits once in a while. I saw the commercial and thought the same as you. On one hand it would be nice to save some money, but to sell my freedom that way,.....No thanks!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I would like to just add: I'm a Progressive Customer and I will *NOT* be participating with this Orwellian program.

All they need to know is that I DO NOT get into accidents, and I DO NOT get traffic citations. Everything else is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by jrkelly77

Shoot, give 'em a year or two - it will probably be built into every car so we don't have a choice.

It's already here. If you have a new car they already have a "black box" built in. I' have an 09 Dodge and that has a black box, so does the camaros too.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
They are totally lying in that commercial. In Rhode Island, you can actually see up to a 9% increase based on your driving habits, plus, and in GA & SC you will get charged $30 to use this stupid thing.

So, you would be paying them to charge you more. What a joke.

This is from their very own website:

*Snapshot is not available in all states and situations. In three states—GA, RI and SC—program details differ from what is described above; for example, you may see an increased rate—up to 9 percent—based on your driving habits, and a technology expense may be applied to your rate to cover the cost of the device and of transferring your driving data.

The Details page:

Georgia Drivers

The most you can save with Snapshot is 25 percent, which will be applied at the first policy renewal after enrolling in Snapshot. You could get a participation discount of up to 10 percent when you sign up for Snapshot. During each policy term you participate in Snapshot, you’ll be charged a $30 technology expense, which covers the cost of using the device to securely send your driving information.

Rhode Island

The most you can save with Snapshot is 25 percent, which will be applied at the first policy renewal after enrolling in Snapshot. We’ll adjust your discount every six months based on your driving. You might see an increase in your rate—up to 9 percent—based on your driving. If you can’t change your driving to reduce your rate, you can cancel the program at any time, and we’ll stop using any driving information you shared with us. After the first policy term you participate in Snapshot, you’ll be charged a $30 technology expense, which covers the cost of using the device to securely send your driving information.

South Carolina

The most you can save with Snapshot is 25 percent, which will be applied at the first policy renewal after enrolling in Snapshot. After the first policy term you participate in Snapshot, you’ll be charged a $30 technology expense, which covers the cost of using the device to securely send your driving information.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Progressive is one of those companies that i won't touch with a 10' pole. I decided long ago(1995) to never again buy a new car. Even back then, the amount of information your car stored on you was way too intrusive imo. Now, it is just insane. No thanks.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
What's the problem?
Switch cars with your grandparents for a month.
Send the device back.
Instant savings!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
What's the problem?
Switch cars with your grandparents for a month.
Send the device back.
Instant savings!

Very clever, but there would be address conflict on their GPS, and the VIN #s would be different.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join