It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God makes us weak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The problem with religion is that it undermines self.

When you want something good to happen - you pray.
When you need inner strength - you pray.
When you don't want something bad to happen - you pray.
When you want guidance - you pray.

And then,

-If things go your way, you thank god.
-If things don't go your way, you say that it must not have been in god's plan.

Why can't we just recognize that it isn't god that is changing the course of our history, it is us? Just as much as people praise god for all the 'good' that he has done for them, they also use god as a scapegoat for their short-comings.

Are people who believe in god weaker than those who do not?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
God means the greatest Good, (God is Good minus an O). so God may not necessarily mean a being who has likes or dislikes but rather a law of the universe. Otherwise, God is just a name, like Allah, or Dios, completely irrelevant. What God stands for, The Good, is the ideal that modern society has forgotten.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I wouldn't say "weaker" but god and religion are an "emotional crutch." Its one of the reasons, I believe, that religious people get so angry and defensive when confronted with the concept of there being no god... its actually their peace of mind being attacked.

God is a great big imaginary friend for adults.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
True but overall society has become weaker without religion and so has everyone as individuals.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slanter
I wouldn't say "weaker" but god and religion are an "emotional crutch." Its one of the reasons, I believe, that religious people get so angry and defensive when confronted with the concept of there being no god... its actually their peace of mind being attacked.

God is a great big imaginary friend for adults.

Senses
Imagination
Reason
Intelligence

Senses perceive objects, imagination holds objects in mind independent of sense knowledge, reason analyses the components of material objects independent of space and matter, and intelligence is what knows the purpose and function of things. God is on the level of intelligence, two levels higher than imagination.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by cassp83

Explanation: Please don't confuse God with Religion. Thank you!

Personal Disclosure: Uhmmm?

Why can't we just recognize that it isn't god that is changing the course of our history, it is us?

That would make us God and would therefor invalidate the argument! Because God is ..no matter what!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cassp83

And then,

Why can't we just recognize that it isn't god that is changing the course of our history, it is us? Just as much as people praise god for all the 'good' that he has done for them, they also use god as a scapegoat for their short-comings.

You forgot the worst. I screwed up -- its not my fault god made humans imperfect but he will forgive me -- so its not my fault. How does not accepting responsibility give you strength

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
True but overall society has become weaker without religion and so has everyone as individuals.

Please back up your statement.
Preferably with facts and not just opinion.
If by weaker you mean that people and society don't blindly follow the whims of the few based on religious rhetoric then you are mourning the fact that waving a 'holy book' and shouting is no longer an automatic route to power and influence. Are people weaker because Thor's wagon pulled by goats has been proved not to be the cause of thunder?
Thanks.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
You're generalizing something and looking at this from a purely western perspective. What your title should read is this: "The modern christian version of god makes us weak."

God makes us strong.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I'd say that's a pretty powerful crutch. I'm not Christian, but I can understand the feeling, and even in the video, which I understand that with it's hammy sad music and writing and editing is DESIGNED to evoke such feeling from me, I choke up

As I said, I'm not Christian, but the passage she quotes resonates with me:

Philippians 4:13
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.

So yeah, don't discount God just yet
edit on 13-9-2011 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
As I said, I'm not Christian, but the passage she quotes resonates with me:

Philippians 4:13
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.

That was a great video. An amazing comeback!

Here's the thing, though. I, too, have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. But I don't attribute it to something invisible or something outside myself. I learned that by living life and working hard to find MY inner strength and learning how to muster it up when I need it.

I think it's a shame that people attribute all their own talents and strength to a god. As human beings, we have amazing abilities and potential, but as long as we think those abilities come from some other place, we can't truly feel the security and self-love and the power of who we are.

If people give god the credit for all things good, why don't they blame him for all things bad, too. I mean, if we're just powerless pawns in a huge game of judge and be judged, then why is it that god gets the glory for all good things, but doesn't have any responsibility when things don't go so well?

If the girl had lost the race, would god be to blame? No. That's not how it works. It's one of the questions I had for my parents when I was just a kid. Why are good things attributed to god, but bad things aren't? If I work hard and do the right thing, and good things come to me, why should I give someone else the credit for my own hard work?

I don't think god makes people weak as the title suggests, but I don't think a belief in god makes anyone strong, either. I think we each have the potential for amazing inner strength. It's just a matter of tapping into it. If prayer helps with that, then it's all good. But the strength doesn't come from god. If that were the case, atheists would be weak and the religious would be strong and that doesn't pan out.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Oops! Double post.
edit on 9/13/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cassp83

This is exactly what I tell people.

If "I" want something I work hard for it...Not beg someone to help me get rich-oh lord I need a convertable...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Hey BH!

In this situation, I don't think it's a matter of "If the girl had lost the race, would God be to blame" thing.
As I understand the passage, it isn't that "God made her win" or "God let her win". It is that she drew strength from her belief and faith in God, and because of that, SHE got up, and she won. It wasn't really a matter of "I am praying before the race, let me win", and then when she fell God magically lifted her up.

I realise you could say "instead of drawing strength from her faith, she could've drawn from her inner strength", but I'd say that's pretty subjective for each person, and ultimately (at least for the outsider or the non-believer of that faith), it makes no difference for the result.
edit on 13-9-2011 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cassp83

You are correct. It isn't God 'changing' the course of history. There is nothing to change. History is written. We experience history as we ride the wave of change. All events are destiny, but not all actions are determined. Man has free will, but there are no actions in this world that are not answered by the laws of reaction in nature. If you drop an apple, it falls. This is action reaction. The entire course of history will happen as set by destiny. The sun will cycle on a set schedule. If a sun flare happens, it takes 8 minutes for it to arrive. God can come and tell us ahead that it is coming with 8 minutes to spare. We see it as happening 8 minutes later, yet it happened 8 minutes before. The entire universe is set in motion by God and will end as determined.

Let me ask you a question. Do you do anything to live other than think and move? Do you make your hair grow? Do you activate the cones and rods in your eyes for sight? Do you make the sun shine or the earth turn? No. The answer is this: You only think and move. Apart form these two, it is all done for you and set by nature in motion.

God isn't 'changing' as much as you are experiencing a story. Confucius said, "I hear and I forget. I see and I learn. I do and I understand." You have free will, but nature will happen around you by destiny. If you break the law and take from nature, it corrects your action. We see this as judgment of God. It is only the set law that the universe operates by.
edit on 13-9-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
Hey BH!

Hi!

In this situation, I don't think it's a matter of "If the girl had lost the race, would God be to blame" thing.

Yes, that part was more about addressing the OP.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Religion and God are two separate things my friend. I have no religion for my "Self" has come to know it's intimate connection with God. No religion was needed.

I do not want for anything, but am thankful for the treasures I have been given.

I do not need for anything. My needs are fulfilled before I realize them.

No, I trust that nothing bad will happen, and it doesn't.

I am content where I am. Always.

And then,

It is not about my way. It is God's way. I go his way and thank him for walking with me.

Again, it is not MY way.

What short comings? God has created me for HIS purpose. If there are short comings, it is your own judgement, not mine or Gods.

If some one is weak, it is my strength they can borrow. Are you stronger than two? How about 100? How about 1,000,000?

I believe in God because I see him in you. Would you lend me your strength if I needed it? Would you comfort me in my sorrow? Would you save me from suffering?

If you answer no, someone will answer YES! and there is my strength and faith in God.

With Love,

Your Brother

top topics

join