It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True happiness, what it is, how you can get there

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

"True happiness", eh? You make it sound as though you want to be "happy" every second of every minute of every day of your life. The thing is that it is neither normal, nor healthy nor desirable nor appropriate to be any emotion all the time. I certainly don't want to be happy in the event that my beloved passes away. It is normal to feel different feelings at different times. Such is the human existence to experience a range of emotions. I look at it this way - it's kind of like the weather - I love a warm, sunny day as much as the next guy, but if it never rains, you have a barren desert without life...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
In defense of the OP, I believe he is not writing about those ecstatic emotions we get when we win a lotto ticket, or have our crush from afar suddenly ask us for a date, and stuff like that. I don't go around grinning and giddy, and I had been very close to darkness, and understand that every second I'm alive, in this dimension, is a risk, because everything from cancer cells to cataclysms are stalking you, if not gunning for you. I don't know how to explain/describe my happiness, --yet-- I am certain I know what the OP means.
edit on 14-9-2011 by simone50m because: x

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Oh man, I totally think you're right about contentment and happiness. Happiness is fleeting. It's so incredibly fleeting that it's no wonder why so many people are miserable trying to find happiness and only seeing it disappear. If we were to find contentment first, that's harder to disappear. It's setting the bar lower thus lowering the odds of disappointment. And once we find that balance of contentment, it will only be that much easier to experience true happiness.

At least that's what I got from what you were saying. I wanted to add a further thought. What do you feel about Bliss? Bliss is being happy without reason to be happy. I would rank Bliss on a scale higher than contentment and happiness. Bliss is like the ultimate point on the happy scale. So, I get what you're saying, we should strive for contentment. But what about Bliss? Should we strive for bliss? I guess in your opinion it's like saying to reach contentment is its own bliss. Ah ha! I think I might have answered my own question. You're a genius!
edit on 14-9-2011 by Xaberz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheFlash
reply to post by filosophia

"True happiness", eh? You make it sound as though you want to be "happy" every second of every minute of every day of your life. The thing is that it is neither normal, nor healthy nor desirable nor appropriate to be any emotion all the time. I certainly don't want to be happy in the event that my beloved passes away. It is normal to feel different feelings at different times. Such is the human existence to experience a range of emotions. I look at it this way - it's kind of like the weather - I love a warm, sunny day as much as the next guy, but if it never rains, you have a barren desert without life...

Right! And that's why I don't think happiness is the meaning of life because there are so many other human emotions that are equally important.

There's a really good quote that I like dealing with this idea. "The road to freedom is not through feeling good; it is through feeling true to yourself." -Deepak Chopra

Perhaps the meaning of life is being true to oneself. If we are always true to ourselves that means we are always doing what is right. And isn't doing what's right sort of the meaning of life?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaberz

Very profound. You may have nailed it, precisely. all those times when I was neither happy nor content, is when I was NOT being true to my self.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
There is a difference between emotions and liberation. To liberate the mind is to free it from its temporal materialistic sense perception and instead turn towards the inner light of the soul. It is kind of like a sensation but more of a sixth sense. The proof of a higher self.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

Thank you!
I try! It's interesting that there are so many books on how to be happy, and they're all some 300 pages long, but maybe it's as simple as being true to yourself. Maybe that's all you need to do to be happy!

*cheers*

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaberz

New age books will tell you how to be happy by adjusting your career, but Boethius, Consolation of Philosophy is about the philosophical idea of happiness, it is a little over a hundred pages, and written in 525 AD, it is not exactly new age.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Each and every person is looking for happiness, this is intelligence. Even a one celled organism moves toward pleasure (food) and away from pain (toxic substance). The only reason so many are unhappy is because they don't realize that this is the way of the intelligent universe. Humans have been trained by society to love others but not to love themselves. Humans are taught not to be selfish and that they should give. It is a very strongly held belief that we will go to heaven if we are good (whatever good means?).
Happiness is our true nature. However humans are full of thoughts about how it could be better, it is these thoughts that delude us into thinking that we are unhappy. We believe we lack!! We think unhappiness into being.
Without thought how is there anything wrong?
When this moment is seen as complete with nothing lacking true happiness/contentment will be the result. Nothing needs to be added, no desire unfulfilled.
Wholeness. Holy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join