It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consciousness As A Platform. Existence IsJoy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
What is existence?

Is it consciousness?

The part of you that goes on and on without you thinking about it. Is that consciousness? Is consciousness the same as existence/ your beingness?

I'm thinking so.

So at the root of all your mental processes is your existence as a body or perhaps something more.

Before you think, and without thinking about it, you always 'are'.

This makes me think that whatever 'is' is the same existence as your existence. This tells me that I'm connected to the whole universe just by existing.

I want to talk about the ego.

The ego is what tries to identify existence. So you have existence/consciousness, and then you have the ego after that.

Not only does the ego try to identify its existence, but it tries to identify itself as existence.

This is impossible. Existence goes beyond identification, and can only be known by being it. So any time you try to become it, you are spending unecessary amounts of energy and thereby depleting your relationship to it because existence is not something you have to try to become, because you already are it. So trying to become existence, will bring you suffering.

Become aware of existence/consciousness, and you will become aware that your ego is constantly subconsciously attacking it. Your ego tries to morph it into something that serves a selfish desire. Were it not for your ego trying to manipulate your existence, then you would find out that existence is joy/love.

Joy comes to you when you have effectively halted your ego's work against your existence. Your brain will let the existence in you become what it has been trying to become. Existence is joy, but you constantly fight against it trying to express itself in that way often without even realizing that that is what you are doing.

It is not your existence, and it is not my existence. It is ours. So not only must you stop trying to fight it in yourself, you must stop trying to fight it in others in accordance with what your ego wants to see.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Nice thoughts. I like em.

I like the part about the ego and it sort of blocking off the flow of existence. Its like our conscious minds cannot allow something to "just be". It has to judge, confirm, deny, love, hate, true, false whatever events or ideas come across it. This is why many monks think that to eradicate the ego through meditation is the key to enlightenment.

But I also think you're getting near to the idea that to suppress the ego through meditation, drugs, flagellation, starvation or whatever other means is to refunnel us back into the world of the ego, the world of maya - where ego is bad, eternal consciousness is good.

The trick isnt to suppress and destroy the ego. The trick is to transcend the ego. Its always going to be there so we gotta learn how to deal with it. Let the ego handle some problems, like, damn thats a hungry tiger over there. But suspend the judgement when it comes to other matters, like, that guy just cut me off in traffic.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

As someone who has experienced an induced 'ego-death', I would argue that a 'pure existence' outside the bounds of self and ego would be quite unpleasant. I would think that the ego serves an integral purpose; it is, in essence, our very humanity.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
you havent happend to have read "a verry dangerous book"? if not i would reccomend it as it relates to this and is pretty interesting none the less.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by doctornamtab
Nice thoughts. I like em.

I like the part about the ego and it sort of blocking off the flow of existence. Its like our conscious minds cannot allow something to "just be". It has to judge, confirm, deny, love, hate, true, false whatever events or ideas come across it. This is why many monks think that to eradicate the ego through meditation is the key to enlightenment.

But I also think you're getting near to the idea that to suppress the ego through meditation, drugs, flagellation, starvation or whatever other means is to refunnel us back into the world of the ego, the world of maya - where ego is bad, eternal consciousness is good.

The trick isnt to suppress and destroy the ego. The trick is to transcend the ego. Its always going to be there so we gotta learn how to deal with it. Let the ego handle some problems, like, damn thats a hungry tiger over there. But suspend the judgement when it comes to other matters, like, that guy just cut me off in traffic.

Transcending the ego is a difficult task, and yes meditation is one of the best ways to do it.

I like what you said about having your ego on deck when it is needed most.

Its not like the ego ever goes away, but you can suspend its participation in your being. Then at a moment's notice, it will always be there as a tool for you to utilize.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by relpobre000
reply to post by smithjustinb

As someone who has experienced an induced 'ego-death', I would argue that a 'pure existence' outside the bounds of self and ego would be quite unpleasant. I would think that the ego serves an integral purpose; it is, in essence, our very humanity.

Don't get me wrong.

Existence is what you make it.

I think existence wants to express itself in you at all times as joy because that's what it is.

When you experienced your 'ego-death', perhaps it was not the ego that died, but rather it was your consciousness that diminished and left your ego pronounced in your being, and what you actually experienced was your ego totality. I can understand then, how that would be unpleasant.

Our ego is what makes us who we think we are. Without it, we are just what we are.

top topics

join