It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the finest weapons ever made....TAC®-300 McMilla Tactical Rifle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
It's always nice to dream about owning one of the best rifles ever made... let me share with you one that sits at the top of my wet dream list... The TAC 300

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/957f09db6fbd.jpg[/atsimg]
(1) Adjustable Cheekpiece. An integral adjustable cheekpiece positions your head perfectly.

(2) Tight Benchrest Tolerances. Barrel threads and the chamber are cut to critical tolerances and fit by hand. The barrel axis is perfectly in line with the bolt axis. The bolt face and action face are perpendicular to the barrel axis. The action is pillar-bedded into the stock and the barrel is free-floated. All dimensions are held to competition benchrest standards.

(3) Square-Surfaced Recoil Lugs. Recoil lugs are surface ground on both sides and pinned to the receiver to produce a perfectly square mating between the action face and the barrel shank.

(4) Thread Cap Provided. On all rifles, a cap protects threads when a suppressor or brake is not in use. A muzzle brake is standard on the TAC-338.

(5) Match Grade Barrels. All McMillan barrels are premium-selected, hand-lapped, match-grade barrels from the finest barrel makers in the country. Barrels are stainless steel with a matte finish.

(6) Accessories Are Available. Bipods, scopes, night vision, extra magazines, slings and other options are available through McMillan.

(7) Hinged Floorplate or Detachable Box Magazine. A positive functioning hinged steel floorplate provides easy unloading, yet is more rugged than production firearms to withstand the rigors of daily field use. Or you may choose our floorplate system that includes a reliable-feeding detachable box magazine. The prominent magazine release can be operated easily with gloved fingers.

(8) Crisp Trigger. The trigger is tuned to a 3 lb. pull which is standard for most professional tactical organizations. The trigger pull can be adjusted by any-competent gunsmith.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/27a770b42f44.jpg[/atsimg]

Little wonder MSRP starts $5399 (real world $5200) a complete package like you see in the photo above will set you back just three bills under 8 grand...

I know many will ask... Why the 300 win mag... why not a .338? simple... "Cartage availability" the truth is there is only a few choices for the .338 but within the world of .30 my options are almost limiteless... and a lot cheaper then the $5 per shot of a .338...

I've only ever gotten to shot this bad boy once... They come with a Leupold Mark 4 3.5 10x40mm M1 Mil Dot scope and the new owner wanted it professionally installed and sighted in... three rounds through this fine machine was all I got... with match ammo those three shots at a 100 yards could be covered with a quarter... his was black but the catalog shows they come in a verity of flavors... Black, Olive, Gray, Tan, Dark Earth ...

oh to be rich to afford these kinds of toys... why did I have to be born so damn good looking instead ....

By the way... if anyone from McMillan ever reads this... feel free to send me one for extensive field testing and a better review.... it shouldn't take more than ten or twenty years

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 17/9/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Boing!!!
Great firearm, but damn that is expensive!!

I am in the market for a nice .308 in Bolt action to go along with my CETME (a cheaper version of the HK/PTR).

I like the CETME and after a few upgrades it performs well, but I don't plan to cheap out on my next rifle. I certainly don't have the $$$ to put out for a weapon system like above, but if you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate your expertise.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I actually got to shoot one of these once. A Fed Agent that attended an informal shoot that I was at had one with him.
Unfortunately, we were at a 100 meter range that day. But we shot it, and I will tell you that I was able to fire three rounds, the second two going through the hole made by the first round, from a bench rest. I would have loved to been able to shoot a little further with it.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

Take a look at model 12 series Savage...accutrigger....glass lined free floating barrel....recessed crown....very affordable ...very accurate

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

$1,300 smacker-roos
Springfield Armory aa9626 M1A socom16 308

or you might want to look at the $995 DS ARMS STG58 308WIN 21''
that ones a Fin Fal copy and not a bad little gun

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
You have impeccable taste in rifles and I am in no way in disagreement with you in any way. It would indeed be a dream to own, but as I have learned with the differences between hunting dogs, as long as you know your dog and your dog knows you, that is when the hunting can become truly great sport.

I use this same ad hoc analogy for rifles, because while you indeed have selected a dream of a weapon to own, I see that in cost, it is very expensive.

I understand why the best costs as it does, but I am also a realist and because of that fact, and only because I considered the TAC300 a while back, I instead and purely because of cost differences, elected to opt for a Savage Mdl 10 in the .308 caliber. I am pleased that I did, because it was like falling in love.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0470dca4901c.jpg[/atsimg]

It has a 24" fluted barrel, bolt action, 10 round magazine, comes with an accu scope, accu trigger and even with a multi position stock upgrade, the whole package and case comes in at about or under depending on where you buy, this rifle will run you $2,000. dollars more or less.

