It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2nd warmest US summer on record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
According to the NOAA National Climatic Data Center, the summer of 2011 was the 2nd warmest US summer on record. The average temperature this summer was 74.5 degrees; the record was 74.6 degrees in 1936.

www.noaanews.noaa.gov...

The blistering heat experienced by the nation during August, as well as the June through August months, marks the second warmest summer on record according to scientists at NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) in Asheville, N.C. The persistent heat, combined with below-average precipitation across the southern U.S. during August and the three summer months, continued a record-breaking drought across the region. The average U.S. temperature in August was 75.7 degrees F, which is 3.0 degrees above the long-term (1901-2000) average, while the summertime temperature was 74.5 degrees F, which is 2.4 degrees above average. The warmest August on record for the contiguous United States was 75.8 degrees F in 1983, while its warmest summer on record at 74.6 degrees F occurred in 1936. Precipitation across the nation during August averaged 2.31 inches, 0.29 inches below the long-term average. The nationwide summer precipitation was 1.0 inch below average.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ffman

And the point is?????

Aren't we on the tail end of the last mini ice age?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

And the point is....it's worthy of a topic and discussion?

A US summer has not been this hot since 1936 - 65 years ago.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Here's another way to look at it:

2nd warmest?
Sounds like things are getting cooler.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I sure hope it's getting cooler. I ***HATE*** being hot (temperature-wise) This morning, before 9am, I was feeling miserable and humid. The Weather Channel says right now, it's 60's, but I've had my AC on highest cool.
I hope next summer is a cooler one. Much.
edit on 13-9-2011 by simone50m because: edit

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Central Oregon here (high desert @ 3500 feet).

This is the warmest September I've experienced since living here. It's regularly been in the 90's almost this entire month so far. It's warm at night. Very unusual.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ffman
reply to post by macman

And the point is....it's worthy of a topic and discussion?

A US summer has not been this hot since 1936 - 65 years ago.

So, this sounds to me that summers have been cooler since 1936. Global cooling? Maybe they were right in the 70's.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The strange part is the Calif desert where i live has been about 5º cooler then normal all summer.

This have been a strange year its not a El Nino or La Nina year its in between the two weather patterns.
This is very rare weather pattern.
next year is predicted to be a La Nina year.
www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov...
www.stormfax.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
meanwhile in holland: wettest summer since 1906 ...
After an extremely cold winter I could have used some sun, so be happy with what you get!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I live in the intermountain west of the USA. During the past few summers we have been cooler in my area than normal. Much cooler. I find it surreal to learn it was one of the hottest summers on record. I guess it just depends where you live.

top topics

join