It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Currency in a SHTF Scenario

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
So, what do you think would be the best currency in general for a SHTF scenario?
Obviously, it may depend on what disaster happens, but I've kind of considered the following rules in my thought for it....

1) Has to be easy to carry, light

2) Has to be something others want, that I don't need

3) Has to be easily divisible into equal parts (for deciding price)

4) Has to be something that keeps well

5) Has to be something others would be willing to trade for, especially in lopsided trades.

In applying these rules, I've come up with Cigarettes as the best answer for me. I don't smoke, so wouldn't use them. They are pretty easy to carry, and light. Easy to divide up (individual packs or cigarettes), and they keep well. In addition, those addicted will be willing to trade more valuable items (like food and bullets, etc.) for them.

What other currency ideas have you come up with for such a likely barter situation?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Water would be an obvious one I think, though maybe not so light to carry.

I dont think there will be any one thing, just whatever you have that they want, wether it be cigs, water, food, clothes, a watch etc.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
only one word:
women

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I'll take a shot in the dark with my reply.
Matches and spices.

Maybe even batteries.
edit on 13-9-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Cigarettes, Coffee, Pain Killers, Penicillin, water purification tablets, salt, sugar, ammunition, whiskey, vegetable seeds. A pack of disposable lighters or a flint stone.

Just a few but these will be valuable.

edit on 13-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I would say ammo, in various calibers, say the most popular rounds, 22mm,9mm,45acp etc

easily divided and carried.

Others will want, and if you properly planned you could have a surplus you dont need.

Im in the process of buying reloading supplies atm, that would be useful as well.

ahem, yes and i well have the skills to hand roll cigs real well also...

edit on 13-9-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

link   
This may seem silly but what about a skill like sewing? You can carry a needle and lots of thread very easily. And if you weren't real squeamish, you could stitch people up as well.

Just a thought.

link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Although not very light to carry I found out after a major hurricane took out the power in my area for over a month that after cigarettes the best item I had to trade was gasoline. Next in line was regular old kitchen matches closely followed by sugar. I also received some interesting trades for antibiotic ointment. Beer was also a big trade item.

You are on the right path with cigarettes though. People were breaking into stores and wiping them out of cigs. I had friends coming from another area every 4-5 days bringing in cigarettes and they were like gold around here.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Anyone ever play fallout 3? the currency in that game was bottle caps. Im guessing the metal kind. Small, portable, and in a SHTF scenario, would become scarce, which would make them valuable.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I have chosen ammo to be my currency of choice. I have pretty much all the ammo I think I would need and then some extra for trading. This will only apply if it is a bug-in scenario where I can stay put because there is no way I could carry all the ammo I have. So if it is a bug out situation I will take what I can carry and will just have to rely more on my skills until I can get situated again. It would suck to have to leave all that ammo behind but if that is what I have to do then so be it.

Yes reloading is the way to go, I have reloaded every bullet I own with the exception of some specialty defense rounds.

edit on 13-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I think the answer is "it depends". It depends on a particular area and conditions prevailing therein, so the question is ill-constructed.

As en example:

In arid areas, water would something people would consider buying and trading. In cold climate, animal pelts would be important (and yes it was already a form of currency, historically). In areas depending on fishing, tackle would be a sought-after form of barter.

Abstracting from this, I can think of the following geographically-neutral forms of currency:
1) salt (has been such already in ancient times)
2) domesticated animals (ditto)
3) wheat and other cereals (ditto)
4) alcohol -- because it's food, antiseptic, fuel and drug in one flask, however it can be derived from (3).

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
personally i'd never trade ammo as once you're out they can use those bullets back at you

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think you are on the right track with cigarettes, but don't stop there. All vices would be great bargaining tools. I would probably start making my own wine, as well as setting up a still to make whiskey. I would possibly grow some marijuana, but would have to have a safe spot for that, because it would be easily stolen.
I think once you have established a stock of easily traded and sought after items, your next biggest problem will be concealing how much you actually have, so you don't become a target. If the people your trading with think that it would be worth their while to just take you out to get your supplies, they will probably try .

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Zombies?
Dead Bodies?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
"Fallout" the pc game already explains this people... Bottle Cap Currency.

A Coke-a-Cola cap is worth 5 Sprite caps, which is worth 10 Mr. Pibb caps.
Pepsi caps are worthless, though I'd personally argue that Mountain Dew caps should be as good as gold.

Kidding.

If the wheels fall off it'll probably go back to a barter system. Currency is for governments, not people.

reply to post by sicksonezer0

Great minds, sir. Great minds.
edit on 13-9-2011 by thesungod because: Sicksonezer posted while I was writing mine... That's what I get for going to the bathroom.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Which is why when you are trading you do not lay all your eggs, so to speak, all out on the table. Only show what you are willing to part with at the time while the rest stays hidden.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

....Pain Killers....

By far, the best suggestion on this page.
Nerve pills also.
Find the right person, and you could probably get a carton of smokes for 1 Xanax and 1 Lortab.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

people should trade in cats
or atleast cat fur

link   
I would guess that Salt, Seeds, Medicine and water purification tablets would would well and maybe beef jerky. Delicious and salty protein filled beef jerky.

link   
pre 1965 US 90% silver coins is my game plan for currency in SHTF world!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join