For such a cost and for what this rifle can do, it is in my opinion a keeper and at the price, you could buy four of the savage rifles at what it would cost you to buy TAC300.

While preference and functionality are what matter to many, I have found this rifle to be of exacting quality and with matched with the proper ammunition, this rifle will make you smile after ever shot once you get familiar with the rifle.

The TAC300 is a top quality rifle, but for comparison and for how I will use it in my geographical area where I live, this Savage rifle is well worth the money and after you get to know each other, I am certain the Savage will put that grin on your face that I am certain you know what I refer to.

Both are great rifles and yes the TAC300 is the king of quality, but for the more frugal and who still demand demanding quality in such rifles, I would not exclude or undermine the Savage Mdl10 .308 as a rifle to own.

Thanks again for the thread.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

Nice... very nice...
I do like Savage arms....

if I have any complaints it's that one year Warranty seems a bit outdated when other manufactures offer lifetime Warranty for the original owners....

if anyone form savage is reading this... making that single change would go a long way in boasting sales in my book

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
thanks op for your post of the TAC 300, i would be interested in your thoughts on this one, for i am a REM fan, www.tactical-life.com... do not let the 338 get to you, can be set up for any cal, i do like the 30-06 or the 7mm.
300 and 308, never did appeal to me, do like the 303, maybe if i get a 308 in a Enfiled SMLE stock?
( if all fails, a 30-06 spring '03 will do. For you youngsters that's a 1903 spring field. )

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Yep, wish I had the money to get that, and some others on my wishlist.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
thanks op for your post of the TAC 300, i would be interested in your thoughts on this one, for i am a REM fan, www.tactical-life.com... do not let the 338 get to you, can be set up for any cal, i do like the 30-06 or the 7mm.
300 and 308, never did appeal to me, do like the 303, maybe if i get a 308 in a Enfiled SMLE stock?
( if all fails, a 30-06 spring '03 will do. For you youngsters that's a 1903 spring field. )

yeah... I Know that gun... Remington MSR... that's the civilian version of the Issue M24
MSRP base rifle is like $2,889... not cheap...but a fine gun indeed...

For people like me on a budget I get the same performance out of a gun I bought used for $600... added anther $200 in upgrades and made myself one fine Winchester M70 300 wsm all for less than a grand
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fcf11f13d1cf.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

yes it is a "wish list" like you a 200$ to 600$ rifle is good enough, it is not the rifle it is the shooter that makes the rifle, got a 50$ BP , good enough for me, for hunting, self defense 44 rem sas

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Reminds me of the AWP from Counter Strike.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Accuracy International Arctic Warfare... yup it's a real gun... British made... dont recall ever seeing one in the States... old school came out in the very early 1980's... they still make em... comes in assorted flavors too...
.243 Winchester
7.62x51mm NATO (.308)
.300 Win Mag
.338 Lapua
edit on 13-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Never did like all that accessory and marketing crap.

You don’t shoot bench rest in real world situations. Unless you have a thick layer of clothing on, a “military style” rifle slung over your shoulder will tear your back up after a few miles of walking. You have to have something that fits day to day real world use.

Just give me a stevens 200 bolt action in 300 win mag, with wood stock. Throw a custom barrel on it, and some good optics, and to hell with the rest.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
What exactly would you plan to do with such an overpowered rifle? Shoot deer from a few miles away? Or blast there legs off completely?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gossipnancy

Don't many Americans just like to take these sorts of guns to the shooting range? It is overkill for hunting i imagine, although im not well educated in guns to be honest...but i thought these types of weapons were mostly for having some fun at the shooting range and not a practical piece of hunting equipment.
I guess if you think the world economy will implode and a SHTF scenario is drawing near it would be useful too...
edit on 13-9-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

While range time is great, and there are those that shoot strictly at ranges, this rifle is designed not just for big bullets. It is designed for great distances. Taking a Moose or Elk at 600 yards would be what this rifle was made for, within the hunting world. The projectile can be modified to suite the needs. A smaller, steel jacketed round would produce a smaller hole, those providing more meat and better hide.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

In this day and age maybe 15% of the American public still hunts.... of that number most of them only hunt from a hide/tree stand or blind... So lets say only %3 of all hunters still hike up a mountain and stalk game... well that's me... pack in 20 miles... take a few days to scope out the elk... pick my target and go to work...
Often in the Rockies rangers can exceed 500 meters... I'll shot out to 700 meters... do I need this rifle to do it... no... But just like I don't need a big old Lincoln to drive to work everyday doesn't stop me from wanting one...

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Very Nice! But way out of my check book..
I have an old BDL 700 in 7mm Mag. Would post a pic, but not smart enough yet!!
edit on 13-9-2011 by oldshooter1979 because: Trying to post a picture

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
F this i'm getting .50 cal

top topics

<<   2 >>

join