It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty rate rises in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Cnn

Amid a still struggling economy, more people in America fell below the poverty line last year, according to new census data released Tuesday. The nation's poverty rate rose to 15.1% in 2010, its highest level since 1993. In 2009, 14.3% of people in America were living in poverty.

money.cnn.com...
Yes, I remember the hard times in the early 1990's. I was so angry that I couldn't buy that Pearl Jam album or Avoid the Noid by not buying a pizza. Those where tough times. I just didn't believe that Moore's Law would be relevant between the lean times of 93 and the fat times the 2000's regarding American's weight.
I am being a little harsh. I do empathize with the societal pressures of today. I know that a smart phone is customary when waiting for the call from a potential employer or that dish is needed to watch that football game to relieve the stress of everyday life. And of course that dollar menu is craved when late to work. Don't get me wrong, I know that if we stop consuming that the whole ponzi scheme will collapse. We must protect ourselves. We must fight the urge to make a better situation for our children or maybe there's. It is important to make our lives comfortable.... for us...right? We are the ones here, now... Who knows? A comet might hit or Jersey Shore might be cancelled. Downgraded our lifestyle is just silly. We are just enslaved people..are we not? No where to escape to... Well, maybe online, to post something. You might be in a bind and have to type it out on your internet enabled phone. Damn buttons.. so tiny, just like our being.

edit on 13-9-2011 by BlackOops because: fix link

edit on Tue Sep 13 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: fix link

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I can't get your link to work

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WildWorld

See if that works.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I do not put too much faith in the last census, I know of several people that were never contacted about the census (including my household).

Also I am from Ohio (usually a state that is held as very important in elections) and we are now down 2 districts after the results of this census (2 Democratic districts have been made into 1 Democratic district and 2 Republican districts have been made into 1 Republican district) Not that I am saying there were people in Ohio that were not counted on purpose but it struck me as a strange coincidence since this is the start of a Presidential election run...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Ahh, you beat me to this!
Thanks for posting it as I feel that 2.6 million is a huge increase and it is just another sign that something needs to be done to turn this continuing difficult economy around. Creating more jobs would help, but we need something major to be done soon!

I also thought it would be cool to add this to the thread:
money.cnn.com...
It is map of the country, and when you put it over any state it tells you the percentage of the population that is below poverty.

My state California - 16.3%, T-13th worst in the country
Mississippi the worst at 22.7%
New Hampshire the best at 6.6%
edit on 9/13/2011 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOops

From a post I did earlier that was closed as this was pretty much the same. With new and improved added link for better taste!
Or is that bitter taste?

S&F for ya by the way.

I say screw 'em...those conducting the census in Washington I mean. Sure there are poor people out there, they cover the world, but those who feel that they are in poverty here in America are better off than many others.

I make well below poverty standards, but I prepared, invested, scrimped and saved. I live within my means on a fixed budget. I save for my wants and spend on my needs. And if I don’t have at least double the price of whatever it is I want, I don’t buy it. I make do with what I have.

I don’t need the latest and greatest tech gadget. I use what I have until it breaks and if I can repair it, I will. I am taking part in a community garden and learning to can. I reload all my own ammo. There are ways of making ends meet, even while poor. I consider myself a rich man.

news.yahoo.com...(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOops

Poverty rate rises in America

Reason?

I mean, why is the poverty rate in America on the rise?

Because the great middle class... or the jobs they used to hold, moved to China. The represents one of two things; the failure of the American version of Capitalism or the triumph of corporate greed over national pride. I tend to lean to the latter because if those millions upon millions of jobs that left US soil for that far away land were still here, there would be less poverty and more of those fat times.

We simply reached a standard of living that was too high to be comfortably sustained by its native private sector. As people gained more and more wealth, it became profitable to increase prices and as prices increased, so did payrolls... and it goes on and on.

For the time being, the Chinese are happy to work for peanuts because the cost of living is strictly controlled. Unlike the US, the currency doesn't depend on so many factors to remain at a given spot. As such, US industry can hammer out tons of goods to send back home...

... of course, the good folks back home will soon no longer have the jobs or money to afford them anymore. When that happens, and it most certainly will, this whole globalization concept is going to implode and leave a mess that will take centuries to recover from.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
pvoerty is on the rise for one simply reason

aint it aint corporatre greed i am sick of that nonsense.

its the simple fact that government knows best and noone else knows jack

hence regulating business and money out of this country

hence throwing billions of dollars at "education" that produce less than stellar results.

and the point of fact is jobs go to where the money is and to people who dont think they are too good to do anything.

its the failure of americans own citizenry and the failures of ourt own government

but lets just blame "corporate greed " but the reality it is about greed here

but the kind that says you need cell phones games consoles and everything "must have name brand item"

i swear if your going to be poor anywhere in the world america is the place

free food free homes free education all footed by other people.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I have a bad feeling that WW3 will take center stage soon. I hope not, it has been in the political wings since the '70's but it has been going on for a while now and people keep on denying it.

I think it's fixing to go global.

new topics

top topics

join